The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

RAVE: Finally got my JDM bumpers

Nebraska

Too excited! I plan on making a this thread similar to my Evo 9 BBS restoration . I noticed when searching for information, it was all there, but NOT all in the same place.

If you can find it link it up, but I’ll still do it anyway.

I have not done any body work in my life so maybe this will be fun.
Shout out to gaylantvr4 who helped me acquire said bumpers! A+ seller, would do business again.
img.php

img.php

Nebraska

Update:
In case anyone is ever searching threads for JDM Bumpers and/or brackets Ill throw some info on here.

Removed the front bumper using this .

then I kind of had to wing it with the rear...

Started with taking some picks of all the bolts.

Remove these ones first. Both sides...

And don't forget these.

Now these, hopefully they don't salt roads wherever you hail from.

Now go inside the trunk...
Look in the quarter panel.

Lastly, remove the 4 bots. NOTE the Black brackets with two 17MM bolts.

unfold sides of bumper off the car and pull with your hands under the bumper lip with each hand near where the black brackets were.

Fitted the rear slightly. Gotta add some bolts yet and make it snug everywhere so I can start prepping them.

Exhaust is going to need some work to say the least. I'm not sure if I will keep the angling, although I might do a straighter style since I have a cutout now :)

Edit: JDM bumper bolts right up if supplied with the metal brackets on the inside. I was fortunate enough.
Otherwise home depot that thing.

Last edited:

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Did those lower bolts come out without breaking? So often they are rusted and snap off.

Nebraska

All bolts that weren’t in the trunk snapped on me. My car was a Minnesota car for the first 24 years of its life, I think I’m lucky that the bolts were most of my rust issues

Last edited:

slugsgomoo

hope the hernia from pulling off the US bumpers heals quickly /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowrofl.gif

Nebraska

Using the thread below to help me out, some good info in this how to.
GOOD JDM BUMPER INFO

I was lucky enough to find some bumpers with the metal skeletons inside and brackets but if you don't I think Nate Crisman has good pictures of a home depot bracket he made. Ill start looking..
Nate Crismans Home Depot brackets in this thread. basically do this, slide it in to the bracket holders, open of the trunk and mark your holes with a sharpy, drill and tap. Make sure bumper is straight.
Pictures could be a good reference for DIYer Front brackets, I would be curious to see these DIY brackets on the car and how the bumper would sit. One thing that scared me away from bumpers without brackets.

Also if someone can get the measurments for me (still waiting on front brackets from seller) I can CNC a bunch at work (NEW HURCO, YAY) and stock pile them for you guyz on my favorite forum. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Last edited:

Nebraska

Started playing with the rear bumper more today, started repairing the brackets too. My rear bracket on one side rusted out.
So I thought would play...

Sand blasted area of rot. It was pretty THIN.

Had to clean it.

I was not happy, and OCD kicked in

Choice fitment for more durability. Now ready to sand blast and paint.

May remake brackets that connect to the side brackets as mine are rusty nubs.

Nebraska

Got the bracket welded and installed. Even had like new bumper clips off my USDM bumper to really get the brackets on!

Update: fitted rear bumper with all bolts except the bottoms of each side( need to make new tabs)

Other than that, bolting the bumper up really pulled it in close to the body and I’m happy with the fitment! Before, there was a gap that worried me but not anymore as it’s gone. I can say I’m not a fan of pulling, pushing, and tapping on the bumper to get it into the right places when mounting but in the end I got it.

Check it:

Goodness gracious that exhaust is hideous...

Last edited:

strokin4dr

Looking good man! Glad you got it squared away.

Nebraska

How to images and specs for bumper brackets coming soon!
Post in here or how to archive??

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
You can post it in the "How To" section.

Nebraska

Gladly. Coming soon to a how to archive near you. Might even make a bunch depending on if anyone wants them.

Nebraska

Update!

Still working on getting a cad screenshots with measurements for the front brackets that the bumper bolts to.

In the meantime I’ve been working on the front bumper, and getting it fitted. Ended up having to shim the brackets to get the bumper arms to align properly because at first one arm always an inch outside of the bracket when the other side was on the bracket. I don’t know why this was the case, maybe it was stored funny (on the face) and overtime the urethane “settled” pulling the arms out???

Now that it’s bolted on, I must figure out how to get the sides flushed up when the wheel well and the front top of the bumper snugged up with piece under the headlights...both seem like headaches kind of. Check out my pics.

I’ll be JDM AS F!$& in no time.

Nebraska

Any auto body guys on here have suggestions for fixing/making the front fit better on the sides and in the front middle beneath the headlights??

GSTwithPSI

You can cut some hard styrofoam to fit in the bumper channel to provide some bracing in the areas where it is sagging. You can also use a heat gun to try and shape the plastic a bit.

Looks like that bumper has seen better days. Is the factory skeleton all present and still attached to the inside of the bumper?

Nebraska

Yes skeletons are present, that's why I'm thinking previous storing methods may have caused the sagging.

I've heard of the heat gun method. Is it pretty effective? I'm willing to try anything.

Nebraska

Oh funny, do have a blue bumper too? Ill be glad when I never have to mess with fitting again. It was 30* today, at least tomorrow and Friday we will have temps around 45-50*. Intercooler is coming soon, did you have to do any trimming with your bumper for the FMIC? Looks like there is some good space in there without a crash bar present.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts