The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

138/2000

transparentdsm

So to not dive to deep into real life, my dog is progressively getting sicker and i sold 138/2000. It sold to a close friend and he let me keep some parts and the badge number and associated items because i wanted them and to also offset the value of the vehicle. while i was selling everything off i had put my snowmobile up and i got an offer to trade my sled to save another VR4. It had no cams or gears, FPR, or ECU in it. The car is currently at my buddies house in dayton where it was only supposed to be the install of those parts and a head gasket swap and turned into my anal retentive friend pulling apart and rebuilding the head after he found a few things, the worst of which was the head bolts weren't torqued at all.

stock cam, gears and FPR, but i splurged and got a link for the car as it really needs it with everything done to it.

here is the parts list:
Engine
Frankenstein setup
6bolt block .020 over standard main cap size
reconditioned/hardened big 6bolt rods
evo9 aluminum pistons .020
hastings chromoly rings
acl tri metal bearings all standard size
arp rod/main/head studs/flywheel/cam bolts
balance shaft delete
oem mitsu timing componants
HKS timing belt
1g head ferra 1mm over valves
sodium filled exhaust valves
crower springs titanium retainers
3g lifter
hks clear cam cover
rebult throttle body fiav delete
cometic .020 mls head gasket
p/s delete
a/c delete
aws delete
cruise delete
j racing alternator relocation
poly motor mounts
oem pcv
crushed 1g bov
2g dejon intake/maf
2 1/2 i/c 3in core long route
2g exhaust mani arp hardware
ebay tdo5 20g
tial external wg 38mm
3in turbo back exhaust oe looking muffler 3in
all new seals

Drivetrain

oem trans
competition sprung six puck clutch
competiton clutch forged clutch fork/pivot ball
ss clutch line
no name lightweight flywheel
oem diff/axels

Fuel

fic 850cc injectors
walbro 255 fuel pump
stm -6an fuel return kit
new oem filter

Tuning

innovate mtx-l wideband wired to ecm
2g maf
tru-glo boost gauge
apexi turbo timer

interior

Ortiz pods 2guage holder speaker cover pod
nrg suede steering wheel/ boss

exterior
white hid low beam
yellow hid fogs
oem thule roofrack and fairing
ebay front bumper lip

Before clean up:

During clean up:

this is cylinder 1, which after he torqued the head bolts down had 140 psi compression, light kissing, but were hoping the compression numbers will mean were safe.

getting prepped for reassemble

there will be lots more updates once the motor is back together and once i get it up to oregon from nevada.

Last edited:

GSTwithPSI

I'm not sure how much you have currently invested in this, Shane, but the short block is going to need to be disassembled. Whoever put it together screwed it up, and installed the pistons backwards. The intake valve reliefs (the large ones) should be oriented to the intake side of the block (rear/knock sensor side). As you can see in your pics, the valve reliefs are swapped; the intake relief is on the exhaust side and vise versa. I'd be willing to bet this contributed to your bent intake valve.

In short, you'l need to pull the motor, and at least pull the rods and pistons. Personally, I'd disassemble the entire thing to make sure nothing else was screwed up given some of the obvious mistakes that have already been made.

173584-0-0-0.jpg

transparentdsm

oh man you really scared the sh*t out of me Brett. i just did some research and the reliefs are actually deep enough and the dots are supposed to be facing the timing belt. i was wondering how someone put 7000 miles on the motor and now all of the sudden its weird. this car has been threw a few different peoples hands and the last person who had it took it apart to do a head gasket and never put it back together right and started to part it out. he thought it was a head gasket because he changed spark plugs and mixed all the wires up and the car wouldn't start.

transparentdsm

I don't have much money invested. I was asking 600$ for the sled, had friends help me out and I'm only maybe 600$ into it with travel and everything.

GSTwithPSI

Quoting transparentdsm:
oh man you really scared the sh*t out of me Brett. i just did some research and the reliefs are actually deep enough and the dots are supposed to be facing the timing belt.

The reason people put them in backwards in because of the wrist pin offset. Orienting them backwards on in the DSM block keeps them oriented as they would be in an Evo block. However, when that's done the user will typically either A) have the stock exhaust valve reliefs machined or B) use an aftermarket piston that has equally sized reliefs. At very least, I'd check the PTV clearance and make sure you've got the space you need for a safety margin...Especially since with 1mm oversized valves, you're significantly reducing it.

Personally, I'd want the valve reliefs oriented correctly (or clearanced), but again, that's just me. I'm not sure how having the offset on the wrong side of the block dicks things up, as there's not a lot of information on the topic.

This is the reason nobody uses Evo pistons. By the time you get them set up right, you could have just purchased a nice forged set of aftermarket slugs. But, since you've already got the set installed, and have basically nothing invested, it may be worthwhile to set it up correctly. Measure your PTV clearance and you may get away with running it as is.

transparentdsm

i cant afford to spend any more money on this thing and it was running fine before someone messed with it. im going to leave it as is because if the block has to come apart the car is getting parted out and ill sell a gutted shell. it was dumb luck i got my hand on this in trade of the sled and if i can't make it work from where im at its got to go. from what ive read i should be more then fine and im going to hope so. for example if the car goes back together and doesn't run right its getting sold. it will have to go on to the next person. i hate to do it, but if ican save it i will. ive already spent more money on it then i wanted to/should have.

transparentdsm

after some digging around, im pretty sure this is a DSM graveyard built engine. i won't know till later today when i have my buddy look for the marking when he gets home from work, but with everything thats done to it and how things are i think its one of theres. my buddy told me the block is powder coated this deep purple, never noticed it in the pictures till now, but there and thats one of there options along with doing the EVO9 pistons and all the other stuff done. all i can hope is it makes the 300 mile trip from reno to klamath then i can sit back burner till i have money again.

transparentdsm

so little update, my buddy decked the head and re-lapped the valves for me and once he put the head on he didn't like the clearance. Due to this he ended up pulling the head off, and cut valve reliefs on the intake side of the pistons. put the car back together and she fired right up. the car has some wiring issues that i need to work out, but the engine is up and running and will work out for a little while.

what this means is that i'm going to have to start saving up money and getting ready to build this spare block i have laying around. only need a few parts to finish the spare engine. i need valves, cams and 3g lifter for the head to be put together. the block need a new oil pump, crank and rod bearings and machine work. all the other parts a brand new sitting in boxes scattered throughout my house.

transparentdsm

Got it in my shop about a month ago, removed head, found a valve retainer keeper missing and leaving a valve hanging wide open. During the last month I have picked up a DSM to gut it, restart my hoarding collection and get the full abs delete and 5 lug conversion. Inside the car buried in a box I found an almost fresh cylinder head. I slapped that on the galant and it fired up and runs OK. Still have some things to finish before I can let it get to operating temperature, but I'm making progress.

There was also a set of kybs gr2 and Megan springs on the talon. I removed them and found someone who wanted to trade them for a clean set of Evo 8 rims and 3 extra rims that have flaws.

Took the 2g GST chrome rims that were on the parts talon and and put them on my 2g talon. Car looks pretty good with these rims. Next week the talon will be put in the garage for a few days to receive new valve stem seals, water pump and timing components.

I've been super busy lately with work and selling parts locally, driving. It's been a long few months for me. All and all things are rolling forward and I'm happy with everythings progress.. been doing everything by myself and in the cold so taking pictures has not been on my list of things to care about.

transparentdsm

Turned the car on 2 days ago and went through a heat cycle, took it for a little drive. still need to bleed the clutch and adjust the shifter a bit as i have to hold the car in 1st gear. car is starting to come along. i need to set the timing and do some other odds and ends, but its almost there.

transparentdsm

Got a wideband in, a little tune, a boost gauge, Evo 8 rims with nice meaty tires and I installed the coilovers and adjusted them for the car.

transparentdsm

So i had a brake line break on me, so i will be doing a CTS-V upgrade since i need to buy new lines. So the car is just sitting again, im broke and can only make a few small moves here and there. I found a piece of stainless steel sheet in my shop so i made some plates to cover the trunk side pocket things. i also drilled 2 small holes in the trunk to run some battery tie-downs for my relocation. Next i need a kill switch for the battery, i def. need this as i plan to run autocross in this car and maybe do a track day or two a year if i can.

I'll also be doing a thorough CTS-V write-up on everything i do, everything needed and my reasoning behind doing things differently then all the other write-ups I've seen if i do anything different. I have seen a few different ways people have installed the CTS-V's and im unsure of what method i will use or if i will have to come up with my own way. So far i have CTS-V calipers, pads and hardware, a 3g non-abs, non traction control brake booster and master cylinder with res., next ill be buying cobra svt 13" rotors, evo 8 stainless front brake lines, from there i will start to mock things up and see what spacers i need to get this thing braking again.

transparentdsm

I'll be doing an update soon. I just got the car pulled out of the garage and I need to do some tuning and get it registered. I do have a nice collection of parts. I currently don't have a laptop so I am posting from my phone. I hope to have a new laptop soon. My MacBook died about 2 months ago.

Last edited:

transparentdsm

Ok, so its been a pretty long time since i've posted and that's mostly because the car hasn't made any progress, but a little over 3 weeks ago things actually started to happen. I'll start with the car is running and driving, i have registered and insured the vehicle, i have 145-150 psi at 4100 foot elevation across the board, ive put a little over 250 miles on it, a borrowed a laptop from a friend so i can make adjustments and do some light tuning. so far im happy, car is fun at a low 16 psi.

As far as parts changing out, i have done nothing with the CTS-V calipers, i still need rotors. I got a set of EVO X rear seats for $100 and installed them, i rewired the fuel pump, replaced shifter bushings and put a 1G shift arm in, got an awesome Mitsu wood shift knob from Ed Seal and put that on, i removed the rest of the A/C system behind the dash, but kept the air box in place to still have heat and it actually blows kinda cool air if you use the fresh air setting, fix the sunroof so it works, installed the OEM rear 1/4 window shades and Brett Adams custom stickers, made a 4" intake that i still need to finish up, valve cover with -10 an fittings to a HKS catch can, i managed to score an OEM hood and bumper bra and roof racks for it as well, a set of clear 93 headlights and i put on the chrome slat grill. Im sure there is more, but its been a crazy few months for me.

I am starting to collect a nice pile of build parts as well. I got a PTE BB turbo, FP race manifold, QM twin-disc clutch, 1.6L head with BC springs and titanium retainers(just rebuilt), i have a block sitting in my kitchen that im trying to make a decision of what to do with it(to stroker or not to stroker)

transparentdsm

so i have recently moved into a larger shop space, the galant is sitting in storage mode right now and after i clear a few things off my plate i plan to do some serious work to the car. Its probably going to be down for a while as i want to clean and repaint the engine bay, then remove, replace, repair and tuck as much wire as i can. Do a few engine upgrades, i think im going to convert to an air to water intercooler, put everything back together and finish the exterior.. gonna be a long project, but i think i finally know what i want from this car, so i have to start somewhere.

I bought a mostly stock 93 TSi AWD to fill my turbo void while i do what im going to do to the galant..

This is what the new space looks like. I have 1 more car in there(01 passat) and a bunch of tools not pictured.

G

Staff member
Nice man.

4Grim

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

transparentdsm

So it has been a really long time. Car is currently sitting in my new shop space, I have been collecting parts for it again. Got a carbon fiber hood for a steal, some DKS 272's for a steal, waiting on the matching hood struts from Charles to be made. I have pulled some bits off the Galant recently though to make my talon a little more fun to drive. It's only been bits I plan to replace with upgrades. Unfortunately I have no pictures of stuff, but soon I'll be adding some. Life has been beyond busy for me and this last year literally flew by for me.

transparentdsm

So a little change up happened for me. I am moving shop spaces again, got a great deal on a much larger space. I did get a chance to remove the stock white hood, but haven't put the carbon fiber one on yet, might do it real quick this morning. My shop mate got a new lip for his evo and it came with some side skirt things, we ended up putting them on the vr4, doesn't look to bad either. Pictures to come in that soon. Once I get a few things moved into the new shop I can start to tinker again. For now it's back on wheels and rolling by hand. I really miss driving the car and need to start sorting it out for real. I am very close though. Also if anyone has a line on a carbon trunk lid please let me know.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts