The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

coilover or EVO 8 springs in the rear?

Opinions on whether to go to EVO 8 springs or coilovers on the rear GAB struts? Since I'm changing out the front struts to Tein HAs, it is a good time to bump up the overly soft TEL 140 in/lb spring rate in the rear.

EVO 8 springs:
+ direct fit
+ reasonably cheap, ~$50-100?
- slightly -higher- ride height than I'd like
- no adjustability of ride height or spring rate

Cheap eBay coilovers:
? do they use a standard spring size that can be replaced?
+ ride height / spring rate adjustability [can set corner weights]
- slightly more cost [

Last edited by a moderator:

I thought Ground controls were 399?

Evo8 Springs are too low for you? The rears are barely different then stock, the reason the black galant looked so low was because of the 18s (forgot the name of the member)

GCs are $400 for a full set - I only need the rears.

Oops, thanks for catching my mistake - based on the stated spring rate and free length of the EVO 8 vs. my current springs, the EVO8s will *raise* the rear a little bit. EVO 8 rear springs should be ~0.86" drop in the rear vs. stock. The original post has been corrected.

This is a no-brainer: coilovers. You can set the height to what you need. The springs are cheap so if you want to change the rate, not a big deal.
Mike R.

atc250r

Staff member
I speak from first hand experience. The Evo8 rear springs on TEL AGX's keep the ride height about 3/4" higher than with TEL springs and DOUBLE the stock rate. They were one of the best improvements I've made in the handling department. They took so much understeer out of my car I can not describe it. If you are running AGX's leave them on 1 or 2 in the rear or you will get the bounce like a lowered Civic.

John

I agree with Mike: Coil overs. You're in the snow belt like me and probably would appreciate changing to a higher ride height in the winters. Summit sells AFCO c/o springs for $120 pair. I run Eibach 250 lb/inch 10" free length in rear on AGX springs and love them. Here's my home-made rear c/o:

Thanks to all for your responses. Based on your feedback and John's comments I'm leaning away from the EVO 8 stuff. The EVO 8 stuff is tempting because it is just soooo cheap.

John,

Quote:
...The Evo8 rear springs on TEL AGX's keep the ride height about 3/4" higher than with TEL springs and DOUBLE the stock rate.

While I usually don't dispute experience, I don't see how this is possible. On paper the ride height difference between the two springs should be ~1/8", nothing close to 3/4". If it really is 3/4" higher, then I definitely don't want EVO 8 springs since I'll be back at stock height.

Quote:
They were one of the best improvements I've made in the handling department. They took so much understeer out of my car I can not describe it. If you are running AGX's leave them on 1 or 2 in the rear or you will get the bounce like a lowered Civic.

Get rid of the AGXs and your handling will improve even more - I speak from experience on that one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif The AGXs are hands-down the worst shocks I've ever had on my GVR4 and I've used everything bolt-on short of Bilstein.

atc250r

Staff member
You should've told me that before you sold the AGX's to me Kyle /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif. I'm pretty happy with them though and on full soft they feel pretty good to me. I know there are better ones out there but for the money I'll stick with AGX's.

John

Damn it's a small world. You got those from me? Where's the stick-foot-in-mouth icon when you need it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Anyway, where the #$@! do you find coilover sleeves for 45mm [~1 3/4"] OD GAB rear struts? I can find 40-42 and 50-52mm ID sleeves but nothing in between. I've looked for an hour and come up with zilch. I really don't want to spend more money at GC if I can DIY for $140. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif Maybe I'll just have to make an adapter.

In all fairness, I used KYBs for several years and they weren't awful, in fact they worked pretty well on the autocross VR4 considering the price. But they are hopeless if used with very stiff springs.
Mike R.

Use a short length of exhaust pipe with a slot cut down the side as a spacer inside 40-42 and 50-52mm ID coilover sleeves to fit on the 45mm [~1 3/4"] OD GAB/AGX rear struts. Silicone it to hold in place. It doesn't have to be a perfect fit as long as sleeve is not crooked.

I also used a threaded electrical conduit coupler as a lower spacer at the bottom of sleeve to position threads in right place. It's painted black in above photo.

DIY guys can do each rear for about $100 plus cost of a shock. $60 for AFCO spring (Summit) and c/o kit sold here:
http://www.stockcarproducts.com/coilovr1.htm
http://www.stockcarproducts.com/coilovr2.htm

While I usually don't dispute experience, I don't see how this is possible. On paper the ride height difference between the two springs should be ~1/8", nothing close to 3/4". If it really is 3/4" higher, then I definitely don't want EVO 8 springs since I'll be back at stock height.

Well, Im a bit confused too.
Does that statement mean that with the EVO spring the rear will sit higher than stock? Or is it saying that both will drop the rear,just that the EVO spring won't drop it as much as the TEL spring?

atc250r

Staff member
Both will drop it but the Evo's will drop it about 3/4" LESS than the TEL springs.

John

Bob, thanks for the links. What frustrated me last night was the fact that I could find listings for kits but no dimensions except for Bilstein and Koni. GC is looking better since for the same price as DIY I can buy it all there.

Crucible - just to add to John's comments: on paper [FWIW], assuming an average rear corner weight of 709 lb [from Harry #3's car and other reported numbers] and all rear springs mounted on the same shock:

stock GVR4: 112#/in rate, 15.3" free length = 15.3- 709/112 = 9.0" compressed length at stock ride height.
TEL AWD: 140#, 13.1" = 8.0", 1.0" drop
EVO 8: 225#, 11.3" = 8.15", 0.85" drop

[correction: TEL AWD spring free length is 13.1, not 13.7, corrected calcs above]

In reality, things seem to be much different which is why I am confused. The shocks do make a difference, a big factor that I can't account for since I haven't measured perch heights. I know when I went from AGX to GAB [the only change] the alignment was very different with the GABs riding at a higher ride height.

Since I already have the EVO 8 parts on the way, it won't cost me anything more except a little labor to swap the springs in the rear and measure the actual ride height.

tektic

Set this strait an evo 8 Mr spring on a DSM gr2 rear strut with evo 8 upper strut perch looks like this.

And rides well. Getting the fron to ride well at this height is difficult though.. I'm still working on it.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned