The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

152/1000

transparentdsm

So on April 14th I got my self another Galant VR4. It's 152/1000. Can't find any info in the boards about the car though.

My buddy was at work one day and someone backed into him and crunched the rear a bit and pushed it into a concrete pillar. It already had a salvage title, but it was due to the old man that owned it sent it to the junk yard because 2nd gear had blown it's self apart. It's a KG and has working R12 in it.

Currently it runs and drives good and the damage isn't bad. I plan to do an EVO8/9 upgrade(injectors, fuel pump, maf, intercooler, stock frame larger turbo like 16g, 2.5" exhaust with a large resionator, vibrant muffler and a burnt chip to accommodate), replace bushings and suspension parts that are needed and just daily it.

Car is a little ruff and def needs lots of things replaced. So far I've done a rad, thermostat, oil pan, driveshaft, exhaust, shifter bushing, vacuum lines and ISC. I'll be doing suspension, driver half shaft and axle, knock sensor and a few other little things tonight.

bobdole

Nice pick up. She looks good. Mud flaps are interesting.

transparentdsm

Thanks Charles, the mudflaps we're on the car and I really like them. The car has been nice, it's got working A/C, I just reinstalled the cruise control and it freaking works!! The cruise system was in box in the trunk. The car also has a vsrf 1g intercooler that was cut and set up for the vr4(mimics the ets vr4 core) and a HKS sequential BOV.

I've started to collect my parts and the car is almost ready to be worked on. I got all new wheel bearing and seals, 4 new kyb gr2 struts, 4 new bump stops and dust boots, front kyb top hots, rear top hat bushings, poly front and rear sway bar bushing, all new end links, bought some 3" pipe to make my own ETS style intake, I also spent a bunch with Nate at Performance Part-out getting a tail light, a bunch of interior and little bits. I have everything for "my" upgrade path as well, I went with pte 680's(also from Nate). Only thing I don't have is the ECU chip, as I'm still undecided on a burnt chip or Link.

I got around to installing some parts I bought. I got a walbro 190lph and a B&M fuel filter mount fuel pressure gauge and after installing the car actually runs much smoother. I also bought the eBay drag and drift strut tower bars and I'm extremely impressed with them, $98 each shipped to my door from maylasia and only took 4 days, they are extremely light weight, seem to be good quality and reduced body roll enough to give me 3-7 mph around most of the corners I drive daily and 10 mph around a few light turns. I also got my C&R aluminum radiator in the car out of the old Galant as I'm gonna use a VW rad for the other Galant.

I also bought one of those large arm rests with the front and rear cup holders a loong time ago, had it sitting in box and it works and looks great with the stock shifter and is nice for driving.

I'm sure there is more, but this is what I can remember for now.

Last edited:

bobdole

Some good parts there. Good build so far.

gvr4ever

Digging the white wheels. I thought about putting white wheels on a black Galant. I was worried it would be over the top. Now, I'm not sure...

click

Safer choice.

click

transparentdsm

Quoting bobdole:
Some good parts there. Good build so far.

Thanks man. Yesterday I was able to get dirty with my Galant and install all 4 kyb struts, bump stops, dust boots, front kyb top hats, rear upper bushings, koyo rear wheel bearings w/ OEM dust shield, front and rear sway bar endlinks, front sway bar poly bushings.

I also found some issues that needed my desperate attention.
The drilled and slotted rotors on the car we're all on facing the wrong direct, the two bolts that hold the trans to the frame rail were not in the car at all, each rear caliper bracket only had 1 bolt in it, rear camber and toe adjustment bolts were rusty so I put newer ones in, lower control arms were bent, so I replaced those with spares I had, one of the wheel lugs stripped out so I had to cut off the lug and nut and replace that and I replaced a lot of rusty old bolts.

Gvr4ever: while I didn't mind them white, I did end up painting them flat black while I was doing the work yesterday and I really like how it turned out.

Nice! The missing bolts sound pretty scary. What brand is that rear brace?

transparentdsm

So I was driving home from my birthday dinner on the 22nd, about 70 miles from home, when the timing belt let loose. The car shut down and I was stuck on the side of the road. The wife was surprisingly supportive and told me to get it running again. So yesterday I had a free day and I pulled the old motor and transmission out of 152, pulled the motor out of 138 and stabbed the long block in 152.

Doing this has however made me think about 138/2000 and I'm not sure if I want to keep the car now. I don't have the time for the car, it's been taking up space in shop after shop for the last 2+ years, like any project it's constantly draining my wallet and due to the car being down for so long the thrill kinda isn't there anymore.

boostme

I've been watching some of toms turbo garage GVR4 vids and dsm ones. Really motivates ya

Heres my "restoration" pic. Block and trans installed and now I cleaned up my head ( lapped valves is a pain)

transparentdsm

^ hell yeah boostme I love seeing progress on these vehicle.

Well I got the car up and running, but I haven't been driving it. When I installed the new motor I went with a few upgraded parts(bastard 20g built from a FP 6sl2 18g, aeromotive AFPR, FP manifold, I have two sets of injectors I need to pick between still(680's and 2150's) and what I want to do about MAF type(stock, evo8 or sd). Currently running 450's and stock mad so I can move it around the shop. I have been rather busy and the Galant has been pushed to the sides. But I have been ordering parts and collecting more things as always. Just got a harness bar and ets cold side piping with a tial BOV that still needs installing.

I'm also looking for a set of recaro seats in black, like Evo x or speed seat

I've also decided the JDM bumpers and carbon fiber hood will be going on this car along with the carbon trunk lid i just ordered from carbonetics.

I've also decided that I will be selling my white 91, I'm gonna get it to a running and drive able point, but something that will def need work and I will be passing it along to the next person who wants to love it. So if anyone is interested or knows someone who is looking for a project Galant that will at least turn on and move under its own power hit me up.

This decision came about when I started to constantly need new parts to replace on the Galant as I was putting it back together and that caused me to just go buy a newer car (06 A4 Avant), making me realize I don't need two VR4's.

I'd also like to expand my horizons and try new platforms. I'm currently looking at an AP1

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts