The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Water in the car when it rains

Steve885

The foot well behind the passenger seat is soaked every time it rains. I can't find the source ....

mitsuturbo

Provide more details.
It should be obvious what you should be telling us along with the symptom, but I'll say it anyway....

Any rust?
sunroof?
How much water?

I could go on but you probably should be able to determine what details are relevant.

jnava

Staff member
Bad door seals can make it happen too.

Steve885

Yes I have sunroof,no rust and it's sloppy wet after 1/2 day of rain only behind passenger seat...what's common to leak on these muthers..I had a land rover for awhile the sun roof drains were common to glog and spill over...

coyotes

it rains in california? Is it the carpet that's wet or also the seats, door trim, etc? sounds like it is leaking in through the lower door seal area?

Last edited:

marvinmadman

The rear quarter windows are a well known cause to leak. The glue goes bad and cracks.

JNR

Do you have aftermarket speakers, where the opening was cut larger?

The wise PO did this and failed to address the issue, so when it would rain hard, water would come in...I fixed it by making an alum. plate + a plexiglass 'mount', with some foam tape and such, so that it seals now.

Also, the oem drain holes are sort of small stock, so I opened them up a bit.

No more water in the cabin!

JNR

Sorry not the best pics, but hopefully gives a better idea of what I was talking about:

1. The hole that was cut was really crude, so I first cleaned it up.

2. Then made a quick aluminum 'filler' piece to lessen the size at the bottom

3. Piece installed with JB Weld IIRC, but could've been an epoxy of some sort (been a long time)

4. Mounting plate being installed, as a mock-up (the speaker attaches to this piece before fastening assy, to door)

5. All done

Anyhow, I wanted to run the oem door grills and they fit on there, barely...Just don't remember if I had to trim the inside part or not to clear; want to say no, but not 100%.

JNR

Quoting Steve885:
Yes I have sunroof,no rust and it's sloppy wet after 1/2 day of rain only behind passenger seat...what's common to leak on these muthers..I had a land rover for awhile the sun roof drains were common to glog and spill over...

Woops, missed the part about being behind the pass. seat...Could be the drain holes in the rear door not keeping up; like I said, the oem's are small and doesn't hurt to open them up.

Want to say what I did was remove the door panel and run a crapload of water down the door as if it was pouring hard...Want to say I did it to where it bypassed the sweeper, to get the full effect. If your sweeper is good, shouldn't be pulling in too much water down the doors.

As mentioned, check your door seals also...Silicone spray, or better yet dielectric grease will help keep them supple...Check your door adjustment @ striker, etc. to be sure it is indeed closing all the way.

donkeylips

I've got similar issues with my GGSX; I've had the carpet out for over a year because it would get soaked in the front floor area, but it will now pool in the rear floor area.
The speaker opening thing is interesting, because a PO opened up those holes on my car (and it looks ridiculously nasty - been meaning to clean it up). Also interesting about the rear quarter windows.
In my case, the car has been taken apart so many times it could be anything. The master cylinder gaskets are probably missing or something.

Mine only seems to get water in it under certain rain conditions (like when it rains sideways).

What about removing some of the interior, sitting in the car, and have somebody spray it down with a hose?

Steve885

Well I let it go for a day and a half..it's been raining like hell.. I checked the back foot well and I swear you could fill a small bucket. I used a shamwow to clean it up I had to ring out like 8 times..the strange thing is nothing is wet other that the foot well..nothing around the sunroof.nothing under the front seat nothing on the driver side..I'm baffled !!! I might jus drill a drain hole in the pan as stupid as that sounds...

coyotes

is it wet under the rear seat? Maybe it is leaking in through the rear or side windows and just going underneath everything to the bottom?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned