The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

3KGT Brake Question

VR4Scott

Does anybody make a bracket to put a 3000gt rear caliper on a GVR4?

15psi88

I'm guessing there isn't a lot of market for it since the 3kgt caliper has no provision for an emergency brake. I'm in for discussion though.

prove_it

There are too many threads already explaining and discussing this very topic.

Search

Wizardawd

Quoting 15psi88:
I'm guessing there isn't a lot of market for it since the 3kgt caliper has no provision for an emergency brake. I'm in for discussion though.

Between frozen cables and calipers that are damaged due to improper pad service, I haven't had a working e-brake on my DSMs or GVR4 in years. Of course living in a state where you can see 3 hours away (aka flat) probably helps with not needing to use it.

That, and i'm too cheap to buy replacement parts to fix something I have just gotten used to not using.

Wiz

prove_it

Maybe you just don't know what your doing...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

VR4Scott

Quoting prove_it:
There are too many threads already explaining and discussing this very topic.

Search

Please point me to a single thread on the entire internet that discusses a bracket to put a 3kgt REAR caliper on a gvr4 or 1g dsm.

As for the emergency brake I am going to custom fit a hydraulic cylinder.

prove_it

VR4Scott

Thanks, but neither of those does anything for me.

prove_it

What exactly are you looking for then?

VR4Scott

I didn't want to use the trailing arms since mine are powder coated already, just wanted a bolt on bracket. Guess I'll go the trailing arm route.

prove_it

I can't remember the name but a member here made brackets and had a thread on it. The info is out there, I just don't have the time to dig (at work 16hr day). Currently to my knowledge no one is making and selling brackets. I know it's possible.

cheekychimp

Scott when you said custom fit a hydraulic cylinder, do you mean so that you can continue to use the 3KGT caliper brake as your hand brake as well? That's cool, but I thought the whole point of an "emergency" brake was that it runs off a secondary system in case your primary system fails?

Wouldn't it be better to fabricate your own bracket for the 3KGT rear caliper in a secondary location (like the EVO/Brembo setup linked to above) and just use the OEM caliper for the handbrake?

If not then the 3KGT rear trailing arms and hubs does make the cleanest setup but it is a lot of work just to make a rear caliper fit. I had to do it to pass inspection after they banned the use of caliper brackets over here and made it mandatory to bolt the calipers directly to OEM fixing points. If they hadn't done that I doubt I would have bothered to be honest.

Last edited:

Tommyd

My question is can you install a line lock system into the brake line and use that as a parking brake. I know a few of my 4x4 friends that do axle swaps go that route. Most do a manual valve controlled line lock, though one has a low voltage solenoid that barely uses any power. As long as the brakes arent leaking it works fine. I know DOT doesnt like but it is a parking brake /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif. The primary point of the handbrake was for parking and hill starts if you get all technical and stuff.

GSTwithPSI

As was already mentioned, the reason people don't do this swap is because of the lack of a parking brake mechanism. You could use a hydraulic line lock, but again, as already mentioned, the parking brake is supposed to be a completely separate secondary braking system. A line lock still utilizes the same lines as the service brake, so there's no redundancy in the system. Hydraulic line locks aren't meant to be a primary emergency brake system. Even the manual line lock systems on the market advise them to be used as supplementary systems, which are almost always coupled with a primary mechanical emergency brake system.

My real question is; why go through the trouble? There are no real gains to be made by swapping in a 3KGT rear brake caliper. I mean, I could see if it were a front brake caliper, or if was some badass race spec rear caliper...but upgrading a factory rear caliper with a somewhat better factory rear caliper seems pointless to me. I'm not trying to ruin your plans or talk sh*t, I'm just legitimately curious as to why someone would go through all the trouble to do this.

Last edited:

VR4Scott

I bought the car from Miami that was posted here a couple months. The post made it sound like a screaming deal with rebuilt everything and JDM bumpers, etc. I got the car home, to realize how much stuff was missing and how trashed the interior was. There were no brakes at all on the car and I found a good deal on a full set of the 3kgt brakes. So now I just want to put them on, since I paid to have them powdercoated and rebuilt them with all new Genuine Mitsu parts. I live in Florida, so I don't have any hills to be worried about. I have a race car already (2g GSX), a 4G63 swapped MM, and I just picked up a bone stock GVR4. This car is going to be something in the middle with looks being the main appeal to me. So, these brakes I guess are just for personal satisfaction and using the money I already spent. Besides, I don't have it in me to put these on the front and not on the back.

As far as the hydraulic cylinder cheekychimp, I came up with 3 ways to do it which are all about the same.

1. Custom fit dual cylinders inline with rear brake lines, under armrest where OEM handle motion actuates them.
2. Custom fit pull type master cylinders on rear subframe where cable actuates them, also run inline with stock brake lines.
click
3. Same as 2, but with remote reservoirs, and adding some type of check valve to stock brake line. (this would create a secondary system)

cheekychimp

Scott,

I actually bought a GVR4 rally handbrake assembly off Teeter a few years back. It was modified exactly as you describe above (i.e. designed to fit in the stock location but to push on a hydraulic cyclinder as it was pulled up). I couldn't use it because it was for a LHD car and although I thought about modifying it I ended up doing the 3KGT rear end swap instead. I think I might even still have it somewhere.

Paul.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts