The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Twin Disc Clutch Survey

arapp

This is just a survey so see which twin disc clutch setup you guys run/prefer on your GVR4’s.
I'm in the market for one and would like some feedback good/bad from those that are running them.

slugsgomoo

I would probably run the triple exedy that magnus was selling for a while, or the gear drive quartermaster, if I were buying new now- neither option was available when I bought mine.

That said, I pulled my engine (sold the 2.0 this weekend) and looked at my clutch (PTT high torque), and I have no spline wear, and the clutch basically looks new. Never really launched on it, but some hard miles with flat shifting at 9k+ on a 67mm turbo at 26psi /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I'll try to remember to take some pics when I go home.

mitsuturbo

I have the 6 leg QM geardrive. I absolutely love it. It is very noisy, though.
If i were buying one again, i'd definitely, with zero doubt, go for the Quarter Master 8 leg Gear Drive twin.

arapp

Thank you for the info, I see there are several Quartermaster 8 Leg twins on there I'll do more research.
Did you use their hydraulic release bearing or stick with the stock mitsu T/O bearing and fork?
Also how does the clutch pedal pressure feeling compare? Im trying to find one close to stock, my ACT2600 is beating me up.

slugsgomoo

My PTT is definitely lighter than stock. I'm using the PTT throwout bearing, which uses the backing plate from the OEM TOB to install (bearing is conical, OEM is not supported with my clutch).

To make mine more driveable, I have the 2g FWD slave cylinder, and the 2g accumulator tank and it still requires practice to get comfortable with (valets will hate you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowrofl.gif )that said... I doubt I would run a twin unless I needed to- that being either high torque, or high RPM shifting. Otherwise they are a bit race-car-y to live with.

Southbend has some nice single disc options that turbowop and others have reviewed quite positively here.

mitsuturbo

My QM pedal effort is about like stock (possibly lighter). Definitely nowhere near what a 2600 is.
I'm running stock TOB and a Comp clutch fork that is clearanced for the pressure plate.
A twin is definitely not for everybody. It certainly gives the car a much more "race only" feel to it. Stop and go traffic is pretty shitty. These clutches are basically on or off. There's not much in between. And slipping them isn't a great idea, since the floater will warp fairly easily, as will the pressure plate. Fortunately, individual parts to rebuild/repair these are fairly inexpensive. I paid 800 for my clutch used with great frictions, but the PP and Floater were blued and warped beyond belief. It cost me another 200 to replace the PP and floater.

EMX5636

I absolutely love my Exedy twin plate. But sadly, I don't think they're available anymore. I bought a spare a while back for parts in case I needed to rebuild it. I have 25-30k on it at 500~ whp.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts