The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Tuning a Keydiver, MAFT, SAFC setup... Yep, 20 yr old setup...

CutlassJim

Quoting GSTwithPSI:
FWIW, on my relocated trunk battery, I also use a short ground wire which terminates in the trunk area. I've yet to have any issues with the car charging.

I'm not talking about charging the car AT ALL. That's a low current operation. Or even during running conditions where the alternator is doing all the work. I'm talking about high current electrical loads trying to pull through the chassis. The highest load you'll see in an automotive application will be a huge amplifier, which I fully understand is a small percentage of people it's just where I learned this, and the starter trying to start the car. If your battery is in the trunk and the starter is in the front of the car and you are only grounding it via the chassis you are restricting current flow to the starter and not letting it reach its potential power output. Period.

Again. It might start the car %99.9 percent of the time. But you are still restricting it. Like the exhaust situation.

Batteries are real sensitive to heat too. I have a little more of a challenge during a NH winter with 15-40w oil than you probably do in Socal or MD before that.

GSTwithPSI

Just guessing, since I've never actually measured it, but I be willing to bet the difference in current draw at the starter through the chassis verses a dedicated ground wire is negligible at best. We're talking about a giant chunk of metal here, not a 14 gauge wire. I will say, a dedicated ground wire is cheap insurance, though. It certainly can't hurt to have the extra ground.

If you're running some crazy audio equipment you should absolutely take measures to ensure there's a more robust circuit to facilitate current flow. But, if you're like me, the battery being in the trunk makes wiring the colocated amp that much easier.

I'd fire up 1837 a few times a month in the MD winters when temps were subzero. Even on E85 the car would start without issue. If the electrical system in the car (to include your chassis grounds) are maintained, I doubt you'll ever notice the difference one way or the other.

turbowop

Yeah, when I had 503 and used it as my ski rig I never had issues starting that car weekly in below zero temps with thick viscosity oil. Battery was in the trunk and grounded at the upper shock mount.

Is it cheap insurance? I guess. Is it "better"? Depends on your needs. But personally I don't like having an extra ~20ft of large gauge wire running through my car if I don't need it. I especially wouldn't wanna do that labor on a car I was planning to sell if it wasn't going to make a difference either.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts