The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

hood vents

galant651

really been wanting to make or buy some functional and good looking hood vents, i wanna see what everyone here has seen or come up with.

Chi271

Ford gt500 is a nice choice.. I got lucky and found a set of EvoX vents that I'm gonna experiment with. Will update once there installed.

galant651

seen some of the gt500 vents, and not really a huge fan. really like this one, and the evo 3-4 vents.

Last edited:

cheekychimp

After slating the OP of that photo stating that those vents wouldn't be very functional, I actually became a real hypocrite because I started to like the way that looks. I found a set of vents almost identical to that but one side was missing the drip tray beneath it.

It wouldn't be difficult to duplicate a drip tray for the other side. The vents themselves have some surface rust in places, so would need some tidying up plus either paint or powder coat. I think they would look good but I'm still not sure how functional they would be mounted pretty much right over the strut towers.

galant651

yes it wouldnt be as functional as a vent like the evo8 but it would still help with underhood temps. it would take alot of work but they could be made functional.

Turboman_456

I picked up a damaged 280ZX hood that I am,going to have the vents in it cut out and put in my hood.

G

Staff member
I like this mani chimney. Seems like a better idea than a ss mani shield. Someone make this functional with hood vents.

y7nm.jpg

prove_it

Yea, but a chimney will force more air around the manifold and isolate the heat better.

G

Staff member
I think evo3 + chimney would be the most effective. I would offset the vents after the chimney so the incoming air from the front grill creates a scavenging effect and exits the vents.

image.png

GSTwithPSI

The problem with any functional vent is at the end of the day, it's still just a hole in the hood that lets water in. Here lately since I've been DD'n the car, I carry my hood vent covers and an impact driver with a 10mm socket in the trunk in case it rains. That way I can just zip the covers back on real quick before sh*t starts getting wet.

Even in a pretty decent rain, you would probably be fine with the RS hood vents uncovered as long as the car was in motion. But if you were parked during a downpour, your engine bay would probably get pretty wet. For larger vents like the Evo 3 ones, I'm not even sure how you would deal with the water. I suppose just never driving in the rain would be the only real solution.

tektic

I have bigger issues I'm tackling with my car, but when I get the chance I want to make 4 |___| shaped cuts between the front most sections of skeleton on my usdm hood then bend them down to make 4 louvers one either side. I may or may not fill the sides in with sheet metal.

I don't drive the car on rainy days and I park it indoors, but if protection from weather was needed, a large magnetic sign seemed like a good cover. I think that would be ok while moving.

89Patches

I drive my car without the hood vent covers in the rain, I haven't had any problems to date /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

WaRrIoRs16

I had a 1g with a carbon fiber hood with vents in it. Sometimes the belts would squeal momentarily after sitting in the rain. The only other thing I noticed was some of the exhaust manifold studs were getting a little surface rust on them. The car sometimes sat out in the rain for 8 hours during work.

cheekychimp

My car has had JDM vents forever and sits outside pretty much 24/7 unless I put it in a car park when we go out. My engine compartment does look like crap! That's caused in part by the bad air pollution over here and very dusty environment. In contradiction to that we also get a lot of rain and that pouring through the hood vents does cause a lot of rust/erosion around that area. But I'm pretty sure Mitsubishi planned for it and I have never had an issue, squealing belts or otherwise purely as a result of the vents.

Then again if I had an engine compartment as clean as some of you guys, I might think twice about using vents as well.

Last edited:

GSX_TC

I have an oem vented Jdm hood and the way it works to not allow the engine to become flooded up with water is the metal backing behind the vents carry the water to the front of the hood and falls in the grill area, this is if you are using the vents with the factory backing on them of course though because I know some people take all that off and have only the vents with nothing behind them. Running them with nothing behind the vents would allow a bunch of water to fall all over the motor.

89Patches

Quoting GSX_TC:
Running them with nothing behind the vents would allow a bunch of water to fall all over the motor.

Water cooled bro

G

Staff member
You could do something like this:

janper_206v_img600x450_1399696498nfvivg5449.jpg

janper_206v_img600x450_1399696499cghx9l5449.jpg

janper_206v_img600x600_1399696498rzh7rg5449.jpg

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned