The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Oil filters

gvr4ever

Local stores seem to not have any more oil filters for the 4G63 anymore. What are you guys using?

Been getting Wix from rock auto. They have Mann, BOSCH, Denso and a few others.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I have not had problems finding filters that I have noticed, but maybe not bought one in a year or so. I use purolator typically if I am out of Mitsu filters.

thomcasey

O'Reillys carries them. Bothe the short fat one and the little 2g model. I use the little 2g model due to having a forward facing OFH

gvr4ever

Quoting iceman69510:
I have not had problems finding filters that I have noticed, but maybe not bought one in a year or so. I use purolator typically if I am out of Mitsu filters.

The purolator pureone was my go to filter. No stores around me have it. I did find it online at Amazon. I checked a few weeks ago and couldn't find it.

click

I guess as long as Amazon keeps it stocked, all is well.

thomcasey

I prefer the WIX and Microguard filters. They always have the little filter in stock locally.

4Grim

I guess usually depends on the local market I guess.

Oreilly typically has them in stock...I use Wix or Puralator.

MellowVR4

I go to Napa for my oil filters for the vr4. Part# should be 1381 and that's a wix, But they also have others that are supposed to be OEM replacements and even have the oe number on it. Don't know the part # on that one tho.

biglady112

I run Mazda rx8 wix filters. Never seems to be a shortage anywhere. I prefer the tiny filters and only play with race cars. No gay street wannabe here.

ApexHunter

Some independent testing showed the Genuine Mitsu filters weren't all that great. Not bad, but didn't have the greatest filtration. The takeaway from the testing was that the Wix was the way to go, until you decide to spend double on a fancypants Amsoil unit.

The Napa (Wix) had 2 choices. The blue or the red. Blue had a bit better build quality, but both were solid for

GSTwithPSI

Interesting this was posted. I was just at 2 local parts stores recently (Autozone, Advance) and neither of them stocked oil filters for the 4G63 anymore. It's strange, because I've purchased a bunch of filters from both stores' normal stock in the past.

Just another check in the box proving the DSM is getting phased out...Sad, really.

I'd use the Wix filters whenever possible. Although, I've used Fram crap extensively with zero issues. If you're changing the oil at normal intervals, most filters will get the job done sufficiently.

ghostinthevr4

I think the 4g63 oil filter are the same on the montero and some other mitsubishis. Can't remember off the top of my head which models but I'm pretty sure the montero is one of them.

gvr4ever

Quoting GSTwithPSI:
Interesting this was posted. I was just at 2 local parts stores recently (Autozone, Advance) and neither of them stocked oil filters for the 4G63 anymore. It's strange, because I've purchased a bunch of filters from both stores' normal stock in the past.

Just another check in the box proving the DSM is getting phased out...Sad, really.

I'd use the Wix filters whenever possible. Although, I've used Fram crap extensively with zero issues. If you're changing the oil at normal intervals, most filters will get the job done sufficiently.

That is what is was like for me. It wasn't just that I couldn't get the filter I wanted. I couldn't find any.

The Fram design might actually be okay. I looks like sloppy tolerances and manufacturing is the issue. At $4.50 a pop, I might just order a bunch of Wix filters just in case they go away too.

thomcasey

Fram uses paper end caps inside the filter that easily allow collapse. Wix, Microguard and Puralator use steel endcaps. I watched a video on them. Will never touch a Fram again, at least for oil.

ApexHunter

As for Fram, i've been using their Ultra filters on my Evo, and they're actually pretty nice. Good build quality and filter media (no paper end caps here). And apparently they are just fine at oil temps >220 for sustained periods, as i've done several track days with them w/o issue. Here's a nice little vid on the Fram line up- gutted and analyzed. click

I've used the cheapo Frams on my work van w/o issue, but i like using nice filters on my cars.

Quoting ApexHunter:
The Napa (Wix) had 2 choices. The blue or the red. Blue had a bit better build quality, but both were solid for

GSTwithPSI

I've literally cut open probably 20 different filters. I've even got pictures of a couple recent ones in my build thread. I've yet to cut open one that failed, or was designed so poorly it would fail. I've used Wix, Denso, Fram (Tough and Extra Guard), AC Delco, Purolator, K&N, you name it...The design differences between each are minimal. Of the filters I've cut open, the Denso and Wix seemed to have the more robust designs. The K&N filter actually looked the crappiest inside. At $4, the Fram tough guard filters are built fairly well and hard to beat for the price. I ran them exclusively for nearly a decade on my old 1G Eclipse without a single issue. Last I heard that turd still runs on the stock block.

Change the oil and filter and the proper interval and that's really the best you'll do, regardless of the filter used.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned