The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

JDM fog wiring and other questions for those who own

CP

I'm on the fence about whether to pick up the projector fogs, to replace my orange blinker fogs. What are projector people using for a switch, location, wiring? What type of bulbs will I need? Without the orange blinkers in my existing JDM fog housings, will my 2-bulb corners be enough for people to see? I need visible front blinkers.

The trim pieces are missing on the sides; will that be a problem, or can those be made with some scrap plastic and paint to match?

Any info from owners of these lights is appreciated. Thanks.

misterfixit

No you'll need the single bulb JDM corner as a blinker (as intended in japan) then the outer fogs come on when low beam is on, then high beam gives inner fogs.

I'll snap some pics and post

Rich

CP

Rich, feel free to PM me details please.

misterfixit

sidelights

misterfixit

sidelights

dip beam

dip n fogs

main beam

main n fogs

Only one fog button

Rich

CP

I want independant control of everything, so if I want all 4 sets on (low beams, high beams, fogs, projectors), I have that option.

Maybe I'll just get a dual switch, some relays, and go that route, so that they're not hooked into the stock system (headlights) at all.

Or just keep the JDM light setup that I've already got on the car.

CP

So...there's a factory button cluster with TWO fog buttons, and the dimmer dial?

misterfixit

Yeah the other does the rear fogs. The twin button was never a jdm fitment just europe and others where its a legal requirement to have rear fogs. I think oz, hongkong and nz had too.

Top for front, lower for rear

This is from my eterna sava I converted to have the correct uk wiring.

Rich

gvr4737

i justy wired my whole set up this past weekend... had some issues..

but what i did was use the H3 bulb that was in the fog and wire that to its own positive and negitive with a new switch inside the car.. i tried it thru my excisting harness and the relay went nuts clicking so i decided to make my own harness...

than i socketed a 194 bulb into the other part of the projector foglight assembly, with some cutting and soldering... that worked out perfect and now i have blinkers in the front.. since i have single bulb jdm sidemarkers and i just use them as my markers, not as blinkers

gvr4737

after wiring the 194's as my blinkers my blinkers seem to be working to fast???? do u think its because of the change of bulb or is my flasher going inside the car???

if soo about the bulb.. does anyone know a good bulb that could be used for the blinker so it would act normal...

it isnt acting like its going super fast ( like when u have a bulb out).. but it just seems to be going faster than normal.. even though im not sure about the speed of galant blinkers.. since its been months since mines been on the road

CP

Any chance we can get a few of the dual switches pictured above? I was going to use a spare PIAA switch that I've got laying around from an old set of 1000x flame throwers.

CP

Well, I still haven't tackled the wiring yet, but how do the projector fogs fit into the holes in the bumper? I've got a verticle metal bumper brace in my cutouts that prevents the projector fogs from going all the way into the bumper. You can see how much deeper the projector fogs are than the orange blinker fogs.

tsiboy

you are going to have to cut that verticle bar. the jdm bumpers that came stock with projector fogs came with a different brace that wraps around and bolts to the the lights

CP

That's what I was afraid of..thanks.

Yea, that is a feature built into the circuit. If the resistance changes in the circuit (a bulb burns out), the blinkers blink faster. Does the same when you use a different wattage for the blinkers. There is a fix for this. You can add a variable resistor in the flasher relay and set the speed you want. I offered to do this a few years ago but no one wanted it.

Quote:
after wiring the 194's as my blinkers my blinkers seem to be working to fast???? do u think its because of the change of bulb or is my flasher going inside the car???

if soo about the bulb.. does anyone know a good bulb that could be used for the blinker so it would act normal...

it isnt acting like its going super fast ( like when u have a bulb out).. but it just seems to be going faster than normal.. even though im not sure about the speed of galant blinkers.. since its been months since mines been on the road

misterfixit

cp, just hack out the vertical brace out, cut it flush at the top and the bottom! all the bolts in the corners are the same, only braced up to '89

Rich

CP

I did that, but now I need some longer bolts for the lights, as the ones I am using with the orange blinker fogs are too short when used with the projector fogs.

I've got some single bulb corners on the way, so I'll need to figure out how to wire those in place of my current 2 bulb units (w/ wires snaked from the corners to the orange blinkers in the fogs). Anyone? I'm going to wire the fogs separately (keeping the projectors switched with the factory switch) to a relay and the "power" switch from an auto tranny car for on/off. I'm thinking yellow bulbs in those fogs should do nicely.

Cy, I've got an extra set of projector screws. Let me know where you want me to ship them. I can send them out tomorrow. My inner fogs are hooked up to the parking light & outter to the oem fog switch. When I turn on my high beams the lows stays on however if I have the outter fogs on they turn off automatically. The projector fogs use h3 bulbs.

CP

Thanks for the screws Garfield.

Anyone know which wires to tap in the auto tranny "power" switch to turn a relay (for fog lights) on/off? There are 5 wires going into the unit:

Wire #
1 - green/white stripe
2 - red/white stripe
3 - green/red stripe
4 - black
5 - black/white stripe

I don't really care if the switch is lit or not (with dimmer control?), but it would be nice.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned