The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

G, can you get this part? Steering column rubber isolation boot

Wookalar

G, do you have one of these you might want to sell, or can you get one? The rubber boot with the tear in it. Or if anyone else can get it, I'll buy one from you. The dealer is telling me it is obsolete. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Thanks!

Wookalar

Yeah I suppose I can look around for one from a 1g. Gotta love auto manufactures that no longer make parts for their cars.

G

Staff member
What's the part # ?

ghostinthevr4

Quoting Wookalar:
Yeah I suppose I can look around for one from a 1g. Gotta love auto manufactures that no longer make parts for their cars.

What's the purpose of this comment, not sure what your implying?

Last edited:

Wookalar

Yeah pretty much. I have two 92 vehicles that I have been restoring over the last couple years and it can be frustrating when parts are NLA, nor available aftermarket.

I see some people cut the steering column grommet so they can run wires through for gauges or stereo stuff but I would advise against cutting that grommet if you haven't already. If you cut it and change your mind you need to remove the column in order to replace the grommet and that is only if you find a replacement from a part out.

Wookalar

Quoting G:
What's the part # ?

I'm not sure at the moment, I will look in the manual tomorrow.

Thanks for the responses, much appreciated.

G

Staff member
That part number is not available from jp.

Wookalar

G

Staff member
Those websites list everything as being available but when you place the order they can't fill it.

Wookalar

I figured that, parts guy who I have gone through for years said it was "obsolete". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Whatev, it's not that big a deal, the column is already back in anyways. I will probably put some rtv over it for now until I can source one from a 1g.

Thanks for the help to all who responded.

turbowop

Wouldn't it be the same as any other 6g galant as well? I imagine one could be found in a junkyard that's not molested. Not a lot of people were running wires for gauges and stuff on base model cars. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

coyotes

why would you run wires through that when there is a grommet right next to it designed for wires to be run through?

Wookalar

Quoting coyotes:
why would you run wires through that when there is a grommet right next to it designed for wires to be run through?

There were no wires running through that grommet but in my search for a new part I saw some random threads where people were running wires through there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif I'm not sure how the boot got torn to begin with, I found it like that, and I'm well aware of the holes specifically for wires.

pot

Staff member
Back in the day i.e. 10 + yrs ago, whether on vfaq or tuners there was a writeup for installing the boost gauge vacuum tube through that boot. I am guilty of it as well.

89Mirageman

There are 4 base model 6g galants at one of the local junkyards. I can look the next time I go.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned