The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

wheel offset and selection help

bmxr152

Okay so i have two wheels in mind. My current wheels are bent and i want to replace them. I want to get either the two listed below. Im having a hard time deciding. Both are 16x8 and have a +20 offset. I was wondering if anyone knows how well the 20 offset fits. I didnt see it in the kkow wheel and tire combos. Anyways Heres some links. I would like to know what you think looks better.
first set
set 2

bmxr152

Btw this is what the car looks like and Maybie somone want to photoshop them for me?

bmxr152

Im running a 235 tire currently on my 16x7.5 but with a 38mm offset.

G

Staff member
20 will work on the front but not the back.

Last edited:

bmxr152

Whats up with the back? Camber wise? The biggestt they make is a +25 if that makes a difference. I could get the correct size offset in a different wheel but i really want a 16x8 and im not looking to stretch. I just Dont like how my tires bulge out past the wheel.

turbowop

Quoting G:
20 will work on the front but not the back.

If anything, it will work better on the back since the back wheels seem to sit inside the fenders more than the front. A lot of people use a 5mm spacer on the back to even it out anyway. The lower the offset, the farther out it pushes the wheel.

That said, IMO, +20 is too far. Ideal for an 8" wheel is +40 or +35. Anything less and the wheels start to stick out and will require narrower tires and camber to keep them from poking.

Below is a pic of my car with 17x8 +35 wheels. A +20 would stick out another 15mm. I already have -2.5 degrees of camber in the front, so you can imagine what it would take to fit a +20. I run a 235 width tire. You would need something like a 215 tire, and possibly more negative camber to get it under the fender. And why would you want a narrower tire?

imscc-galant-vr4-article-01-small.JPG

Last edited:

GSX_TC

First set look like knock off CCW classics.

jogalant

I like set 2. What about getting 2 +20mm wheels for the front and 2 +0mm's for the rear. Will that kick the rears out too much? I think the 3/4 inch difference might be just right. You might be able to get away with it by using smaller width tires.

There's a white one here on the forum with black XXR 16 x 8's. Maybe he can chime in.

bmxr152

Yes i know there knockoffs. I can only afford around 800 for 4 rims so yeah. I just bought 4 225 50 16 continental extreme contacts a week ago and when i went to throw them on at work i noticed the rim was bent. I balanced it out but any speed over 65 and it shakes bad. Anyone else have a wheel reccomendation?

bobdole

I started out with 17 8.0 +25. Then added a 10mm spacer. So they will work no problem.

wbdm.jpg

bmxr152

What wheels are you running. Those look really nice. Also what size tire

bobdole

te37v. 215-40-17.

turbowop

Like I said, stretched tires and camber will make it work and it looks good on Bob Dole's car, but it won't perform as well.

cheekychimp

This car is using 3KGT hubs which gives I would estimate about 15mm extra track both front and rear. The wheels are EVO 8 so I believe offset is +38. Tyre size is 215/45/17.

Apples to Oranges I guess but I figure you are looking at a similar situation all said and done with a +20 offset on stock hubs. It is less rubber to the ground, but it isn't as if you start sliding around everywhere. Then again I'm not putting down the sort of power Mark is so maybe I'm less critical of grip. Thing is though, if I could have run a wider tyre, I would have. I really don't see the point in buying a +20 offset if you don't already own the wheels and have the option to get an offset that fits better.

Shop around!!!

bmxr152

Okay so i got the 20 offset figuring i would have to do some modifying to get them to fit clean in the wheel well. The back isnt to bad but the front kind of sticks out. The back i can adjust Camber more but the front im waiting on my Camber plates and still need to slot out my evo struts some. Even with my old wheels i had like almost zero Camber.

Btw 16x8 with +20 offset on a 225 50 16

mitsuturbo

Quoting cheekychimp:
This car is using 3KGT hubs which gives I would estimate about 15mm extra track both front and rear. The wheels are EVO 8 so I believe offset is +38. Tyre size is 215/45/17.

What rotors are those? They don't look much, if any larger than stock. How did you get 3k hubs into VR4 front knuckles?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned