The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Where to buy stock engine internals?

jepherz

Staff member
I'm rebuilding the block from my car as it had a bad headgasket and sat too long with moisture inside. I'm shooting for a stock rebuild and have read good things about NPR brand pistons. However, all of the references I find to 4g63 pistons from NPR are several years old and just mention Ebay as a purchase location. From what I've found, none of the ebay sellers are actually selling NPR branded pistons for our cars, so anyone have a clue where I can buy them?

I may need some replacement rods too, but I'd assume I will just have to find used ones from the board.

Also, looking for opinions on what bearings to buy (brand, type) and where to get them as this is my first rebuild.

prove_it

Do you have a way to adjust your timing? If so I'd swap in some Evo pistons for 8.3:1 compression, or 2g pistons for 8.5:1.

Even on a stock car, it's a noticeable difference. Plus they can be had fairly cheap.

Otherwise check with JNZ, extreme PSI, or Maperformance to see if they can source the NPRs.

faqinshiet

Yeah I was looking for the same! Was thinking about going through bogusSVO again. I bought a set of .020 over last year but f'd up two of the cylinders and will have to go .040 over now. I can't find anywhere that sells 1g NPR Pistons they only selling 2g. But saw this in a thread on tuners that bogusSVO posted. Not sure if it helps.

Hummm My opinion on NPR pistons...... Well, To start... NPR provided the pistons to mitsubishi. Along with a slew of other Asian auto manufactures. BTW NPR also makes the pistons for the Ford 4.6 and 5.4.

So I feel it is safe to say, that yes they are as good as the OE pistons.

TopLine is a "reboxer" they buy parts from others and put them in there box.

EngineTech Is a reboxer also, But I do Know that the EngineTech pistons are NPR same for the rings.

EngineTech bearings are King Bearings.

GSTwithPSI

There is some good info in this thread: click

The DNJ and Enginetech from Rockauto seem to have worked for others. For a stock build, I think either would work just fine with a properly machined block and crank.

I wouldn't use 2G or Evo pistons since you'll need to get your 1G rods machined to accept the wrist pin. By the time you pay a machine shop to machine the rods and press in the pins, you'd be in the neighborhood of a nice set of aftermarket rods. But, if you do want to use 2G/Evo pistons, I have a used set of 4 already bored for a 22mm wrist pin that came out of a running motor. I also have a spare 6 bolt rod in case one of those is sh*t (scroll about half way down --> click ). PM me if you want the set.

GTX

I have got some NPR stuff from Mizumo Auto (located in CA). They sell on Amazon and e-bay. One of the rings was outside of the measurements they have sent the replacement right away. No complains at all.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned