The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Scirocco style radiator install

Here is how my radiator went in where the A/C used to be. I know there are other posts around about it but this may clarify a few things.
Required Parts:
AFCO scirocco style radiator
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=AFC%2D80107N&N=700+400567+4294924500+115&autoview=sku

1G DSM water neck with filler cap

14" universal 1.25"-1.5" Radiator hose
16" universal 1.25"-1.5" Radiator hose
The hoses can be found at Kragen, just ask the pimpled kid to go look around in back for them.

New thermostat 180*

Here is how far back I tucked it in:
overhead.jpg

You can see there is plenty of room on either side now for 3" IC pipes
DCFC0166.jpg

I cut some aluminum (of course it's not road sign material...that would be illegal) for the fan shroud leaving the sides open for better flow
DCFC0164.jpg

To mount it I just screwed the bottom two flanges down into the support, I am trying to come up with a way to mount the top, but for now it is in there pretty well.

shouldn't the fan be mounted ON the fan shroud
because the way you have it now, the air that isnt being sucked in by the fan gets stuck in a high pressure zone and has nowhere to go

that looks very nice indeed. I am in need of a nshiny nice new radiator and this just might be a front runner.. if RRE doesn't have the Galant-specific aluminum in stock /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The shroud is open on all sides allowing the forced air(not fan air) to go into the engine compartment from all around. The only "sealed" surfaces are 1/2" screw tubes, 4 of them. So that equals about 2" of closed space and the rest is open.

mistaVR4

Looks great bro! I'm going to buy the same radiator as well. Looks like a great fit and the price can't be beat.

slugsgomoo

have you logged temps under similar conditions with the old setup, and this new one? I'm probably going this route, but i want to increase cooling at the same time if possible.

I dont know if he logged coolant temps before and after but I did.
I want to say for starters that I have a underdrive crank pulley.
So I was having some cooling problems when the car would just sit and idle for ahwile. Like getting stuck in stop in go traffic. I have seen temps get up to 230 just sitting for a half hour on the interstate.
My cruise temps would be around 200.

With the Griffin cross flow radiator like the one posted I would see cruise temps at a constant 182.
It would also never get above 200 no matter how long it sat idling.
Both comparisons were with the same single fan and same underdrive pulley.
The radiator works awesome.

I live in San Francisco so temps are not as much of an issue. When I drive even in stop and go it is stuck at 180*. I drove it to San Jose not too long ago and still will not budge. I will make some logs next trip to Thunder Hill when it's 110* outside. Another contributing factor is that I am running the stock intercooler so it does not block much of the radiator.

slugsgomoo

Quote:
Nice looking scirroco.
That is just what some call a cross flow radiator.

yeah, the fact that the coolant has to make two passes across the radiator seems to make it a lot more efficient. Maybe i'll do that job this winter. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

IncorpoRatedX

i ran the griffin version of that radiator in my galant. had to cut the fill cap off and weld it shut.

i welded two studs to the core support, drilled a hole in the flange, then put a washer with a rubber bushing on each side, sat the radiator down on it, put another washer on the top and then bolted it down securely. i never mounted the top of the radiator, it was never a concern, but maybe a small piece of flat bar stock for extra stability would be nice.

also i used one 12in single pusher fan instead of a puller, there's pleanty of room up front for it.

anyhow, i very much so like have the radiator up where the AC core was, it makes so much more under hood room.

Installed an AFCO Scirroco radiator in my Colt right before I sold it.

And NO /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif The wire ties arent holding up the radiator, they are securing the wiring harness to the underside of the core support /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

MVC-061F.jpg

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts