The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

wheel backspacing for big brake kit

just wondering what sizes are being used with the camaro caliper big brake kit. Seems like 35mm would be ideal but how far off can i go. i found a set of wheels with a ssr type c's with a 38mm offset but i dont know if the spokes will clear the calipers. any ideas?

I have the Baer BBK on my car and I run SSR Type C's +40 offset 18 x 7.5. I would probably say that a +40 offset on a 18 x 7.5 would be the lowest you'd want to go. The higher the offset the closer the wheel will be to the hub.

Daryl

Last edited by a moderator:

+38 would push the wheel 2mm further out. The +40 on my car is right at the fender in the front.

Daryl

so you think i will have an issue with fender clearance? my main concern is the spokes clearing the calipers

Last edited by a moderator:

The lower the number the further away from the hub. +38 and lower will clear the caliper no problem,but then you'll have wheels that potentially stick out past the fender (maybe on +38,definitely on +35). +40 will fit like you see in the third picture,flush with the body work. All of the above is assuming we are talking about a 18 x 7.5" rim.

However for example if you tried to do +42 and +44 that will bring the wheels closer to the caliper and away from the inside edge of the fender. Possible in the rear but not in the front with those calipers.

Daryl

ok thats what i was looking for so they *should* theoretically fit. BTW i do have coilovers so im not to worried about rubbing there and the wheels will most likely be 8" wide. im not to worried about the fenders so much because if i have to i can just roll the fenders out a bit.

a2vr4

Your car looks beautiful! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif do you have any full pictures? my comps is begging for a new wallpaper! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif
~Brian

p.s. sorry to thread jack... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Last edited:

On the two offsets you mentioned +35 and +38 you will clear the calipers with no problem,because my +40 is in fact closer to the caliper than both of those offsets and it clears them without issue.

Daryl

Quote:
Your car looks beautiful! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif do you have any full pictures? my comps is begging for a new wallpaper! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif
~Brian

p.s. sorry to thread jack... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Thanks for the kind words,PM me your email address and I can email them to you.

Random pic of my Evo with Volk CE28N Time Attack Edition wheels,18 x 9.5 with 265/35/18 all around.

Daryl

a2vr4

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif pm sent! thanks!!
~brian

atc250r

Staff member
I've got 45mm offset on mine with 17x8's. The spoke design is often the bigger obstacle in caliper clearance. My previous wheels were Konig Tuners, 17x7 with a 35mm offset and they didn't have a chance in hell of clearing due to the spoke design.

John

4Grim

When I installed the EVO wheels on my GVR4 the fronts don't stick out that much. I haven't had any issues with rubbing either..then again the car isn't extremely lowered. To even things out for the rears I installed 10mm spacers. I occassionally rub in the rear especially on the rear doglegs on some really tight bumper turns..but the rubbing is very very light. There is plenty of room for me to upgrade the brakes hopefully next year.

FYI: Evo enkies are 17x8 +38mm offset

evo8ya

what size tires? ^^^^^^^^^

kartorium

like john said, focus more on spoke design, dimensions and thickness of spoke, and mounting pad thickness. Offset could be changed by increasing the thickness of the mounting pad, which would lower the offset and in turn help to clear your brakes. That doesn't mean the wheel was designed and manufactured that way though. getting a wheel with the "right" offset won't guarantee that the wheel will work with your brakes.

Whilst the design of the wheel is important to a degree,offset and wheel width are the primary determining factors in whether a wheel will fit or not. In the case of 2 and 3 piece wheels you also have the option on some wheels to order a center section with a high pad or low pad face. There is no such thing as the one right offset for any given car,you can however have the wrong offset.

There are offsets that are safe,and those that are considered agressive and may require fender rolling or shaving. If you have a wheel where the spokes are contacting the calipers that is more of a case of the wrong offset for that application than the design of the spokes. The same wheel in a different width and offset is all is the difference between the one that clears the caliper or not. If the wheel is not offered in the offset/width needed then that may not be the wheel for you. You can always add spacers,but there is a limit to the size of the spacer you'd want to put on the car and still have it safe for spirited use.

Daryl

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I have to agree with Karter and John on this one. Picture a spoke design that goes basically straight vertically from the hub to the wheel rim. If that hub mounting face moves in or out as the offset changes and the design stays the same, it won't clear wide calipers regardless of the offset.

You are mentioning that some wheels fit in certain offsets and not in others, that leads me to believe that the actual locus/arc of the spokes changes with the offset, not just the offset. Actually using a lower offset wheel and adding spacers may be a better bet (again, dependent on spoke design) as space gained with the spacer is all spacing away from the hub, providing more caliper clearance.

The only thing changed by going to a different offset is the hubs (where the wheel is mounted) distance to the centerline of the wheel. Below is an explanation for reference.

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=101&currentpage=103

By changing the offset all you've done is either moved the hub of the wheel either further or closer to the hub of the car. By adding a spacer or machining the hub you are doing the same. The design of the spoke has not changed. On one of my other cars I run a 3 piece SSR wheel in a staggered size with dramatically different offsets. I can change the center section of either of those wheels and the only difference between the two is the amount of material on one hub to the other. The spoke on each wheel is exactly the same width,length,thickness and radius.

In the time I've had my Galant with the Baer kit I've owned 4 different sets of wheels,all of which were ordered by size,width and offset. Including a set of 3 piece wheels with different offsets front and rear but the same width. All have fit,because I buy wheels based on width and offset to fit the caliper,not the design of the spoke. Below is an excerpt taken from Tire Racks website and explains how the right wheel is determined for the application.

But proper size is more than a round wheel of an exact diameter. To properly fit on a vehicle the wheel must have the proper bolt pattern, centerbore, offset, width and, most importantly, the proper load capacity for the vehicle.

This is the full article.

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=103&currentpage=101

The OP's question referenced the same wheel I have on my car,but compared 2 different offsets and an 8" width versus the 7.5" I have on my car. Both offsets were lower than mine and the 1/2" width difference pushed the wheel further out than my setup. This is just my opinion gathered from reading,people I know in the wheel industry along with my personal experience buying wheels for my personal cars.

Daryl

i understand what you all are saying i guess what i was looking for was more towards actual use opinions liek what has been known to work. like will +35 work with all wheels or will it only work on some wheels therefore i should try something with a larger (smaller numerical) offset. im not so much worried about fender clearance as a i stated before that i can roll the fenders to clear the wheels but i was mostly wondering if anyone knew of a safe offset that any wheel would clear the spokes on and not have to much of a fender clearance issue

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts