The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

2 Galant VR-4s battling it out!

blackvr4

My friend and I both live really close to each other and both ours cars are currently running, So we wanted to decide whose got the faster Galant in our area! Our cars sit very even so it really came down to a drivers race! Both cars use NLTS, both cars sit on stock rims and 195 economy tires.

Friends Kensington Grey Galant @30psi Mods:
Kevinsgalant_zps433aea0a.jpg

Pump gas
Built motor
HKS272s w/ springs
FP 3065
2900ACT
Fidanza Flywheel
950cc injectors
walbro 255
3 inch exhaust
DSMlink,
2GMAF FP 4 inch intake

My Summit White Galant @31psi Mods:
2b29d58e-0b2b-4307-bc66-e03298869093_zps507b61c0.jpg

E85
Stock motor
BC280 w/ spring
Bolt on 8 blade HX35
ACT 2600
fidanza flywheel
FIC 1550cc
Walbro 400
3inch downpipe bolted to a 2.5 inch exhaust, with electronic 3 inch cut out
DSMlink
2GMAF FP 4inch intake

Here is the video

1st run

click

He had me by half a car the entire way! Close race!

2nd Run

click

I short shifted into 2nd he immediately put a car on me, then I shifted from top of 3rd into 2nd /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif Dono how High RPMS got but tach was pined at 9grand, I caught it really fast, there appears to be no damage done, close call poor stock motor!

So looks like he took best 2 out of 3 So hes got the faster galant!

Last edited:

blackvr4

Here is a Bonus Video A few other races from earlier in the night and a different angle from the 2 galants

click

desant78

oh man this makes my "slow" galant even slower!

Props to both of you, i've seen the grey one around but haven't had a chance to meet you blackvr4. Hopefully I will, I'd love to see your galant!

Keep on kickin ass /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

blackvr4

Do you have a facebook? Maybe next time we are out I can send you a message on FB! It would be sick to have 3 galants crusin around!! lol

What mods you have done?

Last edited:

5OF2k

I understand the NLTS but, damn. That seems more like bouncing it off the limiter to hear it than NLTS lol.

I have NLTS on my car as well, but mine just sounds like an explosion between gears, a lot like anti-lag rather than a limiter. Keeps it right at 21psi between shifts too(full boost for now)

-Jake

GSX_TC

Nice, those are quick.

blackvr4

Jake, do you use antilag with you nlts? Neither the grey galant or the white one use antilag between shifts, we got it set to 6K on both cRs shifting at 8,000.

And I know its breaking the law /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif but its much damn fun! The road we raced on is super diserted, we got there at 2:30am sat on it for over 1 hour not a single car came by. I dont really like that 3 lane road that the grey galant ran the mustang on, just seems too scary with cars driving around, i personally wouldnt race on there, too wreckless

desant78

Quoting blackvr4:
Do you have a facebook? Maybe next time we are out I can send you a message on FB! It would be sick to have 3 galants crusin around!! lol

What mods you have done?

Hey if you are Alex, then I just sent you a friend request lol

I have a simple 16g build, full wieght minus AC. I'm on a keydriver chip running 560's with all the support mods. I was gonna go to redz but work has been kicking my ass lately, so I haven't been able to come out, but that's changing soon!

5OF2k

Quoting blackvr4:
Jake, do you use antilag with you nlts? Neither the grey galant or the white one use antilag between shifts, we got it set to 6K on both cRs shifting at 8,000.

Yes, I do have anti-lag on for my NLTS, and my limiter is set to 7500 for now. The T67 is a big betch, needs the extra punch to keep it spooled, otherwise I have to wait for it to hit full boost again between shifts.

-Jake

transparentdsm

^ thats why it doesn't sound like your bouncing off the rev limiter. if you uncheck it in ecmlink and go do a pull your car will sound like that too.

5OF2k

Im on AEM as well, so it's different. But either way, my comment was more based on the time it was bouncing off the limiter between shifts, not the fact that is was bouncing. I.E. the shifts seemed extra slow to me....

Haven you seen F&F?? lol /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

-Jake

transparentdsm

Quoting 5OF2k:
Im on AEM as well, so it's different. But either way, my comment was more based on the time it was bouncing off the limiter between shifts, not the fact that is was bouncing. I.E. the shifts seemed extra slow to me....

Haven you seen F&F?? lol /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

-Jake

i might be wrong, but i think the sound your hearing is both cars. it sounds like one of them hits the rev limiter once and the other hit the rev limiter twice. there shifting at the same rpm and at almost identical times. i thought there shifts were pretty good.

thecman02

Even if they were shifting slower that's the benefit of no lift to shift, stay nice and spooled instead of bang gears real hard and quick to keep boost up.

Looked like some fun pulls. I figured your friends car with CAMS would have straight murdered you, but you kept it close running on the E85. I love that stuff.

blackvr4

Shoot I forgot to add I have BC280s! Damnit, Edited the first post! Our cars make power very differently, Where he is on pump gas he has a 62mm turbo hes making his power on Airflow/boost, with timing in the 13-14 degrees range. I am on a 54mm turbo making most of my power on timing due to the E85, with timing in the 21-22*. I cant imagine His car on E85 lol

5OF2k

Quoting thecman02:
Even if they were shifting slower that's the benefit of no lift to shift, stay nice and spooled instead of bang gears real hard and quick to keep boost up.

Yea, that's the benefit of NLTS for sure, but all that time you're bouncing it off of the 2step you arent accelerating. Call me crazy, but a properly setup and healthy trans can be shifted way quicker than that(Im going to try and upload a vid of mine later today as a "for instance"), and keep you moving forward. It can also be done without "banging" gears.....hence why my stock '90 DSM trans is doing just fine after over a year of "spirited" daily driving, the last 6k or so of which was on my T67 at 21 lbs.

Im not trying to talk sh*t, really. Just stating my observations is all....

-Jake

blackvr4

The rev limit bouncing you hear in the video is my friends galant. He has recenely started using NLTS and he is still getting used to it. IN my galant i use nlts and shift it faster because I'm used to it, Im sure once he gets a hang of it it will be different.

click

Here is a better video were u can actually hear my car.

5OF2k

That's much better, definitely sounds normal lol

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts