The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

936/1000 progress report

Mn92gvr4

Hello everyone. haven't had the time to write one of these up until now. I have owned 936 for about 2 years now. When I bought here she was basically bone stock with a rebuilt bottom end from DSMGraveyard. she has some rust issues that I plan on fixing this spring, (no room in the garage thanks to my brothers TA).
Driveway Queen lol.
Anyway here is how she currently sits.
I would like to see close to 500 horse. I will be switching over to a borg warner s300 turbo soon.
if you see any weak links or have any advice let me know. thanks for looking

Engine- bottom end.
-evo 9 pistons
-dsm graveyard blueprint rods
-evo 9 oil squirters
-stock crank
-cometic mls headgasket

Engine- Head
-mild port on the exhaust side.
-crower 272 cams
-crower single springs w/chromoly retainers
-gsc zero-tick lifters. (they do tick btw)
-BC stainless steal valves
-ferea valve guides and seals
-fidanza cam gears
-hks fine tune belt

Intake
-jmf street intake manifold
-s90 70mm Tb
-ebay intercooler w/short route piping

Exhaust/turbo
-ebay tubular manifold. (its leaving soon)
-stock 16g turbo
-3" DP & exhaust

Fuel/spark
-E85
-FIC 1120 low z injectors
-Fic high flow rail
-255 inline fuel pump
-fuel lab filter
-16g fuel cell
-braided ss lines
-spark tech cop
-ngk br8es

Cooling
-griffin sirocco radiator
-1g upper thermo housing
-si slim fan

Electronics
-odessey pc680
-innovate mtl-x wideband
-glowshift gauges
-boost
-water temp
-oil press
-oil temp
-fuel press
-DSMlink v3

Drivetrain
-act 2900 pressure plate
-act 2900 4puck sprung clutch
-fidanza aluminum flywheel
-trans and difs stock, for now

Last edited:

KiNgMaRtY

I like the placement of your radiator. Seems thick and like it fit well right behind the intercooler

Mn92gvr4

Anybody know if the drivers seat back and the passenger seat back are interchangeable? the only difference I see is the lumbar adjustment.

tektic

Quoting Mn92gvr4:

Engine- bottom end.
-evo 9 pistons and rods

100% sure you don't have evo 9 rods on a stock 6 bolt crank.

Engine bay looks great though! I wanted to install my intercooler in the same spot You made it work much better though.

Mn92gvr4

ok. you caught me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif the po said it was a dsm graveyard with 9 rods and pistons. just checked their website and its only the pistons. my bad.
thanks the install turned out to be rather simple just attached the upper bracket to the bumper mounts and welded some tabs to the radiator support.

thomcasey

Quoting Mn92gvr4:
Anybody know if the drivers seat back and the passenger seat back are interchangeable? the only difference I see is the lumbar adjustment.

The seat backs are shaped differently (Larger bolster on the outside of them), also the gear/teeth for the recliner would be on the wrong side.

Mn92gvr4

Couple of new additions. Got the head redone after a couple of bent valves. Added a jm fab intake and fic fuel rail.

Mn92gvr4

Just got my floor mats. Big thanks to turboflanagan. They look awesome!

Mn92gvr4

ok. I believe I have my winter plans laid out.
1. fix the dsmgraveyard bottom end with new rods. I see a lot of people using pauter x beams or manley turbo tuff rods. also considering carillo I beams. any imput one rods would be a big help.
2. kiggly main girdle.
3. borg warner s300 turbo (still working out what specs I need to fit my needs).
4. top-mount exhaust manifold
5. acr2 spark amp
6. finish shaving the bay and minimizing wires

I am looking for 5-600hp plus. any and all input appreciated

Mn92gvr4

So this week ive been picking away at a project ive been wanting to do for a while now. Custom front strut brace. Its a dc sports bar for a 2g eclipse with custom mounting plates. Turned out quite well.

Mn92gvr4

So i just pulled the pistons and rods. Was planning on just doing rods buuuuut the pistons are pitted as f#ck. So lets replace them to. I am fairly new to the bottom end of the motor. So stock comp ratio is 8.3:1 correct? Im planning on running quite a few booostes, would there be much benifit of switching to an 8.5 or 9.0?

Somehow the cylinders are still mint

jeverts

Raising the compression will always get you more power. How much pressure are you planning on running? Even on 9.0 to 1 you will have no problem running 35 psi on E85.

Mn92gvr4

35 is right around what im looking for. I will be running a borgwarner s300sx 8375, which is capable of 45psi. And if i can reach that i will. Whats the rule of thumb? Higher boost lower c.r?

diambo4life

I like 8.5:1. That is already a touch higher than stock which is 7.8:1. I like the extra margin of error that lower compression gives you. You could throw a bunch of boost and timing to it and still be relatively safe. I would mic your bores for taper and concentricity bro especially with the condition of those slugs. At the bare minimum, a cylinder hone will be required when you fit new slugs in there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts