The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Koni GC vs. Coilover

tektic

Hey guys, I really need my suspension finished. Currently I have a piece meal set up and its lowered but shocks can't take the Ground control springs. The front struts bottoms out over even little bumps. If I upgrade the front struts to a pair of Koni is that going to be enough to change my mind about this setup? Or Should I just buy coilovers so I don't have to deal with finding part and building a system. Ive seen kingMarty write that his gc/koni setup was better than his evo with bilsteins. I've seen other knock the ride of coilovers. I'm torn. It's a weekend warrior that I would like to eventual autocross. Both setups should be capable of that.

Koni front struts = $300 vs. Feal Coil = $1300
*Will probably need pillowball mounts for the koni too so maybe 600 on that side of the comparison.

tektic

This is all good info. I just read it again and have before. I know the bilstien are better shocks but they don't fit any of the hardware I have. Mono tubes do not fit in kyb strut bodies like the koni. I can't build everything and then buy all new springs and collars. The shafts are different sizes too.

These are my only two options right now.

EMX5636

I haven't found a front strut that offers a decent amount of travel when lowered more than 1.25-1.5". They all bottom quickly in a 1G/GVR4. That right there, was the reason for me going to an adjustable body height coilover (Tein base models don't either). I have tried numerous brand struts, springs, GC coil kits etc in my old 1G. At close to stock height, they perform well, but once lowered, only offer an inch or two of travel before bottoming out. Rears can use 2G Struts, that are a bit shorter.

I even went as far as looking into relocating the lower mounting ears an inch or two, but that would leave very little room for axle clearance. Only other option I found was going with an insert, and just looking for the shortest one I could find, and cut down the factory strut body to match. Sorry I don't have any examples anymore, it was years ago I did all this. Went to K-Sport, and now FEAL, and never looked back.

KiNgMaRtY

My Koni / H&R spring combo was the most comfortable suspension setup I've had. My plan was to keep them and make a coilover kit with them but then I ended up buying the KW's from a buddy. I sold them to a friend that is now using them on his 1g with Ground Controls and loves them for canyon trips and occasional autocross.
If you are not planning on slamming the car, I believe for the cost, it would be well worth it to get the Koni's since you already have the GC's. If you plan on getting spring rates past 500lbs, then just get the Feals unless you want to spend the extra amount to get the Konis revalved.
Should you not have already had the GC's, I would say get the Feals for sure.

Pillow ball mounts aren't a necessity if you can get your camber to where you want it to be with the camber bolts. It would be much more worthwhile to get matching rear Konis before getting the pillowball mounts.

Last edited:

tektic

Did the feel coilovers come with dyno charts? Adjustable strut body does seem like what my lowered rig is missing.

KiNgMaRtY

They posted them on the Miata forums but I have yet to see them on any of the Galant or DSM forums.
I was actually at the Feal shop on Friday having them help me out with an issue I am having.(not their coilovers)
They not only make coilover setups, but they rebuild most shocks/struts in house from other leading brands.

ApexHunter

Quoting tektic:
Did the feel coilovers come with dyno charts? Adjustable strut body does seem like what my lowered rig is missing.

I was looking for those, but they are trying to keep their valving proprietary, as they are worried about it being "borrowed" without permission.

I'd 2nd Marty's advice here, especially since you already have the GCs. So long as you aren't looking for a big drop. These suspensions work best when you don't lower them so much, so not having the ability to slam the car is not really a bad thing. The Feals offer more features and the shocks are awesome, but Konis are good and if you already have the GCs, well, that can be a good setup there.

My only reservation with the Konis is the 2G rear shocks. Koni Sports are generally shorter than OE from the get-go. And if i'm not mistaken, GVR4s use a longer rear shock than a 2G (OE vs OE)? If that's the case, you'd end up with disproportionately shorter rear shocks, and having to compromise front shock stroke to get a decent front to rear rake. This is speculation, but i've always wondered about this.

EMX5636

No you are right Dave, I was stuck in 1G DSM AWD land. I would do some measurements to be sure before ordering 2G rear struts for a GVR4 and compare all three.

pagosadsm

I used Bilstien HD 3000gt strut inserts and shocks. The rear shocks are the same length as the Galant. I built my own housing for the struts, but if you can find old struts cut them from the instructions from Bilstien. they will work on a gallant. I had a little trouble with the mounting of Ground Control camber plates, but it can be done
Rick

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts