The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Bob is the oil guy

curtis

Also wanted to add some tricks I do to the thread.

The magnets inside of a aftermarket slim line fan work perfect and are the same radius as our stock sized oil filters. I broke one of the 4 deboning them from the steel ring but have ran 3 of them on every filter I've put on the car for the last 4 years. They have never fallen off and I just remove them before I screw off the old filter and re stick them on the new after I screw it on. No glue/rtv etc is needed magnetic forces keep them on.

Also when I change the oil in the engine I like to drain the oil out of the tranny into the huge jug the Mobil one comes in. I wash the oil residue out first with break parts cleaner. I use a funnel with a large speaker magnet in the bottom. The I have another jug that has a small micron filter on a funnel that I drain into. Its one of those metal bronze looking carb filters. It takes a few hours to filter it but then I just pour it back in. Metal particles kill.

KT

Why don't you just replace the tranny fluid?

curtis

I don't replace the tranny fuild every 3 thousand miles.....That would be overly anal.

Oh yea "That" would be overly anal /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

You can use oil filters from a restaurant supply store to filter tranny oil as well and it won't take more than 5 mins.

turboflanagan

Quote:
Oh yea "That" would be overly anal /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

HAHAHAHA! Yeah. I guess overly anal is a matter of opinion. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

RayH

I've been testing an Oilguard bypass filtration system on my Expo. I'm about 3k miles past the last oil change done after a full AutoRx flush cycle and the oil is still clear.

Another great oil info source:

Motor Oil Articles by Dr. Ali E. Haas

slugsgomoo

if you were going to do the pump & cooler for a transmission it would be pretty easy to add a filter in, you'd just need to find an appropriate filter setup for gear oil, since it's a lot thicker. /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/dunno.gif

curtis

Quote:
When you do said filtering, can you really see that much crap come out?

Yes It takes a few hours to do but get a large bronze filter for a carb and filter your tranny fuild its amazing what you'll find.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned