The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

What is the best way to fix this?

citymunky

What is the best way to fix this?

thomcasey

Scrape the foam out and either use spray adhesive to attach it directly to the cover or get some thin foam from a material store and glue it with spray adhesive between the material and the cover.

misterfixit

As mentioned, but you need to do some dissasembly first.

Mine are repaired, but I didn't remove the foam.

1/ pop out the light lenses.
2/ remove the two phillips heas screws. #2 size.
3/ carefully wiggle and unhook the mirror/light assembly.
4/ disconnect wiring.
Once off the visor you can work a lot easier on it without risk of messing up the visor itself.

You can also swap in one off a 3000GT as the flappy, mirror assembly bit is the same /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

If you are going to stick it, you can spray carpet adhesive now onto the back of the hard visor flap and smooth the fabric and foam back onto the lid. When I did mine I used masking tape and clothes pegs to manage the edges so it sat tight as the glue was properly hardened.

Once glued overnight, reassemble in the reverse order. The one in my green car was done about 40K ago and has been perfect ever since. The lightup mirror is a feature my wife likes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hope this helps.

Rich

kumfasa

I had issues with a sagging head liner in an old Volvo of mine.
I used spray adhesive directly onto the foam backed cloth and within 6 months it has sagged again because the foam layer between the cloth and the hard shell of the head liner was degraded and it just came away again.
The second time I did it I used a brush to remove the foam layer and glued the cloth directly to the hard shell of the head liner and it stayed glued for another year at least before I sold the car.
It did look a little uneven but I'm talking about a large area of the roof with many different contours and trying to match that with some of the lining that was still well attached... It was mission impossible.

For something that size...
If the foam layer is not dry rotted or heat damaged in any way I would just use some spray adhesive directly onto the foam.
If the foam is not so flash I would rub it off the best way you can and glue the cloth directly to the plastic flap.

Let us know how it turns out.

mjdarg

I've been getting by with some tape for a few years but it didn't like the cold weather this year. I'll have to try the adhesive onto the foam.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts