The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

EBC rotors and pads

transparentdsm

i was thinking of getting these rotors EBC Ultimax USR Slotted Sport rotors and a set of EBC Red or Green Stuff pads

does anyone have any opinion on these or even better first hand experience?

Jesus_Negros

Had those rotors and redstuff on a dd a while back. They're okay for a dd and lasted a good while. If I remember correctly they were kinda noisy at first. But my DD wasn't that fast just wanted a bit better breaking than oem.

Last edited by a moderator:

transparentdsm

ive been driving my car really really hard on some really windy roads the last 3 months. i just went right through a set of portfield r4s pads and a cheap set of oreilly rotors in 10k miles. i need something better. i mean i have like another 3k miles left on them, but by then there going to be completely toasted.

Jesus_Negros

AWD car? My car was rwd and that setup on front and rear. I've never had Porterfields. And I don't know how well these brakes do in your driving style lol.

transparentdsm

yeah in my VR4. ive been having a lot of fun with it lately and i dont want to have to change the brakes after 15k miles. then again maybe i need to change my driving to not burn them up so fast. im looking for the best upgrade before i have to actually do a 5 lug swap and a brake kit upgrade. at that time ill probably get dsm 5 lugs, evo rims and calipers and probably upgraded rotors and pads for that as well.

Struc

PowerSlot rotors and Hawk HPS Pads. I buy the same combo for everything I own. Best setup I've ever found.

coyotes

upgrade to a bigger brake kit if you want something better.. I think the stock braking system is lacking and a heavy car will just eat through any kind of pad and rotor if you do a lot of aggressive braking.

transparentdsm

yeah, but i dont have 1,000$ to put into the brakes, hubs and rims right now. 300$ is pushing it, but i don't have a choice really, the rotors are warping already.

edit: also my car doesn't make a lot of horsepower and i don't plan on pushing it to much further. as of right now the car stops great and the braking is more then suitable for me, i just want something that will last a little longer and brake a little quicker.

Last edited:

coyotes

you'd probably be good with those.

I have priced out 3000gt or cobra brake upgrades at around 400-500 bucks. That would just include budget style pads and rotors, but a 13" rotor will offer a lot better stopping power out of the box and better fade resistance than the stock GVR4 setup. I plan on going this route, but doing better pads and rotors on top.

r4pt0x

Red Stuff are quite noisy (they make a constant "grindig" noise) and wear rapidly. They sound like pagid RS 4-2 on good temperature but don't make as much friction as the pagid. Also the wear on brake discs is much higher and not as smooth as with the pagid.
If it's OK for you to have sqeaky brakes when heating up / cooling down, pagid rs 4-2 blue are absolutely superior.
Ferodo DS 2500 or 3000 have a little less friction but especially the 2500 are completely silent and perfect for a daily driver. The contact pattern isn't as smooth as with the pagid RS 4-2 but still really good. They also tell you when they are about to overheat - the pagid are just gone from one braking point to the next - much later than the ferodos (bright red glowing discs...), but without any warning.
Anyways, the 2500s tend to kill the discs when they overheat - I had 2 sets of warped front discs from overheated 2500. The pads are still useable afterwards in contrast to EBC red - they are completely burned and start to crumble at the edges when overheated.

Green stuff are only a mild upgrade over stock pads but have a horrible contact pattern on the disc. I used them at the rear of some FWD cars, but wouldn't use them anymore if there are other pads available.

If you want a decent upgrade for a daily driver I would recommend the ferodo DS 2500.

Also if you don't really need the cleaning effect of a slotted disc, go for normal ones - they will have much less wear on the brake pads. Slotted rotors will reduce the pad lifetime by 1/3, especially with softer compunds like red stuff or DS 2500. Green stuff pads are completely incompatible with slotted rotors as they are way too soft. They will be gone in no time and completely ruin the discs.

SSGdave

Quoting Struc:
PowerSlot rotors and Hawk HPS Pads. I buy the same combo for everything I own. Best setup I've ever found.

Yep. Or depending on what the car is for, HP plus.

transparentdsm

Quoting coyotes:
you'd probably be good with those.

I have priced out 3000gt or cobra brake upgrades at around 400-500 bucks. That would just include budget style pads and rotors, but a 13" rotor will offer a lot better stopping power out of the box and better fade resistance than the stock GVR4 setup. I plan on going this route, but doing better pads and rotors on top.

but even then i need new rims to fit the rotors. im running stock wheel on the car. so add another 300-400 in wheels on to the 400-500 and all the sudden im at 1000$ for a brake upgrade. not to mention ill probably need new tires.

CutlassJim

If you're on 16" or bigger wheels go with the outlander rotor.

EDIT: Just saw the stock wheel comment. Good pads and rotors it is then.

EDIT2: Oh some reading for you ladies.

click

Last edited:

Struc

Quoting transparentdsm:
how hard are you on your brakes?

I used to wear out stock parts all the time, so I'm guessing I'm fairly hard on them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The PowerSlot rotors & Hawk HPS pads have always been a good value for the life you get out of them.

coyotes

yeah I have warped my rotors up really good already, I am on all stock stuff. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I am super hard on brakes though.

ghostinthevr4

I've ran EBC pads on my Miata with some supposedly brembo rotors great combo but that was a light car and everything last forever on a Miata because it is light. For the Galant I run regular rotors with Hawk pads longevity is great I was DD my car for the last 4yrs until I changed my setup.

transparentdsm

i got a great deal on stoptech slotted rotors and stoptech performance pads, so im going to give them a try. thank you everyone for the help. im glad i didnt just buy the EBC stuff like i was planning on it.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned