The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Removing tint?

VR4ownzU

Whats the quickest and easiest way to remove tint? The local ricer shop wants to charge me 100 just to take it off.

CP

Razor blade w/ soap and water in a spray bottle. Get a corner started and try to tear it off in one piece. Then try to wash the glue off. FINE steel wool can be used to finish the job (detailer's secret).

uless you have several hours to do it that sounds fair. razor blade & brake clean works, but prepare yourself for one foul odor as you peal it the stickum on that suff is nasty.

Polish

They also make a tint remover spray. Spray it on, Put a trash bag on the window and leave it in the sun. This helped me bigtime as most of the glue came off with the tint. Making the job much easier and less messy.

Ammonia and a trash bag over it. Let it sit in the sun for an hour and it peels right off.

Muskrat

Is it on your rear window? If so, that's why they are charging $100 for it. It's very hard to remove from the rear window without damaging the wire for the defroster, or so I hear. It was $25 for me to have my 2 front window's tint removed, but would have been about 125$ for the whole car.

G

Staff member
heat ! buy a heat gun.

strokin4dr

Johnson's baby shampoo and water is what we use to soak it, then scrape the crap off with a razor. If there is any left, you can finish it up with fine steel wool as someone already said. For the back glass, the steel wool works great and will not damage anything. Hope this helps!!!
-Ryan

curtis

The purple power cleaner that you can get at Auto Zone eats the glue right off.

spooling92vr4

Quote:
Ammonia and a trash bag over it. Let it sit in the sun for an hour and it peels right off.

+1 this is how i removed the tint on my eclipse's rear hatch.. i let it sit in the sun for about 2 hours and when i came back it pulled right off. then i cleaned it with windex the glue came off with the tint.. u probably wont be so luck ythough

turboren

Do you have to tape the trash bag over the window? I need to remove the crappy tint on my Aspire (don't laugh, it gets twice the gas mileage your car does... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ). It's come partially off, but there's still plenty of purplish residue, and I do have a rear defroster.

Also, can you just use Windex (you know, like that chick's father would, from "Grek Wedding"), since it contains ammonia, or deos it have to be straight ammonia?

Ren

kcpaz

Is it just me, or does $100 sound like a GREAT deal. I wouldn't think twice about paying that much, especially if it's older tint (purple faded, or baked on) or if it was a higher quality tint (the adhesive will be harder to get off). Also, like someone said before, the rear window is a PITA!!!

Maybe it's because it's sooooo hot here in AZ, but I would gladly pay someone $100 if it mean I didn't have to be out in my garage sweating my ass off, just to peel off window tint.

turboren

OK, well, for the sake of argument, let's say I'd rather NOT pay someone to do it... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

mmm....then I would recommend you peruse the list above & choose your favorite /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

turboren

I was trying to get more info about the options above. Thanks for your help. I guess I should take my car to the dealer to get it worked on, too...

Can someone please clarify the Windex and plastic bag on the windows questions I had?

Thanks

Ren

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts