The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

I knew this moment would come

vr4play

I knew that my luck with this transmission was too good to be true. Out doing some logging and tuning yesterday on my way home from doing my taxes I get on this nice straight section of road I decide to stand on it and run it though the gears. First gear was awesome spinning all 4 just rolling into it. 2nd felt real good, 3rd only lasted about a second before the $hit hit the fan and all kinds of bad noises started coming from the transmission. Pulled it over and got a ride to pick up the truck and trailer. Really bad noises and not wanting to roll to get it loaded. Hopefully I can get it all apart later tonight. I just hope the center diff and my evo 3 first gear are still good. It doesn't leak fluid so hopefully the case is still good. This is exactly why I never drive it on the street anymore.

prove_it

Stock center diff? I'm guessing that may have let go.

I'll never forget the sound of my 1st gear blowing up, sounds so so so nasty.

Last edited:

vr4play

Transmission was built by me. Had TRE Evo 3 1st, 94 dbl syncro 2nd and stock 94 3rd through 5th. TRE 4 spider center diff. Trans had approx 7k miles on it. 5K of which are all racing miles. It has many many launches on it on auto-x slicks. I knew the stocl 3rd and 4th were the next weakest link. I had planned to tear it apart and magnaflux everything when I did the clutch. Just wanted to make it through the first event which is the 5th and 6th of April. I've been wanting to upgrade to the evo 3 3rd though 5th. I now have to try and get it all put back together to try and drive it some to seat the gears and the clutch. I'll be taking the launches easy. It's making some serious torque since the switch to E85 and the 2G cylinder head swap. It could be the transfer case as it has an unknown amount of miles on it. It was a spare I had lying around that I threw in there when I swapped out the output shaft last year. The old one kept leaking even after replacing the seal. I've got to finish the car I have on the rack now so I can start taking things apart. The hard part is going to be getting it in the shop as it doesn't want to move.

prove_it

Pop the center prop shaft loose at the rear diff, might help it move.

vr4play

Yup. 3rd gear carnage. Unfortunately it also got the TRE center diff. That is the biggest bummer. 1st and the input shaft are still OK. I'll have them magnafluxed to be sure.

Turbo99

That sucks it took out the diff. Tough luck dude /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I had too many launches to count and over 150 passes on my stock center diff and it never decided to take a dirt nap. Have a 4 spider in there now but I fear this type of carnage will strip a gear and chooch the center diff too.

Jesus_Negros

This is why I skip forplay.

GSX_TC

Ouch!

JamesFoster

Ouch. I'm always afraid one of these long hard 3rd or 4th gear pulls is gonna cause something bad to happen to mine. Yes I said long and hard pulls.

GSX_TC

Prob BG synchro shift

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts