The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Tire size/fitment

wildman38

Alright so, brand new to the forum, picking up a 92 hopefully this week. Problem is the tires on it are too big and run with its set up. Tires are 255-40-17. Now the wheels are 17x10 +25. I want to keep the wheels just want to see if anyone on here would have a suggestion of what size tire to run. The suspension is as high as it goes so please don't tell me to raise the car lol I provided a photo to show what I mean and what I'm working with.

prove_it

245 is the most narrow you could go. You'll be stretching the tire some at that width. Not much to do with the 10 in wide rims.

We all know that car, by the way. Welcome to the org.

prove_it

I would as long as you know what your buying and realize it's not a new car and will have issues here and there.

wildman38

Oh I know. I owned a 95 Talon that I took from a crappy stock car to a 434hp car. I know what I'm getting into as far as "dsm" issues. Just trying to figure out if a gvr4 is worth buying ya know?

prove_it

The GVR4 was a pure mitsu built car. The dsm's got their drivetrain from the galant. We have 4g63 related issues, but none of the body/wiring issues dsms have. All in all the Vr4 was a much better built car.

The gvr4 was once an ideal sleeper, however they seem to be more and more recognized amongst import fans. Domestic heads will still think it's some camry or bmw that can't go fast. Lots of fun picking on mustangs, cameros, and the sorts. I love having the extra room for extra people/groceries and can daily drive it and blend in.

Lot of the members on here have 1-2 vr4s in their driveway, lots of old timers that have many years of VR4 possession. It's a great car to own. As for this car, I think he had a build thread on it, so if you poke around or search the badge, you'll find more details of all the work.

4Grim

I ran 245/40/17 Dunlops on Evo 8 Enkies on my GVR4 and the sit pretty flush. The rears did rub a little on the fender and rear dog legs on hard acceleration and heavy cornering but would be much less with a better suspension setup like quality 1 piece coilovers.

I am on the fence on switching wheels but currently running 17x9.5 BBS RX +20 offset and if I decide to keep them,I will be installing my 245/40/17 Dunlops on them. I am pretty sure I will rub more due to the offset of the BBS wheels +20 compared to +38 on the Evo enkies but will raise the car slightly, have a little negative camber and better suspension which should decrease the likelyhood of rubbing issues that I was having.

img.php

Evo 8 Enkies with 245/40/17 Dunlop Direzzas

Last edited:

turbowop

It's crazy to me that a car with flares like that is only capable of running a 245 without rubbing issues. For a long time I ran a 245/40 with stock fenders and didn't rub. Now I run a 235/40 as I like the look of the shorter sidewall better. I would like to see that car with something really wide to make the flares worthwhile.

belize1334

I suspect that the wheel offset is the limiting factor here.

KiNgMaRtY

If it is just barely rubbing, then a 245/40/17 tire may do the trick. You may also be able to some sort of spacer, or torrinton bearing, or even add helper springs if you still needed to go higher. Just could also buy taller springs. Don't go lower than a 245/40/17 for those wheels.

Also, Evo OEM wheels are +38 offset and not +35.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts