The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Washer bottle relocation

skivittlerjimb

Just looking for some ideas and some BTDT (been there done that)advice. Here's my current washer bottle "relocation" effort:
img.php

Pretty lame way to lower it to have it clear the WL strut bar and still have the water injection system pick-up that's mounted underneath it not hit anything and not leak. i realize I could locate the WL bar over the intake but I much prefer the way it's mounted now.

Anyway, I've searched a bit and some folks seem to recommend a long neck bottle that would allow you to mount it lower down but still in close to the stock location. What models have folks taken these from? Also, with the cruise set up gone there might be enough space to mount it against the firewall using those bolt holes and a strap or some sort of cradle mount. It needs to be secure and retaining the stock washer pump as well as the water injection system pick up is desired. Larger overall capacity would be great, too, but not critical. Anyone have a good solution? Pics are appreciated. Thanks!

-Jim B.
280/1000
1432/2000

CP

Move it forward 5", using the rear mounting hole on the bottle with the front hole on the shock tower. That's where mine is. I only keep it a few squirts worth of fluid in it anyway, so it's not too heavy for how I've got it mounted.

skivittlerjimb

That's what I did with the old car, but on this car it would interfere with where the battery power tap is, as well as where the water injection system controller is. That stuff could be moved, though. Also, that method tilts the bottle forward 20 degrees or so, which with the way the water inj. pick up is located, would likely cause it to leak. I may give that method a try if I can't find any other way to locate it.

-Jim B.
280/1000
1432/2000

Muskrat

It looks like you just need to move it forward a few inches. Why not make some some "extenders". Just get a few pieces of metal (steel, aluminum, whatever you can find) about 1/8" thick and whatever length and width you need. Drill a few holes on them, bolt one end to the strut tower and the other to the bottle.

Ian M

We moved my brother-in-law's (project67) to the firewall behind the AC line. IIRC (it's been a while), a couple of the holes line up,and he made a small bracket to utilize all the holes. The notch in the bottle lines up with the AC line almost like it was meant to be mounted there. I think he has pics of it.

Last edited:

curtis

I used a talon unit on mine. The bottle is under the stock battery area and the tube comes up through the square hole thats there from the factory.

CP

Mine sits perfectly level moved forward 5" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4Grim

Quote:
Mine is just rotated on the front bolt, so it angles forward.

I did the same...haven't had a issue.

skivittlerjimb

Quote:
Mine sits perfectly level moved forward 5"

That's because you're using just one mounting bolt now. If I understand correctly, you're using the rear mounting hole on the front mounting point, so the front mounting point and bottom mounting point are unused. That's fine, but with a full bottle, heavy g-loads, bumps, etc., I'm worried that the mounting point's plastic would eventually crack without some sort of additional strap or brace.

The tilt method would work fine if I could get the water injection system's pick up point not to leak when it's tilted at an angle. It's in a grommet in a drilled in hole in the very bottom of the bottle with a hose running to the water injection pump. I'll have to take a closer look at how it's mounted in there to see if I can shore it up a little better.

Curtis, was the Talon bottle from a 1G? I may pick one up at the yard to see how that might work. Thanks for the tip!

-Jim B.
280/1000
1432/2000

curtis

I think it was from a first gen here's some pictures....I made the top bracket and used one of the existing battery mounts for the top and the side bolt is just bolted to the inter fender well. I was going to use this as an intercooler sprayer but needed a place for the turbo oil accumulator so the factory bottle had to go.

Also the factory conquests have a nice little bottle in the rear that has a black rubber flexible fill hose. I have one of those also. I may use it for meth.

First off, don't mind the mess, I'm mocking up my Intercooler pipes. Here is my relocation, I wanted to use a 1st gen washer bottle but couldn't find a decent one and I am also on a very limited budget, being that the baby is due in June, although I probably did this months ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts