The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

765/1000 Project Log

What the hell, why not?

As with every other GVR-4 owner out there, I want to preserve mine just as much as anyone else. I finally have a car that is worth putting hundreds of hours on, so I have began to do some pretty crazy crap to the car, well at least I think so.

I pulled the motor a few weeks ago. It's going to be a 16G car, for now, so I won't be doing anything crazy to the motor besides a freshening of the head along with a porting and polishing that will take just enough material out to remove the casting imperfections. The motor will be cleaned, of course, and I will assemble it with a fresh OEM head gasket, ARP head studs, new front case with the balance shafts removed, and new timing stuff. Pretty much I have no desire to do an engine break in and the motor has 155psi compression +/- 2psi variance. I have a set of FP2 cams and Crower springs and retainers that will also make their way into the head.

The chassis is where I'm doing all of the time-consuming work. I dropped the front and rear subframes out of the car. I have sourced a place to do some media blasting (You may have heard of it... Vermont Sportscar /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif) and powdercoating, locally, so both front and rear subframes will be stripped down to bare metal and then powdercoated black. From this thread you can see that I will be installing as much whiteline bushings possible; I will go OEM with the rest. That thread also contains pictures of the subframes that I pulled out.

Stripping undercoat is a complete bitch. Instead of stripping all of it, I may strip around the edges and where there are holes from the factory. I have noticed that there tends to be surface rust UNDER the undercoat around the edges where there are holes from the factory. I fortunately have not found any new holes from body rot. In general, the shape of the car is pretty good. I was surprised how good of shape it was. There are definitely some areas that will be focused on, but overall, I shouldn't have anymore than 50 or so hours under the car stripping and undercoating.

A little history on the car. Need I say more? I bought the car this summer after a friend mentioned it to me. He said he though it "had some problems," but boy was he wrong... I spoke with the previous owner and he seemed like a really decent guy. His son had been the actual owner of the car and was obsessive about washing/waxing/cleaning the interior and the exterior. He apparently made a point to at least once a week go to the car wash that cleaned the underneath too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I went to look at it and I KNEW I had to have it, I was however afraid of the price I anticipated. The previous owner even put it way up in the air and let me roll around underneath it; he seemed to be very proud of how clean it was. To make a long story short, and I quote, "Well, since I got it for such a good deal due to it being a new car salesmen that sold me the car, I'll pass my savings on to you..." He did get a good deal on it; I have the receipt to prove it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Did I mention that I have every receipt for any activity that ever went on with this car AND a "gas log" of when the previous owners got gas? I lucked out, big time, and so this is why I'm spending so much time (and money) on trying to preserve a car like this.

Here come the pictures:

When I first Got it...

Like I mentioned, I started to do some work on the underside of the car. Here are some pictures of the finished rear passenger wheel well cleaned up and freshly re-undercoated...

I also started working on the front passenger's side wheel well. I didn't finish it tonight, but I got a pretty good start. Pretty clean, eh?

Empty engine bay pictures... Reminder: this car has been a Vermont car it's entire life; the original owner of the car is/was a Middlebury College Professor.

General under car pictures...

Passenger's side frame rail...

Tunnel of love...

The worst of the rust... It looks bad, but that is untouched. I haven't done any brushing, scraping, drilling, grinding, etc. yet. I have this 3M "rust remover" pad that rips surface rust right off and I also picked up this stuff that is supposed to have some kind of chemical reaction with rust /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif f***

G

Staff member
sweet.

NYC86ZC

Nice car...keep us updated. Mine has little to no rust either. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I dunno if you're a skiier/boarder, but I may be going up to Jay Peak this week. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

spooling92vr4

nice job.. i did the same on my galant and pulled the subframes out and undercoated everything.. you should por 15 the stuff and then undercoat.. this way you dont have to do it again

Had a few hours today. Boy I hate undercoat!

Ready for seam sealer and undercoat!

The driver's side wheel well certainly needs some work! I finally found the worst of the rust on the car...

Started ripping some of it off... If anyone is tacking this job, I would highly recommend a angle grinder with a knoted wire attachment.

~Mark

Last edited by a moderator:

acidrumz

looking nice! are you planning to paint the engine bay with paint or all undercoating?

later.

Just going to clean it up and possibly paint it depending on how clean it comes out.

~Mark

looks good i wish i had the time/tools to do what you are doing so for now im keeping it to mechanical stuff. keeps up the good work and keep us updated

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts