The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

WASTEGATES

chop91vr4

So since my big 16g td05 has a internal wastegate can I get a bracket to hold it clossed then install a external wastegate instead? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

brisvr4

Oh god!
Why??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

strokin4dr

So he can run lower than stock boost level, of course.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

tektic

I have tried to eliminate boost creep with my set up and it seems impossible. If this is what your trying to do than my suggestion would be try to get external o2 dump tube in hopes of reliving pressure faster. At least that was what I was considering trying next. For now I'm just going to put an mbc on and tune the car in at around 22lbs and be happy with it.

strokin4dr

Using a 16g at any boost level less than that seems like a waste.
Is boost creep the reason you want to rig up the wastegate?
What is it creeping to?

prove_it

Get rid of your overkill 3" exhaust. Problem solved. If your running less than 20lbs on a 16G a 2.5" is all you need. More than you need actually.

GVR4kauai

Why not upgrade to a holset acuator? Worked amazing on my small 16g, would hold solid boost all the way till redline 18-20psi!

Last edited:

manikbastrd

Quoting chop91vr4:
So since my big 16g td05 has a internal wastegate can I get a bracket to hold it clossed then install a external wastegate instead? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

Uhhh....

Wookalar

Quoting chop91vr4:

No. You would need to weld the hole on the turbine housing shut and then have a custom 02 housing made that has a specific tube for a wastegate to attach to.

prove_it

So weld the gate shut internally then use an O2 housing with a wastegate mounted to that?

Ummm....

chop91vr4

Quoting brisvr4:
Oh god!
Why??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

why? because I've read that a external is more accurate and if I buy the header that has the mount built into it then I was wondering how to use the same turbo but have a external for better regulation of the boost then what the internal does. Does that sound correct. for how much boost I plan on at least min 20lbs,

manikbastrd

Or you could drill out the W/g pin and then weld it shut and run an external W/g off the O2 housing.

tektic

Is your waste gate opening smooth and ported? Did you consider a larger diamater wg valve?

GVR4kauai

You could save a lot of Money and just run a holset acuator! It actually lets you start with around 15-18psi on just the spring alone no boost controller. So if you add in a ebc or mbc you can have up to 30psi of solid boost.

Wookalar

Quoting turbowop:
Yeah, you weld that sh*t shut and you're gonna need to plumb the 'gate off a manifold runner or at the collector.

I was thinking of the o2 housing like old school victory performance racing with the small tube coming off the wg hole and a square flange welded on it for an old school tial gate. I would have to look at a mitsu turbine housing but I could swear there was a hole on the front that gets welded shut. Like FP red or green that were converted to external gate.

chop91vr4

Quoting tektic:
Is your waste gate opening smooth and ported? Did you consider a larger diamater wg valve?

I'm currently running the 14b, my 16G I'm rebuilding new seals bearings compressor and turbine wheel and shaft, so I don't know how it works it was in pieces when I got the car, so going to a larger w/g valve would that consists of getting a different exhaust side of the turbo?

turbowop

Quoting Wookalar:
Quoting turbowop:
Yeah, you weld that sh*t shut and you're gonna need to plumb the 'gate off a manifold runner or at the collector.

I was thinking of the o2 housing like old school victory performance racing with the small tube coming off the wg hole and a square flange welded on it for an old school tial gate. I would have to look at a mitsu turbine housing but I could swear there was a hole on the front that gets welded shut. Like FP red or green that were converted to external gate.

I see. Like manikbastrd mentioned, the hole for the pin that the flapper rotates on would need to be welded shut. That's actually the setup I used on my old FPgreen.

Actually, I think mine was just tapped and then plugged with an allen grub screw.

Last edited:

chop91vr4

Quoting GVR4kauai:
You could save a lot of Money and just run a holset acuator! It actually lets you start with around 15-18psi on just the spring alone no boost controller. So if you add in a ebc or mbc you can have up to 30psi of solid boost.

So I just did some searching and couldn't come up with one for a td05 or when I typed in 16g did you have to buy one for a diff turbo and custom fit it?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts