The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

CF Hoods n' such

my hood latch came apart this weekend inevitably leading to my hood wrapping itself around my windshield so now i need a new one. I'm just going to go get a cf replacement but i wasn't sure if anyone has had any poor experience with any companies that i should steer away from.

Last edited by a moderator:

i know Carbontrix in Cali is supposed to produce superior products, and i've heard of this RaceOn USA or whatever but i'm nervous because i know nothing about them. Just looking for some input, gotta order one up sometime today or tomorrow.
Thanks,
Mark

Well I just installed my CF hood from CarbonEFX ($260+$165 shipping) and I have to say I am _not_ happy. The hood contour is excessively bowed upward along the edges such that there is a good 1/2 inch gap along the sides. That might be fine for a drag-only car, but it really is not good enough for a street car IMO.

But shipping it back is going to be a huge nuisance as the box it came in won't even fit in my wife's Dodge Grand Caravan, so I am going to try to "fix" it. It doesn't take much pressure on the edge of the hood for it to sit flush the way it should. So my first attempt to fix it will be to let it sit for a week with some weights on the hood and maybe it will relax into a better shape. But I don't hold out much hope for this as CF-polyester is highly resistant to creep. temperature probably won't help because the resin is a thermoset meaning it does not change shape with heating. But you have to try the easy things first. The other thing I might try is to JBWeld a length (maybe 18 inches) of small dimension extruded aluminum channel or L section on the underside of the hood along the edge to "straighten" it a bit. It won't add much weight and if it is small it won't be visible or interfere with closing. In order for this to work the epoxy has to bond properly to both the hood resin and the aluminum.

Not to hijack the thread, but anyone else have any luck with straightening out an excessively bowed CF hood?

Mike R.

atc250r

Staff member
I've got the same hood as Mike with the same problem. Fortunately, I knew about this in advance so I wasn't suprised when it had that problem. Mine seems to get better on warm days, as if the heat of the sun makes the weave get tighter and pull the hood flat. I am going to try the same things as Mike starting with some weight. If that doesn't work I'm going to try a piece of angle aluminum but I'll try some of the urethane that the glass guys use to hold the windshield in place. That stuff is really strong and should bond the two together. They offered to make another mold if someone near them would supply a solid stock hood but no one stepped up for it. They even said they'd make a stock style hood if someone would drop one off to mold from. If I was near them I'd grab a junkyard hood and drop it off /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif. EDIT: I also got to have a look at Mark's (gvr4737) RaceOn USA hood and while it was not bowed up it was bowed a little bit down and the left front corner was curved down too sharply so it didn't line up with the fender properly. Overall it fit better and I'd imagine you could but a rubber stoper of some sort on the fender to push it up straight.

John

Last edited:

does that mean john that you'd suggest just ponying up the extra hundred or two to buy one from Carbontrix(roadrace) or another company that has guaranteed & proven fitment.

I mean i dont want to f' with fitment or any BS like that, if i'm gonna spend $600 on a hood i want that bitch to fit right on there and look pristine

Everyone gets these vented hoods. I want to see someone with the oem cf hood from raceon. Maybe I'll be the guinea pig.

atc250r

Staff member
Mark's RaceOn USA hood is a non-vented flat stock style hood. It should cost a lot less than $600 for one and if you can get someone else to go in with you so they can ship two together then it'll be even cheaper.

John

spooling92vr4

raceon is a tc sportline hood.. i got the hood from them and discovered the badge under a piece of tape under the hood. i got my hood for a good deal.. i dont expect it to fit perfectly, but im gonna try to get it best i can

carbontrix doesn't list a carbon hood for our cars, am I missing something on their site?

"carbontrix doesn't list a carbon hood for our cars, am I missing something on their site? "

yes, you are

There is apparently a worldwide shortage on carbon fiber right now. I went through this when i had to order a few sheets of carbon fiber to make a pretty battery box and some gauge/switchpanel plates. I talked to carbontrix this morning though and they're suffering from the same shortage and/or price increase just like everyone else. Unfortunately though them the hood is 589 + 190 shipping,

so any companies people know of where the hood actually fit that're less then 800

What about the "CF Celebrity"(Fazzt73)? Still makeing CF Hoods n'...such pun intended

Tee

Quote:
"carbontrix doesn't list a carbon hood for our cars, am I missing something on their site? "

yes, you are

There is apparently a worldwide shortage on carbon fiber right now. I went through this when i had to order a few sheets of carbon fiber to make a pretty battery box and some gauge/switchpanel plates. I talked to carbontrix this morning though and they're suffering from the same shortage and/or price increase just like everyone else. Unfortunately though them the hood is 589 + 190 shipping,

so any companies people know of where the hood actually fit that're less then 800

Well I'm confused now, so what did I miss on their site? Did they state that there is a shortage of cf? I see no usdm e39a galant parts listed on carbontrix.com

most likely because its not listed under USDM e39a, you just click on Mitsu Carbon and its at the bottom of the hoods list right at the top of the page, listed under plain old Galant VR-4.....immediately followed by $589

gvr4737

although my fitment isnt perfect of my hood... i think its pretty good compared to what i saw of johns ( atc250r) hood... soo far the hood had no problems... it was supposed to line up without hoodpins but it wouldnt sit flush at all.. as soon as i slapped a set of decent aircraft aluminuim hoodpins( to avoid rust) it pulled it down nice and flush... the edges john pointed out i will try some shims in there to make it even more perfect... otherwise im pretty impressed with it.. defintly worth the money... and it matches perfect with my oem style C/f wing... ( i think fazzt made) if u didnt notice that john.. it was on there... soon i will grab a trunk and be full fledge c/f

atc250r

Staff member
And you called ME a ricer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif.

John

gvr4737

lol...

na... c/f is acceptable on cars that are 91's and probably stock parts are not in the greatest condition... but putting a c/f hood on a 2004 acura is being a ricer... your hood is fine.. leave it alone... if i didnt have terrible chips in mine after my new paint job i woulda kept stock

Quote:
most likely because its not listed under USDM e39a, you just click on Mitsu Carbon and its at the bottom of the hoods list right at the top of the page, listed under plain old Galant VR-4.....immediately followed by $589

wow, I am blind.

[illiterate]

I don't read the words I just look at the pictures.

[/illiterate]

thanks

JNR

Slap some paint on it and nobody would know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Unless I had a Black car, I would paint mine white...I think the main reason I'd do it is for some weight savings, but doubt I will as they're expensive and I don't want hoodpins on my Galant; I don't like them on the Chevelle, but it's the only thing that holds it on (besides the hinges)...that this is feather-light though ('glass), but it suffers from quality issues...I bought it before the 'net though (~1995) and had I known the company's BS and their products, I would've paid more for a quality piece...However, it's not everyday you see an AMX scoop on a Chevelle hood /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Quote:
lol...

na... c/f is acceptable on cars that are 91's and probably stock parts are not in the greatest condition... but putting a c/f hood on a 2004 acura is being a ricer... your hood is fine.. leave it alone... if i didnt have terrible chips in mine after my new paint job i woulda kept stock

I always thought Carbon parts were for weight reduction /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Tee

atc250r

Staff member
Sometimes they're for "OMFG the hood has rot holes in it and pieces are falling off the front lip when I close it and I don't want to paint another to match".

John

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts