The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

For the AFCO radiator guys...

diambo4life

So, I got tired running useless low flow slim line fans and I think I have found a good fan that can handle the VR4's cooling requirements and still fit the AFCO radiator. This fan can only be setup as a puller but should leave room for your typical T3 or T4 bottom mounted turbo. It's the SPAL 30102800 11* HO fan.
click

If you shop around, you can find it cheaper. This sits perfectly on the AFCO radiator's core. I suggest fabricating mounts for it. It's beefy as hell, makes my old slimline look like a toy. It's heav(ier) and relatively thick. I already had the fan mounted on the radiator (engine was out) and doing quick math and crossing my fingers, the engine dropped right in and I had maybe 1/2 an inch to spare. Closest distance being of the fan motor to the compressor housing of my PTE turbo. I apologize for the low quality photo from the cell...but you get the idea. The setup is also staggered so I don't have to worry about too much about heat from the header.

Last edited:

WaRrIoRs16

Looks good. For the price though you might as well run the fans made for the radiator. They have shrouding and work extremely well. They didn't fit with my setup with the JMF T3 TS manifold and HX-35, but they are only 2.5" thick compared to the 4.3" thick one your referencing.

Flex-a-lite Scirocco Radiator

Last edited:

transparentdsm

quick question, whats up with your fuel set up, are you running the rail backwards or is the FPR ran between the filter and the rail??

diambo4life

Quoting transparentdsm:
quick question, whats up with your fuel set up, are you running the rail backwards or is the FPR ran between the filter and the rail??

It's backwards. The feed is on the driver side. The car was set up like this when I bought it and didn't find a reason to change it. Works just fine.

WaRrIoRs16, I picked up my Spal fan for $125 shipped. Much cheaper than what the major outlets were selling it for. I was just lucky I guess. It works great. I'm yet to see the tempts go over 178*F according to my analog water tempt gauge. Couldn't be happier. Keep in mind, my car was a chronic overheater especially in stop and go traffic. I was actually looking for that shrouded kit when I came across this fan and I got distracted. It seems to flow the same as the kit so all is good.

Last edited:

transparentdsm

glad to know this fan setup works. i just upgraded to the scirocco rad and i got the mishimoto 12" high flow fan rated at 1850 CFM so if yours works good then i shouldn't have any issues. i really hate those slim line fans...

diambo4life

12" may be a little big. This fan fits exactly the dimensions of the AFCO rad "heightwise" and it is an 11" fan. (See my photo below) This fan pulls 14-16A. I had to fix a short over the weekend and in the process, rewired the fan and measured the current draw. I also installed another thermoswitch since the previous one was making the fan run all the time. I can now say that coolant tempts stay right between 170-180* with normal operation according to my analog water tempt gauge. With the fan running all the time, it was running almost 10* cooler especially in the sub 50-60*F weather. Very happy with this mod.

Last edited:

diambo4life

Update! FYI, this has been working great! Tempts are right at 190-200*F even after beating on it. Keep in mind this is a car that always had tempts in the 210-230*F area. I can make multiple 40psi+ pulls and the mechanical water tempt gauge needle not move at all! This fan is the ish! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

transparentdsm

i can concur, i am also using this fan and while driving and beating on it i stay at 190-200, i do still however reach 220 when i let the car sit at idle for a few minutes after some hard pulls.

diambo4life

This has been working great still. A few times I have been stuck on I135 S traffic to Dallas on a Friday evening while driving to the track, in 90deg+ temperatures, stop and go traffic /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif and it works as a champ. No more than 203deg! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned