The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Flashable ECU

Hello Everyone. I make Flashable ECUs (ROM Tuned with ECUFLash) for the 3000GT VR4 community along with adapter harnesses.

I am trying to gauge the interest, if any, for a Plug n' Play flash tune solution for this platform.

AFAIK, there has been little work in this for this vehicle. Is there a need for this technology in this platform?

Brett

LOL . . . Yup I figured I would make an account and check interest. There are a lot of ECUs out there that could work as donors. With my knowledge of the Turbo circuits from the 3000GT VR4, the donor ECUs do not have to have ALL of the relevant circuits populated. Just have to be in the same "family" and they will work. Thankfully, almost all ECUs are in the same family . . . LOL

Last edited by a moderator:

turbowop

How is this different from ECMlink? Looking at your product I see pricing is similar, but it can't do standalone speed density? I'm all for more options, but for the money, ECMlink seems like more bang for the buck...and it's extremely well proven. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

jepherz

Staff member
By "little work" do you mean it has already been done and there are how-to pages on how to do it? Cause it has, and there are.

This is why I am posting looking for feedback and to gauge interest.

In the DSM community, DSM Link has long been the proven method of tuning older DSMs. Having an EPROM ECU was a pre-requisite. But DSM link is pricey and you are locked into their products as well as stuck with older technology ECUs.

In the later cars, especially the EVOs, ECU Flash and EVO Scan have largely surpassed DSM Link due to the newer ECUs. I was able to bring that over to the 3000GT platform, and I believe that bringing an additional ECU platform to this platform the will allow the DSM community to piggyback on the EVO community while simultaneously bringing this platform a faster, newer, more common ECU.

I also know that some have tried to make conversions for the EVO 8 and that the conversions had some issues. I think around the knock sensor circuit. This is easily fixed without having to change out the knock sensor. Basically, the knock sensor is nothing short of a piezo element that, for all intents and purposes, behaves like a microphone. On the ECU, there is a band pass filter tuned to the platform. This band pass filter is comprised of several resistors and a capacitor. Take for instance the 6G72 engine. The same knock sensor is used on just about all of the different variants. Yet each platform specific ECU has a different band pass filter to ensure that the ROM sees actual knock correctly.

If there is enough interest, an appropriate EVO ECU can be identified, it’s sister ECUs can be identified, Galant VR4 Knock circuits can be reverse engineered (along with any other circuits that are problematic), and the ECUs custom built to accommodate all of the Galant’s stock systems while still allowing the EVO code with all of the various EVO sub-tunes and aftermarket ROMs being able to be ported over to this platform. This of course, would be targeted to be a lower cost solution than DSM Link is currently, including any needed ECU modifications.

Just in CPU speed alone, this would be a large jump ahead as the EVO platforms use a much faster ECU that what is used in the Galant platform. Additionally, the newer ECUs are largely surface mount with newer components including capacitors that don’t have the same problem that all of the older Mitsu ECUs were plagued with.

I welcome all questions and comments on this topic as there may be a lot of information out there that I have not been privy to.

Brett

turbowop

Educate me on how a newer, faster processing ECU will make my ECMlink equipped car better. I'm serious, BTW. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

DR1665

@Wop - Faster processor speed means the ECU can handle the same amount of data faster or more data at the same speed.

A financial analogy: Think of processor speed as the maximum amount of money the ECU can spend at once. Let's say the EPROM ECU can spend $1 at a time. If each bin on the fuel map costs a nickel, the EPROM can handle 20 bins at a time. With me so far? Okay. Suppose the EVO ECU can spend $5 at a time. Now you can handle 100 bins at the same speed, or increase the amount of data in each bin by 5X without slowing down the processor. Make sense?

Think increased granularity; more data points. It's a finer tune.

Of course, I could be completely wrong!

cheekychimp

99vr4, Mark posed a question about speed density previously. I actually picked up an EVO 8 ecu a while back but I haven't really got any further than that because of some of the complexities that you mentioned. I was under the impression however that a speed density solution was available if you can get the EVO 8 ecu to play with the VR4 nicely.

So is this a possibility?

As a JDM vehicle owner using a cyclone intake, I'd also be very interested in some sort of address I could flash that would control the cyclone solenoid/actuator at a definable no. of rpms. Since the cyclone switches runners to increase airflow I am sure that once the airflow figures start increasing globally the switch over point could be reduced.

I think DSMLink and ECMLink are great products and I will probably continue to use them for certain vehicles but I would certainly be interested in a plug and play solution for my daily that would improve performance and could be set and left alone.

Last edited:

4Grim

I am really interested in a plug and play setup using a Evo 8 Ecu. My buddy has done the conversion with a custom built jumper harness and his 6g galant is running really well. Its not a VR4..but its a LS with a n/a 4g63 that will be turboed in the near future. He said he would make me a jumper harness to run a EVO 8 ecu, but he is a very busy guy right now, but if you can provide a similar alternative I would not mind paying for your product.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts