The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Removing engine harness

gs300cky

So I’m at a stage where I’m removing my wire harness to clean it up and redo a handful of connections.
I cannot get it removed from the firewall though, I got the rubber grommet facing up like it says but I still cannot get it to pull out, I’ve already disconnected everything inside as well.
does anyone have any experience with removing that rubber/ plastic clip

AllanL

behind the rubber grommet, there's a plastic collar with tabs that lock the grommet assembly in place on the firewall.

if you remove the tape covering the grommet, the plastic collar will be exposed fully.

you'll understand how to remove it [i hope] once you see the plastic collar.

gs300cky

Ya I was trying to study my new harness but was worried about breaking those tabs on accident. But if all I need to do is pull the rubber groomer back then I feel a lot safer
Thank you

AllanL

no, don't just pull the rubber grommet back...

pull the rubber grommet back... AND THEN check the plastic tabs for how it locks onto the firewall.

if i am not mistaken these tabs are 180 degrees apart, and need to be PUSHED in/towards the center of the harness.

i hope you understand what i am trying to say. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

in this pic from your other post, you can check the plastic tabs...

182880-0-0-0.jpg

it's like removing the headlight connectors..you need to push on the sides of the connector to release the locking tabs...

Last edited:

transparentdsm

There is also a bracket that is connected to the firewall behind the heater fan box that hold all the wiring harness, along with two or three harness connections that are above the box attached to the dashboard bar or whatever the big bar is called that goes across the car.

gs300cky

I did remove the connectors already and the clips but I will have to check behind the heater as I missed those.
And I understand what your saying now about the tabs under the rubber grommet.
THANK YOU guys for helping me out

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts