The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

damn you oil return line... i hate you...

4G63_GSR

just venting. last night i started putting everything back after swapping out turbos. i was under the car soaked in rainwater, coolant, and oil trying to put on those two measley 10mm bolts onto my oilpan. spent long enough to miss survivor and the apprentice (first since the beginning of each season). i think i'm gonna take the top two bolts off and connect the bottom two first. i had better luck that way in the past.

ken inn

i always connect the top bolts last. i get a long 6mm bolt, and use it as a starter, to get the flange centered and as close as possible, then start one of the correct bolts(dont forget the funky washer/seal), pull out the long bolt, and put in the other correct one. works every time.

powerplay

Ken, that's a good idea! I always have trouble with the bolt next to the coolant line. It is tough getting that one started with the little bolt and the line in the way. If I used a long one that went past the coolant line and started that one first.... then..... dawn breaks over marblehead! Thanks.

deez

Ya, I remember having everything done except those 2 bolts when I did my turbo swap and they kinda pissed me off. Good to hear its not just me.

Cut the metal tube, put a piece of power steering return line or anything oil resistent and then hose clamp it, works good, and you can even clamp up the hoses after the bolts are in /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

quasimondo

Are you installing the turbo as one piece? I tried that and I had a hell of a time, so the next time I had to pull my turbo off, before I reinstalled it, I took the exhaust housing off and put the compressor side on first. 1000X easier! Less weight to manhandle, oil return line bolts are easier to put in, and it made everythinge easier to install. When it was all done, install the exhaust housing, bolt up the downpipe to the o2, put the manifold back in and call it a day.

BTW, you oughta get TiVo so you'll never miss a show again.

Ken had a good way to help. Another good way is to loosen the turbo unit from the exhaust manifold so you can get a little more play in there.

The problem with the bolt holes on the oil pan is that nuts that are welded to the inside are not lined up very well. On mine, the bolt had to run so close to the wall of the hole in the oil pan that it kept pushing the bolt off center to the nut. Its also very easy to strip the oil pan because of this.

I don't recommend the hack n' hose method. The edges of the tube can be real sharp and that can cut the hose with enough vibration. Also, without a flare on the tubes, the hoses can work apart. Finally, I don't think there are many rubber hoses that can take the heat of the post-turbo oil for a long period without becoming brittle.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts