The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Took some ECU comparison pics and have questions

CP

I borrowed a 1G ECU a few weeks ago, thinking that my idle issue was ECU related. Turns out it's not. But I noticed a few things while they were side by side. Mine's on the left.

Notice the silver metal bar on the left side of both, that runs north/south. It looks like the portion that goes to the plug was chopped on mine. Underneath that space, it appears that something may have been soldered there (two little nubs).

Flip it over to look at the back of the board, and there are four jumpers that were placed there for some reason. The 1st and 2nd pic is mine with the jumpers, the third pic is the 1G board.

Anyone have an idea of why someone would have added those four jumpers to my board? Were they there from the factory (GVR4 specific)?

Last edited:

stevep

Quote:

Notice the silver metal bar on the left side of both, that runs north/south. It looks like the portion that goes to the plug was chopped on mine. Underneath that space, it appears that something may have been soldered there (two little nubs).

Somebody had soldered wires to the two pins for datalogging. One is the data line and the other the mode select. The only thing close that I've seen is the switch Jeff has installed in some ECUs for selecting between BISS mode, timing mode, and datalogging.

Quote:
Flip it over to look at the back of the board, and there are four jumpers that were placed there for some reason. The 1st and 2nd pic is mine with the jumpers, the third pic is the 1G board.
Anyone have an idea of why someone would have added those four jumpers to my board?

Those jumpers match the traces on the top side that connect the green snubber capacitor pins for the two different size parts (NT vs Turbo) Perhaps the top side traces were damaged under those caps.

You can also see that one of the driver ICs has been replaced.

Steve

4orced4door

That ECU is from Jeff so maybe he knows the story. I'm sure it's fine, it was a refreshed one he sent me when I first bought the car in July '03 or so. The one that was originally in the car was bad when the original owner traded it in, so Jeff had sent Brian a loaner, which was in the car when I got it. I sent Jeff the loaner back and got the one you have now.

CP

Thanks for clearing that up Paul. Did you have some sort of datalogger setup as mentioned in the first response?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts