The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

VR-4 #768

vr4768

Ok, here's what happened. Around a month ago, I leave my house and drive to the end of my street to find one of my neighbors who I've never met just sitting in his truck at the stop sign. I stopped a few feet behind him and patiently waited. I figured he'd eventually see me and take off. Well, after a few minutes of patiently waiting, I see him glance in his left mirror and see me behind him. Next thing that happens is he puts his truck into reverse and steps on it. He backed right into me. We both hop out of our vehicles and I get his insurance information. He apparently thought he put his truck into drive. To make a long story short, I received $2,600 from his insurance company. Of course, they considered my car a total loss after the body shop estimate and I'm gonna have a salvaged title. After I got my settlement, I called the body shop that gave me the estimate for the insurance company and was told they won't fix my car because it's totaled. They referred me to another body shop and told me that they will work on it. I went to that body shop and was told the same thing. Both shops told me they can't work on it because it's totaled and their insurance won't allow them to fix it. Do I have any other options to get my car fixed or is this the end?

Last edited:

transparentdsm

ill buy it from you and makeshift fix it to drive for myself if you want to let it go cheap.... not sure why they wont fix it for ya. if youll pay someone should fix it.

faqinshiet

Well when my Evo was totaled due to seats being stolen the shop said I had to get it out within the next two days because they didn't work on totaled vehicles. I'd say call around and ask local body shops.

marvinmadman

I've never even heard of this happening. Money always gets the job. I grew up fixing totaled vehicles with my dad. Buy from the auction or someone off the street, didn't matter. Good luck.

Jon

Staff member
Tell the insurance company to keep the money so your title stays clean. Then have the guy pay you directly the amount of his deductible. Hopefully he has a high deductible of at least $1000. Then you just have to pay the difference to a body shop for the repair of your car with a clean title.

15psi88

The shops that you've gone to probably don't want to fix it because of its age. It will be hard to source parts. For us enthusiasts on the .org it would be easy. From my prospective at work, I call 3-4 vendors for used parts, 2 or 3 for possible aftermarket. If I can't get it that way, I order new OEM.

That simply wouldn't be possible with a car this old. It doesn't pay to spend additional time scouring the internet for parts.

In short, it's not the gravy we like to deal with.

thomcasey

Take the money. Buy a used hood. Take off the old one and strap the upper core support to a tree and slowly pull it into place, then maybe re-weld it? A salvage title is no biggie really, especially since it is mostly cosmetic damage. My VR4 was totaled out in 2008/9 for the front bumper getting ripped off when they got clipped. My title is now a rebuilt title.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts