The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

You think you have rust?

donkeylips

I present to you 924/1000:

Still going strong.

Not that competitive at the autox though

IncorpoRatedX

holy sh*t, these cars are getting rough.

here i sit with three mostly rust free chassis' in my driveway.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

Chi271

So innocent on the outside.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif that side shot makes her worthy to fix..well to some maybe lol.

turbowop

Quoting Alpha Male:
holy sh*t, these cars are getting rough.

Lots of rusty cars in the spotlight lately. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

bobdole

I don't like seeing all these rust pictures.

Last edited:

Gizmovr4

Rotchester, NY /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

kama1

Wow,my 1st vr4 had rust exactly where yours is.but mine had a bit more:(
Re shell and move on.

Jesus_Negros

Gee golly gosh

MellowVR4

Throw some flares on this thing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

G

Staff member
That look's pretty bad, I guess ride that thing till the wheels fall off.

donkeylips

That's been the plan for some time now and it's been working wonderfully. If it completely cracks in half and I still live in a region that has snow I might re-shell to a 1g DSM or another semi-rusty vr4. Otherwise I'll find something clean to re-shell to. I love this car and really wish I could find a clean BG A72 replacement.

992gnt

Sounds like some of you need to quit hoarding all the clean shells! Mine isn't quite as bad as the OP's, but it's getting close!

G

Staff member
You need to buy one from the west coast and not drive it in winter!

donkeylips

You're preaching to the choir.
Trust me, I would never a clean vr4 in the snow. I've gone very far out of my way to store my rust free cars. I own 6 cars and only 2 of them will ever see snow. I have a horribly ugly 1g with 192k on it that I even store because it has zero rust.

The problem is that getting one within the budget that can be driven that far is impossible. Shipping is expensive. Even for an intelligent person that is great at planning, its a logistics nightmare. Sellers are usually terrible and they never take good pictures.

donkeylips

I think that pictures of rust trouble areas should be mandatory in the for sale section. Just like adding a price and location. Look at every thread. Everyone is asking the same question. I don't think there are any exceptions to this. It would really streamline things.
You already can't post a car for sale without underbody pics. Let's just make it official.

I was interested in a car on here recently and the seller was either clueless, a horrible photographer, or both. The seller advertised the car as completely rust free, but in one of the terrible pictures you sent me you could clearly see that it was a mess.

992gnt

Isn't that the truth. I've been chasing down shells for 2 weeks now. Can't get replies to emails or PM's, can't get pictures of what I really need to see, and a shell that is more than a couple hundred miles away becomes a logistical nightmare. Would you send $1k to the other side of the country without seeing what you need to see with your own eyes? And then add in the transportation costs for a cross country move and suddenly you're working with a $2k shell, that may or may not arrive as a basket case. It's very frustrating.

DynastyLCD

Quoting donkeylips:
I think that pictures of rust trouble areas should be mandatory in the for sale section. Just like adding a price and location. Look at every thread. Everyone is asking the same question. I don't think there are any exceptions to this. It would really streamline things.
You already can't post a car for sale without underbody pics. Let's just make it official.

^this x1000000000. would have saved me a trip to Maine for 73 which was sooooo perfectly clean and mint according to the PO... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

3rdstrikedsm

These cars hide rust well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts