The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

issues with dip stick popping out...solved

Steve885

Why would this happen.. I've been told its bad rings.. I had a compression test done it was 190 across and leak down was good too...

Last edited by a moderator:

gvr4ever

I can be something as simple as the gasket on the stick shrinking and not having any grip left. 190psi? I thought 165 was new. Is this a turbo car?

Street Surgeon

Could need a new dipstick (they get worn), your pcv might be toast (get some krank vents), or if all else fails just get one of these. Or, you could make a cheaper version using a small hose clamp and the spring like this one.

ktmrider

^^ PCV is where I'd start, check-ball jams open then every time you go into boost it pressurizes your crankcase.

DON'T USE A CHAIN STORE PCV! Only use OEM turbo part, JNZ sells them relatively cheap or goto your local stealership.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I thought I had an engine issue, but new dipstick (after I broke the old one... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif) fixed it. I did have bad exhaust guides giving me smoke, though not blowby.

matt92vr4

I like krank vents instead of a pcv. They hold 100 pSI and don't fail. Done deal, no worries in the future.

matt92vr4

No, they are a valve that is used instead of a PCV

click

You only need the small one from the link above. They function just like your stock PCV except they actually work correctly and can handle the increased pressure. I was also reading on here that another company makes a suitable plastic version that is much less expensive.

Street Surgeon

Last edited:

Steve885

I've questioned this since I got my car back... When I bought the car it had a mini K@n on the VC breather I had a major melt down awhile back and had it repaired at a shop when I got the car back the someone had ran a vac line from the breather to the intake manifold... I disconnected today on a hunch and plugged the port.. The car ran way better...looking at the shop Manuel I guess that breather is supposed to plug into the intake after the maf.. Can some one correct me on that if I'm wrong

Last edited by a moderator:

EHmotorsports

The pcv on the back of the valve cover goes to the intake manifold and the port off the side close to the thermostat housing goes to the intake behind the maf.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned