The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

GVR4 on BAT

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Just noticed this morning.

BAT

Anyone on here?

ShaggyTE

That's definitely one of the more active comment sections I've seen on their lately. Seller is doing a great job responding to everyone's questions. Hopefully it does well! It's nice to see these cars get any attention from outside groups.

ApexHunter

SO. MUCH. WANT.

That car is damn near perfect for me. I really want a BG. Just don't want to store it on the street /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif Did that with 1951 and after some asshat hit it, it was a slow and painful death.

Yohler

Making a trip to Oregon in a week anyhow, told the wife I'll just drive this home /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

engiekev

The bidding process on BAT is a little different, best read up if you're going to place a bid. Its really exciting as the time limit will increment every time a bid is placed during the last few minutes.

I bought a '99 GSX off of BAT and the transaction was great, keep in mind that BAT site also takes a fee on top of the final price.

ApexHunter

Yep, buyer pays the commission. The last 30 minutes should be interesting. I'll be watching!

McG

Hopefully the last 30 minutes are interesting!

Hi Guys - So I'm the person with the GVR4 on Bringatrailer.com. I've been lurking on galantvr4.org for years (I come here for solutions to problems), but never thought my input would be valuable, so I never joined the forum. Should have. Just didn't. Also my car was a daily driver, not a project or major modification platform so my questions mostly related to maintenance and repairs. Pretty mundane/boring stuff.

Anyway, I wanted to drop by and say thanks to ApexHunter and Iceman for stopping by the auction. GVR4s are fantastic cars, but they're so little known by the average car enthusiast that they seem to get ignored. That said, your input on the car and GVR4s in general was appreciated. Part of my concern in posting it to BaT (or any auction site) was that people wouldn't know what it is and would not even check it out. Of the various auction options, I do like BaT's format best (certainly way better than ebay) and they do reach a nationwide audience (unlike local craigslist) that's typically far more savvy to cool and interesting cars so hopefully that helps in the final bidding. I also like how they let the lurkers and bidders mingle and comment about the cars posted for sale. The comments can be mean, or stupid, or funny (or all three!), but they keep the excitement level high if there's enough interest. But no matter what, I'll know Wednesday around 2pm Pacific time if selling it in an auction was a good choice or not. Meanwhile if it doesn't sell, then it goes to my son and it will still (sort of) be mine. Either way I win. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks again for the comments and keep up the good work (to everyone) on gvr4.org!

Cheers,
McG

Gabor

Bring a trailer is fun to read but probably the worst place to sell a car.
The audience is small. On ebay you'll get much more people and a hell of a lot less tire kickers who'll pick your car apart front of potential buyers.
If it's a rare car BAT will feature it anyway, just send the ebay link to them.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
McG, I hope you have a reserve on the car. If it stays anywhere near where it is without a reserve, I may have to bid.

The auctions on there don't always move much at the end. And like Gabor said, not sure how big the audience is yet. My friend sold a 95 Eclipse GSX on there, had 37K miles, everything on the car was like new. It went for $6500. I thought for sure it would go higher, but there was not last minute bidding.

McG

Thanks for the feedback. I do have a reserve on the car and even though they let you lower it during the auction to spur interest, I don't think I'll be doing that. As for whether or not this will generate any heat at the end, who the hell knows. A lot of people have asked me what I think my Galant VR-4 is worth and I typically say, "oh, about $10K... but that's just what I think. Most people wouldn't pay half that because they don't know what it is.", all of which is true.

As you know, GVR4s are incredible cars and I've certainly been really happy with mine over the last 16 years. Compared to so many mundane, boring cars out there on the used market, these things are waaay more interesting, fun, fast and special than the general market thinks of them. On top of that they're part of a limited edition and they have a real racing heritage too! Most cars and car manufacturers can't make that claim.

Too bad the market in general barely knows what a GVR4 is. I was just hoping the enthusiasts on BaT would give it some love. They certainly have in the comments section... lots of positive feedback overall. Unfortunately those positive comments have not turned into meaningful numbers on the bidding side... yet. But hey, I'm an optimistic guy and I could end up being surprised with some decent bid numbers at the end. We'll see on Wednesday afternoon. And if not, then most likely I'll just keep it and let my son drive it. Either way I win!

GSTwithPSI

I'd keep it regardless. For one, you'll never get what it's actually worth. Two, you'll likely never find another 1 owner Galant that clean.

I think these cars will fetch decent coin when the surplus of hacked up shitty VR-4s are in the junkyard, and the pool is narrowed down to the few clean cared for examples. Until then, the Galant VR-4 is just another DSM to most people.

McG

I agree with you that I will likely never find another mostly stock, 2-owner (I'm the 2nd, but owned it the longest at almost 16-years) Galant VR-4 in this condition, unless I pay a lot of money for the last one left or find a crap one and pay stupid money to completely rebuild it. And I likely won't get what I think it should be worth. But I'm already in the auction and set a reserve, so if it hits the reserve it's going to the next guy.

I've really enjoyed the journey and had my fun with the Galant, so I'm OK with that. Plus I've also let some other great cars go over the years that would be nice to own today ('65 Mustang GT 2+2, '72 Datsun 510, '88 Celica Alltrac), but I'm no Jay Leno and the choice to sell those cars at the time were good choices. I did other stuff with the money and opened up garage space. I'll do the same now, so that's cool.

But... in a perfect world, this would go out to my 200,000 square foot garage/storage facility on my 10,000 acre ranch (complete with hundreds of miles of gravel roads!) and I would have my permanent crew of mechanics get to work turning this into a 450-hp street sleeper. Oh yeah, I would have a few other VR-4s (plus various Lancia Delta Integrale's, an R5 Turbo II, a few 323 GTXs in various states of tune, mid-90s ex-WRC EVOs and Imprezas, a new Ariel Atom Nomad, and maybe a Jet pack, etc.) to play with on the ranch's back roads while I wait for my Galant build to be wrapped up. Then I would do a TV show called McG's Garage and you would all hate me. Or wish you were me. Or something.

Enough with the fantasies though... I've gone through withdrawals a couple of times thinking about selling this car, so I'm kind of over that. In fact I've considered selling it multiple times over the last 2 years, and each time I keep thinking the market on these will "pop" because - like you said - all the good ones will be gone and that's when I'll put it on the market. We could all be waiting years for the "pop", or maybe it's tomorrow. Me? I'm an eternal optimist, so I'm betting tomorrow will be a good day for 2-owner Galant VR-4 auctions.

And everyone here should be hoping I'm right! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

McG

If the bids go above the reserve price I've set, then the car sells. BaT is no different than ebay or other auctions in this respect.

I do have the option to lower the reserve during the auction if I wish, but I can't raise it if I decide later after fixing a reserve price that I think my reserve was too low.

That said, I do think the car will hit its reserve and sell tomorrow... hopefully... for a lot of money. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I'm all in at this point, so wish me luck!

McG

@turbowop - We can always hope it will stay in the PNW! I would be fine either way, but it would become my son's car (he has agreed to buy it for a fixed price below my reserve if it doesn't sell).

GSTwithPSI

$5,800 for this car? No way in hell I would have sold it for that...

Looks like I'll be holding on to my turds for a while yet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/roll.gif

NateCrisman

Wow, Im impressed with the $5800 price. I would have assumed it would have stuck at the $3333 bid and gone no further, and not actually sold. Im most impressed that there were actually 2 different people bidding on the car that actually wanted it. Im not screwing around or just "being a dong" here...Im actually impressed the bidding went that high, especially for a stock car.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Will help others that want to sell clean examples and or replace clean examples that have been too heavily accidented and the insurance needs to pay out.

Thanks for posting your thoughts here McG, it does help in many ways, not solely with the sale of the car.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts