The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Koni adjustables?

mooserage

Staff member
I just aquired my first VR4 and it has KYB AGX in the back and I think it has Koni's in the front, (maybe AGX) but i cant see them. My question is how do I adjust the front dampers. I know you usually do it on the top, so thats where i started and all i have is a yellow tab. Do I turn this? Clockwise or counterclockwise? Do i gotta be gentle? Thanks for helpin a noob.

ken inn

Quote:
I just aquired my first VR4 and it has KYB AGX in the back and I think it has Koni's in the front, (maybe AGX) but i cant see them. My question is how do I adjust the front dampers. I know you usually do it on the top, so thats where i started and all i have is a yellow tab. Do I turn this? Clockwise or counterclockwise? Do i gotta be gentle? Thanks for helpin a noob.

iirc, there are 2 types of koni, only 1 is adjustable. on the top, there should be a slot, like the tip of a screwdriver. you turn it clockwise to stiffen it up. total is 3 complete turns, the adjustment is infinite. a half turn will make a considerable change. you can get a white knob that fits on top, then put it in the glovebox so it dont get lost. only rebound is adjustable. there are no koni gas made for the vr4, so it is probably from t/e/l, which work fine with t/e/l springs. galant springs are a bit too harsh, because they are longer, and take a lot more preload. the tel strut is shorter than the galant.

Last edited:

AGX fronts have a 4-position adjuster on the top. You stick in a tiny flat screwdriver in the center, push down and rotate to 1,2,3, or 4. If lined up properly, the inner top gets flush with the outer ring. It might be behind a dustcap on the strut's top mount.

JNR

I have some Koni adjustables on #20...There is a special 'tool' that came with them, to turn the adjustment screw, located on the top. I've never adjusted them since I've had them, so I can't think of what it looks like...IIRC though, it was a rod that stuck up with two flats on it, for a wrench (or this special tool).

[edit] yeah, like this:

technical.koniadjustment.gif

Last edited:

On Koni's you need to turn the adjuster counter-clockwise to stiffen them. They usually have between 2-3 turns from soft to stiff, & as mentioned above they only adjust the rebound, compression is set. IMHO, they are way better than the AGX's. I am hoping to get a custom set of the new "race" Koni's for #1303 (shortened bodies & a lot stiffer valving) to replace my AGX's.

If you don't have one of the Koni adjuster knobs, just use a small 1/4" drive socket (I forget what size it is) that just squeezes over it & use a ratchet to adjust it.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned