The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Oil tests by Aussie Mag.

There's a recent test of synth and synth-blend oils by an Australian magazine. Looks like Royal Purple's R51 & 10w40 and Valvoline Durablend are at the top. Castrol R & Mobil One aren't. Sorry but you have to be a member of Rennlist to see the full test. Here are some well-known US oils that were tesed:

Last edited by a moderator:

JB

Ive been running that valvoline in my Z24 for a long time and love it. about 6 months ago i switched the galant to it.

guess it was good idea.

Hertz

Staff member
You need to sign up to view attached images. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

So where is the best place to buy royal purple /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Quote:
So where is the best place to buy royal purple

You find it at NAPA stores. I always wondered about that stuff. I guess it's better than you would expect.
Mike R.

gvr4ever

Could the pics be any smaller?

I don't understand exacly what kind of test they did. Sounds fishy to me.

14bCrazy

Quote:
You find it at NAPA stores. I always wondered about that stuff. I guess it's better than you would expect.
Mike R.

Why would you not expect it to be good? The stuff costs alot more than Mobil 1. We used it in the Crx drag car and I believe it was 8 bucks a bottle. I don't see me using it on my daily driven car but I was thinking about putting it in the Galant when I get it back up.

slugsgomoo

i would trust the UOA from bobistheoilguy.com way more than the stuff posted on rennlist, but that's just me.

Buy Royal Purple direct: Royal's site
The magazine used the "Falex Lubricity tester" which is very similar to the Timken Bearings standards. See methods below-

Quote:
i would trust the UOA from bobistheoilguy.com way more than the stuff posted on rennlist, but that's just me.

Well, I guess that's ok but Bob's fameous test of Lucas Oil Stabilizer says to me that he knows tons about oil but not much about testing. See, instead of analyzing what's going on inside the transmission, he just soups up that little point-of-sale hand cranked gear thing that Lucas has put on every auto parts store counter in America. Not the same thing. All it proves is that the stuff foams up in that environment. What happens in the real world? Is foam that bad in a gear lube situation? Well, all I know is the stuff makes my vr4 shift better. A lot better.

Same thing with this Aussie test. It may measure certain characteristics of the oil but does it really say anything about how the oil behaves in the engine? Maybe... or maybe not. I'll stick with Mobil 1... don't confuse me with facts, my mind is already made up.

Quote:
Mike R.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Why would you not expect it to be good?

Because it is such a stupid-ass brand name.
Mike R.

has anyone had any experience with ULX110? All the subie boys I know have recommended it. I'm just about to do the first oil change in my galant since I just got it recently and it needs it, hard...

I just bought Royal Purple gear oil yesterday. I was planning on switching engine oil as well but didn't have anything to support my decision. Until solid proof can be had, I'm sticking to mobile 1.

The magazine is called, "Street Commodores" in Australia. Assuming there's a website under the same name. Try to google it, issue 108. the one with the gold Commodore on the cover.

slugsgomoo

Quote:
Quote:

Well, I guess that's ok but Bob's fameous test of Lucas Oil Stabilizer says to me that he knows tons about oil but not much about testing. See, instead of analyzing what's going on inside the transmission, he just soups up that little point-of-sale hand cranked gear thing that Lucas has put on every auto parts store counter in America. Not the same thing. All it proves is that the stuff foams up in that environment. What happens in the real world? Is foam that bad in a gear lube situation? Well, all I know is the stuff makes my vr4 shift better. A lot better.

Same thing with this Aussie test. It may measure certain characteristics of the oil but does it really say anything about how the oil behaves in the engine? Maybe... or maybe not. I'll stick with Mobil 1... don't confuse me with facts, my mind is already made up.

Well, I wasn't referring to their testing in non-real world scenarios- plus I hate bullshit bandaid fixes like oil addatives, stop leaks, etc. It's all just more stuff I have to unfuck when I get the car from the former owner.

What i'm talking about is actual labs analyzing the oil that came out of real world motors. The magazine test looks pretty bogus to me. They test a whole group of oils, and only one has "great" results, one is marginal, and all of the other top oils are complete sh*t? Please.

Sorry. I can see why you reacted with "The magazine test looks pretty bogus to me. They test a whole group of oils, and only one has "great" results, one is marginal, and all of the other top oils are complete sh*t?" I did not post all the other oils they tested, like Penrite (it did well, Shell, Gulf, Fuchs. This test is extreme and when the oil film breaks down, the damage is going to be bad. It only tests just one aspect of oil, not all that's involved in hi perf. driving.

I do challenge anyone to find & post a better test, comparing oils we can buy here in USA.

I would postulate (my big word for the day), that this test is really only testing the oils film strength.
While this is an important factor, it is not the only thing that differs between a good oil, and a not so good one.
And I'd say it has as much to do with the viscosity of the oil, as it does the with quality.
As you can see above, none of the 0w-XX oils did any good, and the best was a 20w-xx.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned