The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Welder advice

joemoto

I’m looking for opinions on a welder to do exhaust, intercooler, etc for the car and projects around the house.
So far I’m thinking a 140 amp unit will do the job and is also normal household 120 volt.
The ones being considered are:
1. Hobart 140C MIG $525 (not spool ready)
click

2. Miller 140 MIG $700 ish (spool ready, optional @$230)
click

3. Tweco 140i fabricator STICK, MIG, TIG (spool ready optional $130, foot pedal capable optional)
click
Info about Tweco welders/ use to be Thermal Arc click

I am new to welding so any insight will be appreciated.
-Joe

Last edited:

MellowVR4

Well imo, If your planning on welding IC piping I would say get the tweco so you can tig aswell. I've never heard of the brand, but I haven't heard of many of the brands that are out in the market to be honest. Mig would be cool on welding exhaust and intercooler (mild steel or SS), Aluminum would get tricky with a mig especially trying to weld round parts.

mitsuturbo

MellowVR4

I can run 115/or 220 on my everlast 200dx power tig dual voltage and it welds aluminum just fine to a certain point on 115. You can even weld 1/4 with only 120 apms if you use a argon and helium mix. Plus Aluminum piping, especially IC piping isn't too thick anyway, 16gauge I think most of it is.

EMX5636

I can second the aluminum piping on 110v. I regularly use my Eastwood TIG on the low voltage input and can weld up to 1/8" thick easily. In fact, I have more issues tripping the breaker than not being able to get enough penetration.

I have used an aluminum spool gun at my work a bunch, and IMHO, for "pretty" welds, it's no comparison to TIG. Sure it will hold the pieces together, but I've rarely had a consistent, dime-like stack.

Although you won't be welding Aluminum with the Tweco welder either as it's DC only. It also doesn't look like it's footpedal ready, which is VERY nice to have when doing aluminum, esp thinner stuff.

Last edited:

EMX5636

This is the Eastwood I have. If you are short on cash, I'll keep an eye out. They are local, and post open-box and scratch/dent sales fairly often and that's how I got mine.

click

I think it will do everything you want as long as you are ok with TIG welding everything. You could always pick up a cheap MIG from Craigslist or Harbor Freight.

89Mirageman

Personally, I'd go with a MIG setup if you're new to welding. You can always make IC pipes from aluminized steel mandrel bends too, that's what I do. I have a HH187 and love it, I'm sure the 140 is a great welder too. I'd go with the Hobart if it were me.

dsmless

2nd on that Eastwood 200 TIG, best deal outhere. Just a tip if you go out there and do Tig welding for everything:
1) get a stubby gas lens kit
2) get the biggest tank of argon you can afford as you will go thru it fast
3) get a good quality welding helmet/gloves

Maybe the most important, become best friends with your electric company

Great reads click

joemoto

Thank you all for responding, the advice and information; I have been doing a lot of reading and as a result many assumptions about welding and the equipment.

I had thought that I would be able to TIG with the Tweco 141i however, I now know that an AC welder is needed such as the Eastwood model that was mentioned.

I decided to focus on the easiest form of welding, that being MIG. I am going to get a Lincoln 140C . I didn't even list the Lincoln because of some reviews I read about wire feed issues. I didn't know that Lincoln has a few "140" models, such as "140C" "Weld Pak 140", "140 HD", "140T", and possibly more.

The Lincoln 140C costs about $100 dollars more than the Hobart but the Hobart is not SpoolGun ready and I don't plan on running aluminum through the MIG gun.

I'm planning to take a welding class at the local college in January, it serves as an introduction to MIG, TIG, and Stick theory and hands on. After I likely will look into a TIG or TIG Stick unit.

-Joe

Last edited:

EMX5636

I have a god awful amount of wire through my Lincoln Weld-Pak HD (now the 140 series IIRC) and haven't had any feed issues. Owned it for about 10 years. It's a good dependable welder for sure.

joemoto

I know that Lincoln is a very good product, that is why I'm getting one.
There were only a few people that had an issue and hundreds more loved it.
It came down to the Hobart 140 or the Lincoln and the Lincoln is spoolgun ready.

89Mirageman

Good choice man, after you get the hang of things you'll wonder how you made it this far without having a welder around. They really are that useful and not on just car stuff. The people that did give it bad reviews probably weren't doing something right or didn't read the directions.

joemoto

Very likely that is the case. This also has continuously variable power,which I may be able to take advantage of in the future.

Last edited:

idreamidrive

I know this is an "old" thread, but didn't want to make a new thread.

I do not want to cheap out on a TIG welder, but then again I do not want to buy something new. Is this a decent deal or should I stay away. I wish it would come with a bottle: click

MellowVR4

Not a bad price for the setup, could be talked down a little bit I assume.

With the cooler it makes it worth it!

Last edited:

dsmless

Great deal man, I would give him the asking price if he could throw in a 330'f tank of argon/regulator as I dont see one there. Also test it first, make sure it will weld what you want it for. And maybe see if theres a helmet in the deal

Not to thread jack but I have that much into my whole fab/welding shop setup.....just food for thought. PM me, I can give you no b/s advice about actual costs vs wants

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts