The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

JDM Galant vr4 or Usdm lancer evolution ?

galantrevolution

I have the opportunity to buy a JDM galant is a 1991 super vr4 , I'm been looking to buy a 2006 lancer evolution since I sold my usdm vr4, it has been a year and I want to go back to drive a AWD Mitsubishi turbo car .which one is best the JDM galant or the USDM evolution 9?

gvr4ever

The best at what?

Stock, a EVO is going to be better. Are all JDMs RHD? I think they are, but I don't know for sure. Are all the parts the same as USDM? Heater core, coolant lines for the heater core, etc. I'd think brake lines, clutch lines could be different.

thomcasey

EVO parts are more expensive, but you would have to pay big shipping charges to get replacement JDM parts. Personally, I would choose the EVO as long as it was not ragged on. Parts are more readily available and there is tons of support for them.

thomcasey

Just note, 66 pictures and not one underbody picture. JDM cars can suffer from the same rot that the us cars can. They always look pretty from above

4Grim

Its really owners preference.

Performance out of the box and aftermarket support and parts availability...easily the Evo.

Classic heritage, limited support, older car but want to drive something that has character and extreme cool factor...the GVR4.

fuel

I think a RHD car in the US wont make for a good daily driver - trying to overtake, go through drive-thrus/toll booths etc will be a pain. On the plus side if you deliver a lot of mail it would be great!

fuel

Also I had a look at the car - it is wearing an incorrect Super VR-4 badge (it is not a Super VR-4), and I have no idea what that Cyclone badge is from on the passenger side fender (it's missing from the driver's side).

It's an Evolution model which means it gets 510cc yellow top injectors, TD05H-B16G turbo, larger intercooler/piping and a close ratio transmission with 3.909 4-bolt viscous LSD rear end.

It is also missing the speed-sensitive auto intermittent wiper function that the USDM VR-4s and the JDM Evolutions have - and the dash pop-up box lid appears to be broken and covered.

citymunky

Quoting 4Grim:
Its really owners preference.

Performance out of the box and aftermarket support and parts availability...easily the Evo.

Classic heritage, limited support, older car but want to drive something that has character and extreme cool factor...the GVR4.

Agreed.

Quoting fuel:
I think a RHD car in the US wont make for a good daily driver - trying to overtake, go through drive-thrus/toll booths etc will be a pain. On the plus side if you deliver a lot of mail it would be great!

Agreed as well, I own a JDM VR4 however is not my daily driver only a weekend car. Overtaking trucks and SUV's is a pain at time and I avoid drive-thrus unless I have a passenger. I have a EZ pass for toll booths. Parts between the USDM and JDM cars are 80% the same (mostly the mechanical parts are the same).

G

Staff member
How much $ are they asking for that gvr4 evo? The sunroof throws me off. I thought they didn't have sunroofs? Do the evo's have cyclone int manifolds? Monte carlo has leather and can be had auto trans? Super vr4 had leather to right?

fuel

- Sunroof is an option for the Evolution - obviously not available on the RS though
- Evo has the Cyclone type dual runner manifold but it is badged 'ECI MULTI'
- Monte Carlo doesn't have leather, comes in black only with body coloured wheels (like USDM models), sunroof as standard and a deletion of the fender marker lamps. Can be had in auto but most were manual.
- Super VR-4 has the leather interior and most are automatic, but there are some manual Supers around.

G

Staff member
Thanks for clearing that up fuel. I was able to find the inspection report on the gvr4 evo in this thread. Looks like there was accident damage on the rear end, left front and rear right. What the hell kind of install is going on with those front door speakers. Looks like the pockets were relocated to install the speakers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Fuel, what about the 2 tone paint job? Was that stock or a mod?

Silly fella in SC thinks jasma is an exhaust brand, no wonder he can't read the inspection report.

0_9.jpg

Last edited:

fuel

Two tone is an option and relatively common on the black Galants. You can even get red over gunmetal two tone.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts