The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

DIY JDM-ish grill

EfiniX

When I got my car, the PO had shaved off all of the badges and locks before painting the car some Porsche grey. I'm "meh" on the door locks, but I never liked the fact that the emblems were gone. As it turns out, the emblem on the grill wasn't gone, just covered in bondo and painted over...

...poorly.

Well I finally got it in my head to sort that out and I figured why not update the look a bit. The work was easy enough, as the grill-portion of the housing just comes off with screws on the back. So I pulled the whole thing out, pulled out the grill and cut the stock vanes out, then bent up the best mesh I could find locally. Turns out that metal gutter screens go for about $3 a section, and one section was plenty. As for the housing, I sanded it down, primed it, and put on about 6 coats of a matte black (no way I was going to color match the weird, custom grey paint).

I also restored the emblem, which was the most tedious part of the whole project. The diamonds are a red lacquer that is soft enough to melt a bit under even a very soft buffing wheel. I ended up smoothing it by hand with some very fine wet-sanding.

Of course it wasn't until I put it back on that I noticed that the passenger-side mounting bracket is pushed back just a touch. No matter as I'll fix that when I build and install air shields for my radiator to keep air from flowing around the sides.

Before:

After:

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts