The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

350+ WHP evo316g cars out there? post your dyno plots

tsitalon1

I'm sticking with my Evo316g, as I really don't want a large turbo anymore /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Any of you guys running 350+ whp on your GVR4's with PUMP GAS? If so, post up your dyno plots and mod list if you don't mind /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Looking for pump gas guys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

IncorpoRatedX

I dont have any dyno results but that's pretty much where I was sitting with my old white gvr4

2g pistons, fuso box truck fmic, 3in exhaust, 550's, safc and chip, act 2600, agx's and 1g springs, 4 bolt rear.

stock cams, stock head, 19psi, 93 octane.

tsitalon1

Interesting - I would thik you would need more than 19psi to get to 350whp.

Doesn't the Evo316g max out at 42 lb/min? With stock cams, I would think you were quite a bit lower than 350whp at 19psi, though I could be wrong.

IncorpoRatedX

i might have been closer to 330 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I derived that from my gvr4 being overweight (rolled scales at 3800 lbs with tool box in trunk, sub, amp, spare parts and misc sh*t inside) and still running a 12.92 1/4 mile. Autometer boost gauge was found to have issues years later so it might have been reading incorrectly at that time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

turbowop

I had 503 modded with an E3-16g, 750's, fmic, 2.5" exhaust, ECMlink v3, etc. Felt more like 275whp to me at 20psi on the stock shortblock using 92 octane. It certainly wasn't anywhere near 350whp.

minneSNOWta

I am hoping to be somewhere in that range. Need to get the CM exhaust though because the stock exhaust is still on. Also need fuel pump.

Mods:
MAP Stage 1 2.3 (balance shaft delete)
FP3x cams, dual springs, stainless valves
Mild head port/polish
V3lite
Evo 560's
E3 exhaust mani, 2G O2
Dejon 2G intake pipe
ETS intercooler
Ported hotside MHI E3 16G

turbofonz

My 1g, 3 years ago:

dyno run

Basically says all the mods in the description/comments. The tune was very clean and the car went 11.65@119mph like this. Granted it's a lighter 1g. I could find the graph somewhere if you really want..

turbophein

this is a great topic. i too just decided to stick with my e16g for now, the car pulls good right now and, the boost isn't even turned up, its not tuned either. every time i try and go bigger i blow sh*t up. the car is fun for right now, especially if it holds together, i will keep the boost under 20psi i'm thinking.

i will be following this topic

tsitalon1

Quoting turbofonz:
My 1g, 3 years ago:

dyno run

Basically says all the mods in the description/comments. The tune was very clean and the car went 11.65@119mph like this. Granted it's a lighter 1g. I could find the graph somewhere if you really want..

This is exactly what I thought it would take(from youtube comments):
This was ~28psi spike falling to 25. About 14-15* up top. AFR's in the 10;s up top.

How badly did the BC272's affect your spool-up?

Last edited:

BpuVR4

i myself am hardpressed to upgrade my turbo until it dies...especially with the real potential of utilizing e85 in the near future for me. a previous owner of my car claimed 320 at the wheels with my current setup of E3 16G, 272 cams, 2g mas, 560cc, 255 (have 190 in there now), on a safc...i was skeptical, but really no way to know for sure unless i put it on the rollers. am eager to see what others say as well in this thread.

turbofonz

Quoting tsitalon1:

How badly did the BC272's affect your spool-up?

Barely. On the street the car had full boost by 3300-3400rpms. On the dyno, on e85, I have logs of 30lbs by 3000rpm LOL

Keep it simple. Smaller cams would still get you there, but the BC's were cheap and work fine.

This was with a ported 2g o2 housing and a shimmed stock internal gate. That o2 housing flowed enough for 125+ mph on e85.

IMO, for a pumpgas 16g, a big efficent FMIC and a CAI are key. Use the Evo timing maps to keep timing low in the mid range where you let the turbo spike high, and as the boost starts falling ramp timing.

I'm sure ~850cc-ish injectors would be enough depending on budget, but 1000+ leave nice headroom for down the road. Once the car went to e85 it was maxing the 1000's.

G

Staff member
My e3b16g made 365hp 5 or 6 years ago. Would have to dig up the dyno graph when it was tuned.

aem ems / speed density
aem uego
bored throttle body
ross pistons .20 over / fully built block
1g rods
arp everything
clevite bearings
hks head gasket
fully built head / hks springs / ferrea valves / hks 272's / cnc ported etc.........
ported e3 o2 housing
3" o2 housing back to muffler, no cat, no resonator
denso 720cc injectors
rewired supra f pump
toda cam gears
fp manifold / port matched
hks evc 6 boost controller
ported stock intake mani / extrude honed and port matched
93 octane
20-23 psi

Need to bump up to bigger injectors and more fuel pump as well as bigger fuel rail etc.....That turbo still has more in it for sure.

Last edited:

James

I would have to say that this answer is "all in the tune".

I don't plan on going past my 16g. Daily driving at 20psi with no tune... Mods in my sig. I'd call it the basic dsmers upgrade path.

cheekychimp

Anyone run a 264/272 combo on a stockish 16G car. I am wondering again how much spool and idle will be affected. I keep hearing contrasting opinions and wondered if anyone had real life experience. I suppose I should just throw them in and see for myself.

Paul.

desant78

I run a BC 272/272 with e3, cyclone, fp exhaust mani and evo 8 IC. Motor is a plan-jane 2.0L with stock compression. No dyno numbers yet but I'm hoping to have a tune dialed in and on a dyno by december.

Paul - got specific questions I could help with?

slugsgomoo

Quoting cheekychimp:
Anyone run a 264/272 combo on a stockish 16G car. I am wondering again how much spool and idle will be affected. I keep hearing contrasting opinions and wondered if anyone had real life experience. I suppose I should just throw them in and see for myself.

Paul.

I had those cams with an evo3 and the car was a hoot (crower springs and retainers and the limiter set at 9k- might not make power with the stock manifold up there but it sounds hilarious). Couldn't tell you about spool as I had 9:1 wisecos on eagle rods, and my spool was 24psi @ 2600rpm in 3rd if I remember right (let's just say it's been a while). Idled fine, but it was definitely lumpy. With the 272 on the exhaust you can tell the car has cams in it, regardless of how stealthy it is. Personally I think the 264/272 is a fantastic combo for a street car and has been kind of overlooked with all the new fancy sh*t that might be more fun at the track, but is less of a street car friendly setup.

jogalant

Quoting cheekychimp:

Paul.

I ran the setup you mentioned with a stock motor and exhaust. The only other mods were a keydiver chip, 3GMAF, bigger fuel pump, 550cc injectors, ported exhaust manifold, ported 02 sensor housing, a Starion i/c and a 3" dp. I loved it. The car idled great in traffic. I removed my FIAV and ISC because they were always breaking on me so I set it to idle at exactly 1K rpm. Perfect. It was a tad lumpy but soon you don't even realize you're driving with uprated cams.

The car drove and behaved like a responsible citizen until you stepped on it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif. With the stock exhaust, unless you stuck your ear next to the exhaust pipes no one knew. I left the exhaust stock because I didn't want to call attention to myself and was prepared to pay the horsepower penalty. That plus the cops here in Fairfax County are total Nazi's against noisy exhausts. Regardless, i think I had enough under my hood then,lol. The engine and dp always gave a nice deep growl working its way up to full song, something you wouldn't always hear with an aftermarket exhaust.

From waste gate pressure to 22 psi, the car pulled strong (22 psi was a hoot! but I didn't do it too often). I set everyday boost at 18psi and loved just how quickly the car responded whether you were "on" cam or off.

Last edited:

cheekychimp

This is really good news! Obviously it is time to stop second guessing myself and just throw these cams in. I'm positive this AMG cyclone flows more up top than the stock one so it might make the upgrade more beneficial too.

ghostinthevr4

The HKS 264/272 combo is great for a 16g type turbo I ran that combo long ago. Except I had an FP 18g and ETS FMIC, 650 FIC on a 2g MAF with stock intake manifold 255lph 3inch exhaust 28psi DSMLinkV2 at the time and I was beating carb motorcycles on the street with a stock 6 bolt. That combo had excellent response.

If you can find an hta68 or something for sale and you make you 350whp mark easier but if not good luck to you, it can be done. I believe there was someone with a VR4 who put down 368 or 386 with a big or Evo 16g on a mustang dyno. He posted the dynograph on the link forums those are good numbers for that turbo.

BpuVR4

bumping this thread up to see if there are is any new input...ran into it searching for something else. Wouldn't mind knowing a beast number of a E316G/2g mas/560cc/272 cams combination someone might've tossed up there some time in the past.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned