The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

The 30R that could

4thStroke

The result wasn't exactly what I was looking for, but it still did pretty well. Long story short, 571awhp, 495wtq, 40psi around 4,400RPM, peak torque around 5,600RPM.

FP says the HTA compressor is good for 40psi, so since I spent the time and money to get the car to where it would support that kind of power and fuel consumption, I wanted to see what the turbo would do.

The turbo is the DSM76, which is the HTA/billet version of the beloved 3052.

5 years ago, the car made 557awhpand 445ftlbs at 34psi. Since then, the only thing that has changed is I added a recirculated catch can, redid my intercooler piping, changed to high impedance fuel injectors, and put a ton of miles on the car with a couple near complete loss dissasters.

The turbo spooled just a hair later than before but made produced a better torque/power curve, but the power fell off on top more this time around. Like it did 5 years ago, it dropped to 29psi or so out past 8,000RPM.

Also, the highest HP pull came from what I though was an overly rich AFR at 11.5:1. I leaned it out to around 12:1 and power dropped a little. The car is on E98.

What's most impressive to me is the torque curve. It made 495ftlbs at 5,600RPM. 40psi came on around 4,400RPM.

This is a basic Eagle/Mahle 9:1 motor with a small plenum JMF intake manifold, FP turbo manifold, and ETS 4" intercooler, and ported head. The motor now has around 45k miles on it where the pulls I made 5 years ago had around 5k miles on it. I feel that the age, wear, and tear on the motor play a role in the lower than expected numbers for an added 6psi (or, the turbo was near maxed out 5 years ago at 34psi, which isn't exactly unbelievable), but 571awhp is pretty decent for a bolt on 30R in my opinion.

Yesterday's dyno time also marked 6 years since I bought my Galant.

I have to thank Lucas and Aaron at English Racing for the dyno time and the help they've provided for the last 6 years.

Last edited:

BENE38A

nice one mate, you going to stick with the bolt on for a while or do it all again with something bigger?

turbohf

nice. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

EMX5636

Nice numbers! I'm hoping for something /similar with the wick turned up on my PTE 5857. I'm only on 93/meth though so it's an uphill battle vs you guys and your corn fuel. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ApexHunter

Nice one! Yeah that torque curve is meaty. I bet it's fun. Shift sector this weekend?

Gizmovr4

Good numbers !! Now let's see how it does on the track /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif !! Just as a comparison my gray car has a simular setup - 9:1 Ross Pistons - eagle rods - 272/264 cams . The car has an old school fp3052 turbo running on e85 . Made 556whp / 499 torque at 30psi .
These little turbos can put down some power!!! In my opinion 30r turbos are awesome for everyday street fun- weekend warrior cars !!

ghostinthevr4

Quoting 4thStroke:
The result wasn't exactly what I was looking for, but it still did pretty well. Long story short, 571awhp, 495wtq, 40psi around 4,400RPM, peak torque around 5,600RPM.

FP says the HTA compressor is good for 40psi, so since I spent the time and money to get the car to where it would support that kind of power and fuel consumption, I wanted to see what the turbo would do.

The turbo is the DSM76, which is the HTA/billet version of the beloved 3052.

5 years ago, the car made 557awhpand 445ftlbs at 34psi. Since then, the only thing that has changed is I added a recirculated catch can, redid my intercooler piping, changed to high impedance fuel injectors, and put a ton of miles on the car with a couple near complete loss dissasters.

The turbo spooled just a hair later than before but made produced a better torque/power curve, but the power fell off on top more this time around. Like it did 5 years ago, it dropped to 29psi or so out past 8,000RPM.

Also, the highest HP pull came from what I though was an overly rich AFR at 11.5:1. I leaned it out to around 12:1 and power dropped a little. The car is on E98.

What's most impressive to me is the torque curve. It made 495ftlbs at 5,600RPM. 40psi came on around 4,400RPM.

This is a basic Eagle/Mahle 9:1 motor with a small plenum JMF intake manifold, FP turbo manifold, and ETS 4" intercooler, and ported head. The motor now has around 45k miles on it where the pulls I made 5 years ago had around 5k miles on it. I feel that the age, wear, and tear on the motor play a role in the lower than expected numbers for an added 6psi (or, the turbo was near maxed out 5 years ago at 34psi, which isn't exactly unbelievable), but 571awhp is pretty decent for a bolt on 30R in my opinion.

Yesterday's dyno time also marked 6 years since I bought my Galant.

I have to thank Lucas and Aaron at English Racing for the dyno time and the help they've provided for the last 6 years.

Great numbers for a 3076 HTA I wonder if you could break 600 awhp with a .82 turbine housing. That turbo has to be fun on the streets if you ever go v band I have a Tial .82 ar housing for sale it might get you over 600, it'll be interesting to see.

I'm also curious what an HTA 3082 would do on your setup you'll probably lose some midrange power but you'll gain for top end. Very nice setup you have thanks for posting your results.

362Ryan

4thstroke if you really wanted, I would be happy to trade you my 3065 and a few $$ for your DSM76.

4thStroke

These runs were made with the tune I put together off the street. Based on how the motor responded to 1* of timing at 5,000RPM, I could probably get a better curve out of it.

I really do feel like the bolt on housing is choking it up top and a vband or T3 housing would make the 600hp.

556hp and 499tq from the 3052 at 30psi doesn't make me feel quite as good about my results.

I have a feeling that the half mile shift sector roll race would kill the car. I've already pushed my luck and want to keep the car together for the winter. I would be a very small fish in a big pond down in Coalinga. I'm thinking about going since the ETS GTR will be down there with its new forward facing big turbo setup, I believe its going on the rollers today.

I appreciate the offers, but I'm not all that confident a 3082 or 3065 would get me as far as I want. From what I've seen, the 3076 provides a better curve, although I would probably make that 600awhp I was chasing.

The tranny in the car is horrible, so it'd only be good for a trap speed. 1/4 mile racing is done for the year around here as well. If I get my hands on a good tranny I'll take it to the track. Last time I had it out at the races, gear changes were in the .8s range. The car ran 146mph to 1600' from a 40mph roll at that race... and surprised a lot of people.

ghostinthevr4

What are your goals if your just trying to reach 600 it "may" be possible with a housing and manifold change? If you want to autocross or track the car you have the perfect turbo for it.

If you want to pursue low quarter mile times you will probably have to step up to a bigger turbo. It all depends on what your goals are or you could just drive it as is and be content your making some good power. The number comparison from your setup and gizmos setup does leave some unanswered questions though. The housing and manifold seem like there working against you considering the boost level your at.

There was a thread on Link forums about when a 3065 stop making more power in its bolt on housing, I believe the number was around 34psi or so. Keep in mind it has a bigger compressor wheel than yours. Maybe you're also on a conservative tune.

Just my 0.02 cents.

Wookalar

Thread title could also be named, the 4g63 that could. I'm impressed that you have 45K miles on an engine that sees that much boost.

How do you find your shift time? Link readings?

turbowop

It's not the amount of boost that will kill an engine, it's an improper tune that causes detonation or parts that can't handle the power level. So long as the pistons and rods can handle the power, the amount of boost used doesn't matter.

My stock pistons and rods have been dealing with 30psi and north of 400whp for a decade and that started at 100k with a hair over 140k now, plus three tuning bobbles that caused melted plugs, and it's still going strong. These engines can take a beating.

Great numbers, Spencer! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

Wookalar

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

JNR

Maybe you amuse him...like a clown /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jesus_Negros

Ghost and i was just talking about these turbos last night.

Gizmovr4

I think your car makes great power. Nearly 600whp is awesome for a street car ! ! For the street these turbos are fast spooling responsive and fun !!Nate had my fp3052 on his 1g and went 10.7x with it in the 1/4 mile .... 431/1000 at full weight went 11.3@123 back in 2011and 584/1000 went 11.60@125 with a crappy launch. I think 584 if we put the effort in could go 10.9x on this turbo.

As for 30psi vs 40psi - we didn't push the turbo past 30psi because we felt the turbo was likely not going to make much more power - judging by how the power was starting to drop off after 7k rpm .

I'm sure your car is a blast to drive !! Hp numbers aren't everything - it's the entire package !! How many cars do we see making 1000k hp and yet don't perform to there potential!

You should be extremely proud especially since this motor has 45k miles and still lays down near 600awhp /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

ApexHunter

Quoting 4thStroke:
I have a feeling that the half mile shift sector roll race would kill the car. I've already pushed my luck and want to keep the car together for the winter. I would be a very small fish in a big pond down in Coalinga. I'm thinking about going since the ETS GTR will be down there with its new forward facing big turbo setup, I believe its going on the rollers today.

Big pond indeed, but still would be great to see a fairly powerful gvr4 out there such as yours. Cool to hear about the ETS GTR. I'm pretty excited, got a few cars i'm looking forward to seeing and i've been wanting to check out one of these events for a while.

4thStroke

I just caught a glimpse of what the ETS GTR did on the dyno earlier this evening. The number is almost unbelievable.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts