The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

how much por15 do I need for my car

Kibby

Sorry I havent been doing much. More so sitting and reading posts. Weather, motivation, and personal issues prolonged this.

Ill be doing the entire underbody, sanded down, minor body work, por15, and recoated with underbody spray. Both front inner fender areas as well as side skirts and anything else I come across. Thanks.

MellowVR4

A pint goes along way.

GSTwithPSI

I used a little over a pint on the front clip of my car when I sealed it. You'll need a quart or better to do the entire undercarriage and wheel wells. It really just depends how you're going to apply it. If you spray it on, it will go a lot further than brushing it on.

Kibby

I dont plan to keep it forever. But im not going to screw the next owner over like the prev did to me. Money isnt really an issue and I could use it on more than one vehicle. Guess ill get a quart. Thanks guys. Ill try not to disappoint. Ill be working on it more now that im not working 60 hours a week.

G

Staff member
I would just dip the whole thing in por.

GSTwithPSI

I'm not sure what your plans are for the undercoating job, but if you plan to topcoat the sealer, I'd go with rust bullet rather than POR-15. Rust Bullet makes a really durable topcoat that's designed specifically to work with the sealer. It's also black rather than that grey color, in case that matters. Just a suggestion.

prove_it

How much is needed when doing this? If you leave a lil rust under the POR15 will it continue to rust, or is it inhibited?

badams

I was told by the owner of the paint store that POR 15 is designed to be put directly on the rust to create a chemical reaction to seal it from future rusting. The POR 15 I bought did come in black too.

GSTwithPSI

The more rust you can remove, the better. Ideally, you'd want to apply a corrosion inhibitor before the metal starts to rust, thus, removing all rust to expose a bare metal surface is always optimal. You need to knock off the loose flakes and minimum, and make sure the surface is as clean as possible. Most importantly, the surface should be dry. Both POR-15 and Rust Bullet are designed to react with rust and neutralize it, so either can absolutely be applied directly over rust if need be.

If you have time, Ryan, check out this site. It's pretty crazy how advanced some of these coatings are. There's a ton of technical data there as well: click

Last edited:

SmoothCustomer

If I recall, it "adheres" better to rust, but if you use their metal etching solution it should be fine. I took my entire engine bay down to bare metal and followed prep to a tee and there was rust starting the spring after I did it (in the fall). There hadn't even been rust in that location before.

Coltsfan

I was not the least bit impressed by POR15. It doesn't stop rust, nothing does; but if you spray it on bare metal it doesn't stick incredibly well.

cheekychimp

Did you follow the recommended preparation procedures? I don't think that POR-15 gives the best finish for a show car but I used the recommended marine clean plus the etching agent and I had no issues with cohesion or rust inhibition. If you already have rust present then it needs to be dealt with before applying the POR-15.

Last edited:

presterone

I've had pretty good results with minor prep work on my Subaru but I used "rust cap" on the galant and its barely held up through two winters its close to being a parts car if I don't take care of it.

Coltsfan

No I didn't follow the surface prep. I thought it said to brush off the loose rust, and brush por15 on, but I couldn't resist knocking the rust down with a die grinder and a cookie. The result was a polished surface that allowed me to peel the paint off my roof with a razor blade a couple years later. The second time around I media blasted the rust spots and painted the roof with self etch primer and traditional 2 stage urethane.

I would only use Por 15 again on something like floorboards, and only after a decent prep, because it doesn't stick better than your average paint. It's only upside to por15 that I see is excellent durability. Like an epoxy roll bar paint or like rustoleum by the gallon (which also kicks ass by the way).

tektic

There a few steps to using por15. Look them up!

Quick run down: remove any oil. remove anything that will flake off. Use metal read prep and keep wet for 30 min. Rinse thoroughly. Dry thoroughly. Apply por15. Apply por15. Apply top coat.

I've used it on quite a few different things and only one has rusted minimally since I applied it. I'm pretty sure I should have used the wire brush to remove more rust scales on my front bumper support.

If you didn't top coat while tacky wait until the sun chalks the surface. brush with wire brush and then apply top coat at a later date.

If you buy a pint do not open the cans lid. Instead screw two self tapping screws into the bottom of the can. Before use gently warm and roll continuity for 5+ minuets. Turn can over and remove both screws when your ready to pour for application. Quickly replace screws.

Most of these instructions were relayed to me from my fire Captain. He has owned over 300 cars in his life time. I have used his advice and have modified his and the manufactures instructions until I found what worked best for me. That is what is expressed above. I am happy with their product, however further steps need to be performed to achieve a smooth finished top coat, Yet rust inhibition may be achieved with less.

Kibby

Well the work is going 5o be under the body.and in the fender wells. Plus in a function over fashion kind of guy. Paint the galant pink. If it runs 10s its a pink galant that runs 10s lol.

tektic

I kinda want to paint mine Canary Yellow /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
cheap_gti_galant_96635405321727476.jpg

or better yet Martinique Yellow Pearl
images

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts