The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

What Clutch setup?

What clutch setup do you guys recommend? I'm looking for something that will grab good, but it is mainly just a street car. If I take it to the track, it won't be any more than 2 times a year. Is the ACT 2600 the best clutch to go with? What is a cheap place for a clutch?

Thanks, Andrew.

Well it depends on if this car is a daily driver. I ran the 2600 for years until recently I switched to the 2900. The 2600 is pretty close to the 2900 in stiffness. They both are pretty stiff clutches. I myself wouldnt have anything else. However alot of the 3 bolt rearend guys are big fans on the 2100 which feels pretty close to stock.

Wendy

Terry Posten

I am using the Southbend Clutch Feramic (OFE) clutch. www.southbendclutch.com

It is a dual surface unit. Organic on one side and sintered iron on the other. They use Exedy parts for great clutch feel and longlife. It will hold atleast 450hp and is very forgivible. I have got mine hot a few times and it has come back great. I now have about 5000 miles on mine and it is still great.

The peddle feel is better than stock. Super easy to press and hold (less pressure pressure than stock).

The cost is around $330.00 for the whole kit. The only thing you need to buy is a flywheel.

Mark

I run a act2600 w/ a fidanza lightweight flywheel. Havent really had any problems with the clutch slipping or anything. It feels good, sucks in stop and go traffic however. I run about 450hp daily with it so. It gets some abuse.

Last edited by a moderator:

^ They are good in V-8 applications only. I just bought a clutchnet 4-puck for the Daytona. I have only driven it on jackstands so far /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif, but it seems really nice.

iLLeffeKt vr-4

Quote:
i'm debating about purchasing a center force. Anyone else running one or have anything to say about them?

i have on my car. so far (10K+ miles) no complains.

4orced4door

My brother had a couple Centerforce clutches, and was not happy. I've used the ACT 2600 with no problems for 25-30k miles and plenty of launches. For #96/1000 I'm trying out a clutchnet setup though. I've heard great things.

^^Let me know on that. I'll get you a good deal on your setup. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

4orced4door

Quote:
^^Let me know on that. I'll get you a good deal on your setup. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Cool, I'll let you know when it's clutch time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

464/2K

Quote:
My brother had a couple Centerforce clutches, and was not happy. I've used the ACT 2600 with no problems for 25-30k miles and plenty of launches. For #96/1000 I'm trying out a clutchnet setup though. I've heard great things.

the flat black galant will be using a Clutchnet as well. which of the clutches are you going to run?

Last edited:

Hertz

Staff member
Anybody with South Bend clutches? I remember hearing about them on here a while back.

gtluke

i had 2 ACT's go bad within a year so i bought a centerforce. i like it much better.

If you use a ClutchNet, you'll need a custom made pressure plate (laser cut 3X red) and a kevlar/kevlar disc. This is my favorite combo, but to each his own.

and how much would that setup run mr Revltion Mtrsport? what sort of power have you been running through it? you own Dale Nardozi's old car right?

spartan

What about the spec clutches? Is anyone on here using one? I know that there are a lot of DSM guys that are running them now, they have a bunch of different levels and are reasonably priced as well?

No, I don't have Dale's old car. I have not dyno'd my car but I'm pretty sure it's making over 400hp. It's powered by a TEC T4 turbo... The 3x red pressure plate and kevlar/kevlar disc combo runs $480. $410 if you choose to go with a street disc. The kevlar will engage/hold power better and last longer.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts