The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Pics Request - Griffin Aluminum Rad installed on GVR4

sleepyvr4

I believe it is the VW Scirocco rad - griffin all aluminum for $200. I want to get some ideas for brackets and check out how people have the hoses run. Thanks - oh, I did find this (but more would be nice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ):

img.php

img.php

img.php

img.php

This only works if you have no ac condensor.
It sits right on top of the cross rail. I used self tapping screws to hold it down and then one tab up top.
You can see it in the second pic.

Last edited by a moderator:

is this the radiator from summit racing that was in a recent thread? what are the dimensions and how does the cooling compare to a gvr4 koyo, fluidyne, etc.?

Romanova

Must be off an MK1 VW Scirocco because it sure isn't from an MK2... not a 16v at least...

Looks good though.

Scirocco refers to the style of the radiator.
The Griffin will be found in the cross flow section of radiators though.
There is another brand similiar to the griffin in the scirocco section.
My car sits right at 181degrees on the highway with the griffing.

Its easier to run a t/e/l thermostat housing and using universal radiator hoses from NAPA or the like unless you want to have some 1-1/4" pipes welded for hard pipes. I will be ordering the radiator shortly, its also a dual pass radiator and its very thick and because of that I cant see it having any cooling problems.

spooling92vr4

i got an afco unit.. if you look on my thread (update 829/1000 56k nope) i made a little bracket to mount it on the top i still havent decided if i want to drill my frame for the bottom mounts yet though

Which is cheaper the AFCO or the Griffen? I think the Griffen is 224 or something from summit.

Austin

curtis

I'll try to find the pictures on my computer but I've already posted them here. Do a search for radiator with my name. I'm running a real deal scirocco radiator and a passat double fan set up. The light weight one jegs or summit sells for $120 is the one I have. It's got plastic tanks but who cares I'll replace it in 10 years. I mounted it on the bottom with rubber vibration isolators and have two brackets up top that attach to the radiator support. Why its out cut the metal brackets and stuff of to each side because you'll be running a short route pipe set-up before you know it. Plus with this one I could have 3 inch inlet and outlet pipes. Cools great with a standard mix but water and water wetter would be better.

Quote:
Won't the heat from the manifold melt the fans (they are made of plastic)?

Not usually. The plastic the fans are made out of are of much better quality and more dense then say wire loom or something like that. I have seen wire loom melt but not a fan, yet atleast. Plus the whole reason in running the radiator is to get more room so the likely hood of this setup melting fans is severly reduced.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned