The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Need advice on priorities...

manikbastrd

I am trying to decide whether I should invest in a fully built Trans from Jack's, or building a block for my next engine. I have a fully prepped race head, but don't want to put it on my current motor. I have decent compression on the current (155-160 on all 4) and a timing belt job was done recently. I am shimming my clutch pivot this weekend, but I know I will still have a bit of notchyness in the trans since it has been shifted so long with out being properly adjusted (p.o.).

I feel like I will use the trans now, and continue to use it later so that is a good option. I can get a built trans and maybe swap a bigger turbo and wait for my motor to go boom (might be a long time) while building the next However, I feel like getting the race head with cams and a new block together would also be a good choice. Even if I stay E316G (while saving for something bigger), it will be a fun car. Then again, if I do put more power down, I will probably start to hate my trans pretty quickly.

At this point I am chasing the Chicken with an Egg and trying to decide which I like better (first world problems)...So, I could use some input! Also, keep in mind I have a reliable fast and fun daily...the G-car is my project/racecar/daily(when it can...)

Thanks for reading my essay...have some boobs!
-Manik

img.php

92_talon_awd

I was in that situation years ago, built my motor and blew my trans to pieces. Had to save up some grands for Jack and my talon was a nice yard ornament. I'd strongly recommend trans.

Jesus_Negros

White people problems. Honestly both.

GSTwithPSI

I'd take care of the trans. It's been said a million times here, if you have to shim the pivot ball or extend the slave, you're just putting a band-aid over a real problem. The trans will only get worse. If you drop a bunch of cash on a built motor, you still won't have a powertrain that can even make good use of it. Not to mention, as soon as the trans shits out, you'll probably be trying to scrape up cash to build a new one. +1 for a new trans.

manikbastrd

Thanks for the replies guys, I have kinda been feeling the same way. I feel like I will get more enjoyment out of my current setup if I have a drive train that can utilize it properly. I really just wanted to idiot check myself that I wasn't missing any obvious reason why not to do it. Thanks!!!

Also,

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts