The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Hyd. Hood Supports (done with pictures)

curtis

Well I was bummed out today about my brother so I mowed the yard. Now with the new mower that only took less than an hour so I still had the rest of the day to fill. Sorry Hill I could do your lights any justice this week. So I took the day off, most people go for walks in there neighborhood, I go to the junkyard. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

New on the lot is an 88 Supra, Popped the hood and it opened itself. The juices started flowing, I pulled them off and went home with them. Measuring and normal procedures were out due to the stuff on my mind and started to screw things up so I took a brake from it until tomorrow. But I drilled the hole in the side of the inter support on the hood and drilled a hole on the edge of the fender piece that sticks up between the strut bearing and the fender. Bolted it up and no worky. So I used a longer bolt to put the lever point over toward the strut tower more. the strut has to lay between the strut bearing and the strut bearing mount bolt. Its tight but works. Worky good going up also. The piston is about an 1/8 inch from bottoming out and just the one almost supported the hood up. I'll finish this up in the next few days and post some pictures of the mounting points and I'll make measurement for my hommies. So far total mod price is 10.95 cents, they even say tokico on them, bonus buy for the name flashers. I started to grab the ones from the hatch also but there about 3 feet long and was afraid that it would buldge the hood in the middle.

Edited to change title.

Last edited:

G

Staff member
visworkssatria20031db3.jpg

you should try these mounting points.

1941Galant

Hey Curtis, don't worry about my lights, they are the least of your worries right now. Once you are done with this make sure you post some pictures up, I expect nothing but the best.

Hill

kcpaz

it almost looks like it has a Porsche wastegate on it.

Quote:
it almost looks like it has a Porsche wastegate on it.

Close, but I think it's an HKS one. I used to have an audi gate, but can't find it. Do you know anything about them, as far as spring rates go?

curtis

For sale 92 Galant VR4 prop rod. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

It's done the one on the drivers side seams to be a little weak. But they were only for test purposes anyway. I'll pick up a new one when I need it. When you pull the handle under the dash it pops right up. You release the hood latch and start to raise it and at about waist level you can feel it going up. It's sitting at about 2 inches lower than stock prop rod height but no big deal.

The hood mount is 3 11/16 down from the crease in the inter support. The bottom mount is parallel to the inside of the interfender well and is sitting about 1 1/4 back cennter to center. The mounts are just some thick mild steel that I bent and then welded to a straight piece. Nothing fancy. Its mounted with a 12 mm headed bolt with a nut on the inside of the wheel well. I drilled the strut tower in the dead center of the spot weld so It would be correct on both sides and would be easy for you guys to copy. The only hard part was using a magnet to slide the nut up in the inter hood support and using a hook and pick set was able to line it up and screw in the top mount. The nut I used was one of the mitsubishi ones that have the lock washer built on. If you notice that I drilled an extra hole directly on the bottom next to the hood mount thats so I can get a hook in there to hold the nut. Well thats it. Hit the junkyard and find a 88 supra and build some mounts. The only problem that occured was that the studs on the strut mont was touching the hood strut tube so I just ground them down to be flush with the top of the nut.

If your going to be a baller and spend the money at the auto parts store the piston rod is .395 and the cylinder is .868 the length of the silver rod (ram) is 5 7/8 and the total lenght from center of the bolt hole to the center of top mount is 15 3/4.
If you wanted the hood to open farther you'll just have to get one a little longer and experiment with the mounts because a small distance really changes things alot. I built the passenger side first and should have did the drivers first because the hood sags on the passenger side with the prop rod in place.

The bottom picture is the lowest point it will stay open without dropping closed. I can lower it about half that distance and drop it and it locks closed but doesn't slam down but just drops and locks.

Enjoy

Not bad!

CURTIS=to much time on his hands! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Curtis, put kits together at a decent price and I'm sure some of us would buy them. You need product for your fab business.

McMaster Carr sells parts to do this. Guys in the 510 world have been doing this too.

Romanova

That is awesome! Great job Curtis... that would be sweet for shows... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

CP

Quote:
Curtis, put kits together at a decent price and I'm sure some of us would buy them. You need product for your fab business.

I'm interested for sure!

My only comment was going to be that the strut placement in the first picture (white car) was a bit odd, almost backwards from the way I'm used to seeing them placed. I also think it looks much better than getboosted's solution (no offense). Functionally I'd think that the longer struts pictured would get in the way while trying to work onthe engine, versus the ones Curtis has used which are nice and compact. Nice job curtis /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

curtis

I kind of like get boosted because it raises the hood so far up.

Did you have a problem with it wanting to bulge the hood when closed or hiting the strut tower?

If I build a kit it will be after the mill is running. I could cut the brackets out of aluminum and would look alot better and could have a quick disconnect so they could be popped loose and the hood raised straight up easily.

powerplay

Curtis, I like your idea, but being a little tall, the hood is way to low for me. Boosted's would be much better from that stand point, but I would like to get rid of the prop too. Nice job.

I like getboosted set up because of how high it goes up to. Also if they get in your way, its really easy to detach it. But I don't think I would spend so much time in that far back in the area anyways. Would be nice if it would go up that high with shorter rods.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts